Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GT3 RS

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 12:01 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

On the bright side, at least a swap-in 918 style wheel will be available.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:52 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

I’m not certain a few pounds lighter weight and a few extra HP translates into a sufficient
performance increase to justify the price increase and sacrifice the daily driving comfort
of the GT3. Previous GT3 vs GT3RS models have demonstrated only a 1-2 second per lap
difference on most tracks <fastestlaps.com> which I suspect are mainly attributed to the more efficient RS wing design.

The lower and smaller GT3 wing has never been very effective in generating downforce
with much of the airflow being blocked by the rear window. The 991 GT3 Wing is further
compromised by a 17 inch long brake light on the lower (active) surface thus destroying
the laminar flow of air in that area.

With the longer development time of the GT3RS, I was hoping some of the electric motor
technology of the record-setting 918 might be applied to the RS combining the instant Torque response of electric motors with the huge Torque / HP produced by Turbocharging.
(Yes, I dream BIG!) Guess we’ll all have to settle for a 918 Steering Wheel! LOL.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:19 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,720 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
I’m not certain a few pounds lighter weight and a few extra HP translates into a sufficient performance increase to justify the price increase and sacrifice the daily driving comfort of the GT3. Previous GT3 vs GT3RS models have demonstrated only a 1-2 second per lap
difference on most tracks <fastestlaps.com> which I suspect are mainly attributed to the more efficient RS wing design.
Well, driving comfort will be sacrificed, but the laptime improvement is not gonna be a couple seconds. It will be major with lower weight, more power, lower gearing, much more downforce, and much more aggressive suspension.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:30 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

25 extra hp and the extra DF will be worth a second or more by itself. I think those fender louvers are going to be huge. Massive increase in front downforce.

Not sure what to think about 21's but compared to 20's can't hurt too much relatively. The reg. GT3 is pretty darn fast straight line.

Hard not to like this one. Even with the gadgets. Almost as sexy as the ACR concept.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:56 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RS five seconds faster on the ring. That is not a lot on a long lap like that. This is of course speculation from supposed mule times.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:08 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I’m not certain a few pounds lighter weight and a few extra HP translates into a sufficient
performance increase to justify the price increase and sacrifice the daily driving comfort
of the GT3. Previous GT3 vs GT3RS models have demonstrated only a 1-2 second per lap

The lower and smaller GT3 wing has never been very effective in generating downforce
with much of the airflow being blocked by the rear window. The 991 GT3 Wing is further
compromised by a 17 inch long brake light on the lower (active) surface thus destroying
the laminar flow of air in that area.

With the longer development time of the GT3RS, I was hoping some of the electric motor
technology of the record-setting 918 might be applied to the RS combining the instant Torque response of electric motors with the huge Torque / HP produced by Turbocharging.
(Yes, I dream BIG!) Guess we’ll all have to settle for a 918 Steering Wheel! LOL.
Ahh, you are talking the 991.2RS, Thats whats running around the ring now. The Java Orange .1 RS was wrapped up a year ago but than the GT3's went all sparky...

Originally Posted by wanna911
25 extra hp and the extra DF will be worth a second or more by itself. I think those fender louvers are going to be huge. Massive increase in front downforce.

Not sure what to think about 21's but compared to 20's can't hurt too much relatively. The reg. GT3 is pretty darn fast straight line.

Hard not to like this one. Even with the gadgets. Almost as sexy as the ACR concept.
Vipers new ACR must be a rocket in a cement mixer kind a way..
Even the current TA is one hell of a car.
But no Porsche with Porsche support, PCA etc.

And as Porsches go the wider the betterer
Old 10-28-2014, 11:10 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 979 Likes on 433 Posts

How many threads can a yet to be released car generate? Hmmmmmm.......
Old 10-28-2014, 11:12 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

difference on most tracks <fastestlaps.com>

technology of the record-setting 918 might be applied to the RS.
Agree.

I see the appeal of the RS, but it's a one trick pony. You pay $50,000 more to be 1 second faster on most tracks.
5 seconds on the "ring" which is a huge track.

With the RS you lose a car that can be daily driven, and used for many other things that you wouldn't do with an RS. Plus the RS just looks crazy anywhere but a track.

I don't think we'll see real performance hybrid tech trickle down until the 960, or at least the next full RS generation.

Last edited by Drifting; 10-28-2014 at 11:14 PM. Reason: .
Old 10-29-2014, 12:27 AM
Tre
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Out of curiosity, what would people consider an acceptable decrease in time? Would people still buy a Speciale despite the significant increase in price over a standard 458 even if lap time differences aren't huge? Again, I'm just curious and honestly want opinions of why the speculated 5 sec drop isn't big enough for the price difference. I can understand the statement about the street ability between the 2. Heck, I've always been dumbfounded that less (insulation, glass window, etc) costs more!
Old 10-29-2014, 12:41 AM
maomao911
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't buy the argument that GT3RS is not worth the price difference. Most buyer of GT3RS don't and shouldn't need to care about the price difference. They buy the car for its design intention rather than design practicality. Even if the laps times are the same, there would still be enough buyers of the RS based solely on exclusivity and rarity.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:43 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I want it for the wider ***.
And the sexy wing.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:06 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

RS ownership is like an exclusive club. Only a few differences over a non RS, but just enough to make die hards lust over it and joe public to wonder what the hell is it. That there is what makes it worth while to those who love em.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:04 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by maomao911
I don't buy the argument that GT3RS is not worth the price difference. Most buyer of GT3RS don't and shouldn't need to care about the price difference. They buy the car for its design intention rather than design practicality. Even if the laps times are the same, there would still be enough buyers of the RS based solely on exclusivity and rarity.
very well put

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I want it for the wider ***.
And the sexy wing.
i just wnat the "RS" sticker.

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
RS ownership is like an exclusive club. Only a few differences over a non RS, but just enough to make die hards lust over it and joe public to wonder what the hell is it. That there is what makes it worth while to those who love em.
u know it..
Old 10-29-2014, 06:42 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mooty
very well put

i just wnat the "RS" sticker.

u know it..
+1 Once you've gone RS...you can....never...
Old 10-29-2014, 07:29 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 611 Likes on 295 Posts

50k for 3 sec around the Ring??? I was def going to jump in on this car but for that money and little time reduction its just the added Mischa body kit basically and even less of a DD.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 RS