Sponsored by:

Lightweight Bucket Seats

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 10:04 AM
Kansas911
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Lightweight Bucket Seats

I'm sorry if this is repetitive - I went back through pages of forum posts and didn't find exactly what I was looking for:

I have a December build slot for a GT3 that I aspire to use primarily on the weekends/track days. Because of that, I am now considering the lightweight bucket seats instead of the 18-way Adaptive seats (which I have enjoyed in other 911s I've owned).

Here are my questions if someone wouldn't mind helping answer for me:

1) Am I correct that in the US, these bucket seats have no adjustment of the backrest angle? That it is just at one angle, that is it?
2) Am I correct that the driver's seat will adjust vertically electrically?
3) Am I correct that both seats will slide forward and reverse manually?
4) Are there any other seat adjustments?
5) Will I be able to flip forward the backrest to get access to the storage area behind the seats or is the backrest completely fixed?
6) One reason I am considering these seats is that I could then add five point harnesses if I wanted. How does that work given you can't get the cage in US cars? Do the five point harnesses attach to the back of the bucket seats?
7) And if I do go with five point harnesses, does that mean I still need to attach the normal seatbelt when tracking? Or how can I disable to seatbelt warning chime?
8) I am 5' 9" - is there anything else I should consider? I might just stick with the Adaptive Seats, but if there were ever a car I were to purchase that felt perfect for bucket seats, this is the car!

Thank you in advance for your help!
Old 10-24-2014, 10:40 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

1) Am I correct that in the US, these bucket seats have no adjustment of the backrest angle? That it is just at one angle, that is it? YES
2) Am I correct that the driver's seat will adjust vertically electrically? YES
3) Am I correct that both seats will slide forward and reverse manually? YES
4) Are there any other seat adjustments? NOT SURE
5) Will I be able to flip forward the backrest to get access to the storage area behind the seats or is the backrest completely fixed? NO, unhinged
6) One reason I am considering these seats is that I could then add five point harnesses if I wanted. How does that work given you can't get the cage in US cars? Do the five point harnesses attach to the back of the bucket seats?
GMG makes a roll bar/harness bar. need this for proper attach points Others like RSS may follow soon.
7) And if I do go with five point harnesses, does that mean I still need to attach the normal seatbelt when tracking? Or how can I disable to seatbelt warning chime? normal 3 pt needed when driving on streets. a small dummy piece in receptacle will silence alarm, can also attach belt behind the seat into normal 3 pt receptacle.
8) I am 5' 9" - is there anything else I should consider? I might just stick with the Adaptive Seats, but if there were ever a car I were to purchase that felt perfect for bucket seats, this is the car! maybe spring 2015 these or similar seats will be available thru Porsche tech after the fact. get the free seats and change out at the time you install roll bar

search posts by eduardo Z356. He and Mooty among others are the real deal
Old 10-24-2014, 10:50 AM
Kansas911
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by seapar
1) Am I correct that in the US, these bucket seats have no adjustment of the backrest angle? That it is just at one angle, that is it? YES
2) Am I correct that the driver's seat will adjust vertically electrically? YES
3) Am I correct that both seats will slide forward and reverse manually? YES
4) Are there any other seat adjustments? NOT SURE
5) Will I be able to flip forward the backrest to get access to the storage area behind the seats or is the backrest completely fixed? NO, unhinged
GMG makes a roll bar/harness bar. need this for proper attach points Others like RSS may follow soon.
7) And if I do go with five point harnesses, does that mean I still need to attach the normal seatbelt when tracking? Or how can I disable to seatbelt warning chime? normal 3 pt needed when driving on streets. a small dummy piece in receptacle will silence alarm, can also attach belt behind the seat into normal 3 pt receptacle.
8) I am 5' 9" - is there anything else I should consider? I might just stick with the Adaptive Seats, but if there were ever a car I were to purchase that felt perfect for bucket seats, this is the car! maybe spring 2015 these or similar seats will be available thru Porsche tech after the fact. get the free seats and change out at the time you install roll bar

search posts by eduardo Z356. He and Mooty among others are the real deal
THANK YOU!!!
Old 10-24-2014, 11:08 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

For a weekend driver, occasional light track use, I think that these seats are still a must have option. Couldn't get them in 2014, they will be limited (at least from the factory) to 2015 models. If they are anything like previous lightweight buckets, unless you are daily driving or road tripping often, they will be very comfortable. Worse case scenario, if you hate them, it will be easy enough to sell to others that wanted but couldn't get them, and put the standard seats in the car.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:30 AM
Bokke
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by seapar
2) Am I correct that the driver's seat will adjust vertically electrically?
I was told that they do not, but I would not need to worry as I am 6'5" and would not need a vertical adjustment.

Which dealer or you getting yours from, mine is PP with the scheduled build date of 11/28.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:30 AM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I got them for my DD.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:56 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Bokke
I was told that they do not, but I would not need to worry as I am 6'5" and would not need a vertical adjustment. Which dealer or you getting yours from, mine is PP with the scheduled build date of 11/28.
Drivers seat DOES adjust vertically.. Let's not confuse the man
Old 10-24-2014, 11:58 AM
Bokke
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Drivers seat DOES adjust vertically.. Let's not confuse the man
Thanks for clarifying!
Old 10-24-2014, 12:00 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by bigkraig
I got them for my DD.
Same here.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:03 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Got them on mine too.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:06 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

they are on my order. Had the GT2 seats on the old car and loved them. Wife hated them. Oh well, that's life.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:14 PM
C63toGT3 Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting them on mine and planning on DDing my car. I drove a Tecnocraft T1 bucket in my last car (almost no padding) and was never uncomfortable. The Porsche bucket will be like a Barcalounger in comparison.

But I also ordered an extra 4-way seat for the passenger... Just in case.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:16 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Me too...DD and 5-6 track events per year.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:22 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

No one has really addressed wether or not they greatly affect access to the rear for storage.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:25 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Mike in ca had brought up a great point on another thread,that if you don't have the roll cage, then you can slide once it all the way forward with one all the way back, and slip in whatever soft duffel bags you want to put back there. From the configurator, it does not look like there is much room between the backrests to slot anything back there that way

Quick Reply: Lightweight Bucket Seats