Sponsored by:

991 GT3 RS

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 07:54 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
if you have the cash and can get the car and want it (like me) I don't see the big deal in paying more. its going to sell for more also down the road so its all relative. it might even actually be a better financial move to get the RS over a regular GT3 no matter how long or short you would hold onto either car. if your only justification for buying this car is your ratio and rationale on the price vs. lap time curve then it might not actually be for you. I don't think Porsche execs are rolling the RS out because they feel theres a market of customers demanding a car that can give them "just a few more seconds" on their lap times. The customer base for this car 95% couldn't hit and publicized record lap times in either the GT3 or the RS so upgrading to the RS for that reason is pointless. this car is just for the brand recognition and flagships, collectors, ignorant rich guys, hardcore track guys, ect ect. but no one is shopping it simply because they cant get the lap times they demand out out of the regular GT3, and trying to decide of the few extra seconds are "worth it". Guys are shopping it because its going to be awesome, fast, exclusive, a Porsche, looks cool, and yes does perform awesome on the track most of all, but no one is shopping for seconds and looking to pay 15k-20k per second. if they are they are cocky as hell about their driving abilities and should be driving for a living.

lol, very interesting conclusion you have suggested. Actually it makes perfect sense, and I agree (we) have possibly less than 5% of the drivers are that shilled to handle the true perform of these cars. We're a bunch of kids that want some toys to enjoy on the weekend. Normally I hear 4 to 5 track days a year for some which is minimal. End of the day have fun, and no need to justify why you spend crazy money on cars that's what my wife tells me.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:08 AM
SuperDarius
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

bigger is better...wing,***,wheels,power,sticker...for these i choose the RS
Old 10-29-2014, 08:12 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,791 Likes on 2,193 Posts

If someone can readily afford it, no brainer to me to get the RS over the regular GT3. As others have said, it's not about how much faster it is, since it's not a race car. It's about how much more like a race car it will look and feel, that 'race car you can drive on the street' thing. And I predict that the RS will be more fun on the road at reasonable speeds than the regular GT3.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:25 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

if you have the cash and can get the car and want it (like me) I don't see the big deal in paying more. its going to sell for more also down the road so its all relative. it might even actually be a better financial move to get the RS over a regular GT3 no matter how long or short you would hold onto either car. if your only justification for buying this car is your ratio and rationale on the price vs. lap time curve then it might not actually be for you. I don't think Porsche execs are rolling the RS out because they feel theres a market of customers demanding a car that can give them "just a few more seconds" on their lap times. The customer base for this car 95% couldn't hit any publicized record lap times in either the GT3 or the RS so upgrading to the RS for that reason is pointless. this car is just for the brand recognition and flagships, collectors, ignorant rich guys, hardcore track guys, ect ect. but no one is shopping it simply because they cant get the lap times they demand out out of the regular GT3, and trying to decide of the few extra seconds are "worth it". Guys are shopping it because its going to be awesome, fast, exclusive, a Porsche, looks cool, and yes does perform awesome on the track most of all, but no one is shopping for seconds and looking to pay 15k-20k per second. if they are they are cocky as hell about their driving abilities and should be driving for a living if they are really that good.
Good points into the mind of RS owners. Who knows, maybe GT3 ownership will eventually cause me to lust after an RS.

I do agree that an RS will likely hold its value better 10 years from now, than a "regular" GT3, just like the Speciale will hold its value better than a plain jane 458.

Last edited by Drifting; 10-29-2014 at 08:26 AM. Reason: .
Old 10-29-2014, 09:01 AM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I want it for the wider ***.
And the sexy wing.
I cannot +1 this any harder.

This echoes my sentiments exactly.

I buy the GT3 RS's because I find them incredibly hot. Oh, and because I am crazy enough to (and actually can, because of how they are built) daily drive them.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:04 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by Tre
Out of curiosity, what would people consider an acceptable decrease in time? Would people still buy a Speciale despite the significant increase in price over a standard 458 even if lap time differences aren't huge? Again, I'm just curious and honestly want opinions of why the speculated 5 sec drop isn't big enough for the price difference.
Pretty misguided buying one street car over another for its fractional lap time gain. If someone really cares about ringing the last few tenths out of their ride then buy a spec miata or spec boxster and spend the $150k saved on coaching.

Originally Posted by maomao911
I don't buy the argument that GT3RS is not worth the price difference. Most buyer of GT3RS don't and shouldn't need to care about the price difference. They buy the car for its design intention rather than design practicality. Even if the laps times are the same, there would still be enough buyers of the RS based solely on exclusivity and rarity.
Yup. That and they've proven to be exceptionally good at holding value over time.

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I want it for the wider ***.
And the sexy wing.
This is the correct answer. It's a bling thing.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:26 AM
Tre
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 to all the posters who described the passion and extraordinary excitement the RS provides regardless of lap times. I've been wanting an RS since the .1 RS and would buy the 991 RS in a heartbeat if the Porsche gods allowed it (limited numbers are an obstacle). It's honestly a shame that 'Ring lap times have become benchmarks. A 'Ring lap time doesn't describe or explain how a car makes a driver and/or owner feel each time (s)he gets in, starts the engine, and hits the road or track. I actually respect McLaren and Ferrari not publicly announcing P1 and LaFerrari times.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:46 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I can't wait to get it after watching the initial ring video - hell I've even got my wife convinced we should get 2 if the opportunity arises...
Old 10-29-2014, 09:49 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 243 Posts

So what are we thinking for price? I kinda want one now.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:56 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

$180 to $185k seems the most logical, but could see it be over $200k if they announce a switch to FI and the 992 for the rest of the lineup at the same time.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:59 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Whoever came up with that $160,000 base I think was spot on. but that's my opinion based on someones opinion/inference.
I can't see them doing a 4.0 with the more exotic materials for only $160k.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:13 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

It will probably hold value better than the base GT3, longerm ownership should be lower given the cost of capital on the price increase vs depreciation curve.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:16 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

I think you guys need to be on a list now to get one which is a long shot. I have a friend in GA who's dialed in alread basically promised a slot which are far from view.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:23 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
I can't see them doing a 4.0 with the more exotic materials for only $160k.
I can.

This is no limited edition 4.0 they will want to sell 1000+ again.
The limited edition mini 918 991.2 GT3RS 4.6TT Hybrid now, that's a different story...

Originally Posted by NateOZ
It will probably hold value better than the base GT3, longerm ownership should be lower given the cost of capital on the price increase vs depreciation curve.
Always has, always will.
Even automatic's who historically go worthless quickly.

Originally Posted by Maverick787
I think you guys need to be on a list now to get one which is a long shot. I have a friend in GA who's dialed in alread basically promised a slot which are far from view.
I'm on the list since 2012, dealer says will know allocation soon.
I already spec-ed it; Java Orange or Mystery Purple.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:25 AM
Road Racin
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Any indication of markup?
While picking up my gt3 yesterday I asked and there wasn't an RS list yet and I could be first.... But then he said he wasn't sure what market demand would be and could be 20-50k over...
reducilious.....

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 RS