Sponsored by:

Rear deck lid

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 10:41 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Rear deck lid

I kept hearing rattling noises from rear while driving and dealer could not duplicate on a test drive. Today while I was washing the car I pushed down on the rear deck and noticed it was it. Anyone else noticed this?
Old 10-24-2014, 10:46 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Received 228 Likes on 74 Posts

Mine hasn't been a problem, but I do need to correct the paint on it. It's the only area of the car that is swirled.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:46 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I did. They had to adjust the locking mechanism.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:57 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Wow, so I am not the only one. It was really bugging me
Old 10-25-2014, 09:46 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
I kept hearing rattling noises from rear while driving and dealer could not duplicate on a test drive. Today while I was washing the car I pushed down on the rear deck and noticed it was it. Anyone else noticed this?
Yes, I have been having this issue. My dealership GT3 tech has reduced it with 'adjustments ', but I still hear it. Its really annoying. For some reason it is difficult to completely resolve.
Attached Images  
Old 10-25-2014, 09:52 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I've been super impressed with the build quality of the car - till now. Now I've got a minor rattle when I hit the Botts Dots or lane reflectors. I assumed it was the rear tail lights, as they had clear plastic shims that immediately started to work their way out shortly after taking delivery. I'd assumed that they were totally gone after a complete wrap of the car, where the rear bumper would have been pulled off and the tail lights also pulled out. Now you've got me thinking...
Old 10-25-2014, 10:00 PM
silverrules
Drifting

I have the plastic shim sticking out under neath the rear tail light as well. I push it in and it comes right out again after a drive. Its good to know Sam was able to resolve the rattling. Wonder what got adjusted with Sam's car. I can't see how the lock can be adjusted?
Old 10-26-2014, 08:11 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

I have the plastic shim sticking out under neath the rear tail light as well. I push it in and it comes right out again after a drive. Its good to know Sam was able to resolve the rattling. Wonder what got adjusted with Sam's car. I can't see how the lock can be adjusted?
I don't know what he adjusted but I think the bolt hole is more of an ellipse than a circle so there is wiggle room.
That said, I adjusted my wing for more downforce (to experiment with it) this weekend and guess what? In the rear up position, the wing rattles, no matter how tight the hex screws are. Now I'm irritated again. I'm sharing this so you can see if your rattle is from the wing not the lid. Mine now rattles when I move it manually from side to side.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:58 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

I had the same clear rubber shim coming out of the rear taillight and the Mechanic took the taillight off and removed them. He said do not need and they could of been there for when they shipped the car
Old 10-26-2014, 10:16 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Intermittent rattles in a GT3 ? I had them all the time with my 996-3. Shake, rattle and roll is the nature of this beast...that doesn't mean I don't want to stop them.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:27 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Sam, I just put my ear next to the lock and its definitely the lock mechanism not the wing in my case. I am just glad I know where the noise is coming from.

Rockit, I know what you are talking about and had the usual noises in my 997 GT3 but this one is different. Each time you hit anything on the road you hear it. No biggie. I posted this so if others hear the same thing at least they know where its coming from. I made one trip to dealer and t hey couldn't find it, duh
Old 10-26-2014, 10:33 PM
Fowwiee
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sam, I just put my ear next to the lock and its definitely the lock mechanism not the wing in my case. I am just glad I know where the noise is coming from. Rockit, I know what you are talking about and had the usual noises in my 997 GT3 but this one is different. Each time you hit anything on the road you hear it. No biggie. I posted this so if others hear the same thing at least they know where its coming from. I made one trip to dealer and t hey couldn't find it, duh
In my experience, dealers are pretty much useless with rattles...
Old 10-26-2014, 10:37 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Sam, I just put my ear next to the lock and its definitely the lock mechanism not the wing in my case. I am just glad I know where the noise is coming from.
Great, glad you found it. Easy fix.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:09 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rockit, I know what you are talking about and had the usual noises in my 997 GT3 but this one is different. Each time you hit anything on the road you hear it. No biggie. I posted this so if others hear the same thing at least they know where its coming from. I made one trip to dealer and t hey couldn't find it, duh
I am thankful for threads like this...not the noises. Now I know where to start looking if I hear something similar...

Quick Reply: Rear deck lid