Sponsored by:

New Break-In Information from Excellence

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 09:05 PM
NMM991
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Break-In Information from Excellence

I've probably read all of the articles on proper break-in procedures, but with my 2015 GT3 sitting at the port in Rhode Island I was interested to read a featured article in "Excellence" November 2014 on Porsche's Direct Fuel Injection systems.

The author Chris Andropoulos wrote: "Porsche does not prescribe any sort of break-in on its newer engines. However, a special break-in regimen is necessary given the combination of high compression DFI engines and the fuel saving normal shift points of Porsches nearly ubiquitous PDK and Tiptronic transmissions. The engine’s piston rings may not wear in properly if a brand-new vehicle is puttered around town, as upshifts often occur at less than 2000 RPM in the normal automatic shift mode. This can lead to heavy oil consumption in moderately driven cars. It is strongly recommended to drive a brand-new automatically shifted Porsche in the sport mode or manual shifting mode, varying the engine RPM as much as possible and allowing the engine to decelerate in gear often. After 1,000 - 1,200 miles the oil and filter should be changed, and break-in is complete."

Good article and the author's recommendation makes sense to me.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:27 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I had to wait a few hundred miles more before I could do the oil change, but otherwise exactly what I did. Thanks for the post.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:33 PM
C63toGT3 Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NMM991
"...It is strongly recommended to drive a brand-new automatically shifted Porsche in the sport mode or manual shifting mode, varying the engine RPM as much as possible and allowing the engine to decelerate in gear often. After 1,000 - 1,200 miles the oil and filter should be changed, and break-in is complete..."
Awesome. Could just say "Drive it like you stole it for the first 1000 miles."

Uhm... OK, I will!! No need to tell me twice.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:37 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any need to limit to 4 or 5 thousand rpm within the first X miles within that spec?
Old 10-23-2014, 09:57 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I liked what I was reading until the break in oil change part. I am from the camp that used to do this religiously but no more. The manual does not specify it and the veteran Porsche mechanics will tell you all those break in oils in recent model cars looked brand new when drained, with no dirt or metal particles.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:08 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

The article apparently suggests that a break-in is required for the first 1000-1200 miles. I don't think not allowing the engine to nearly lug by auto shifting at 2000 rpm means it's appropriate to go to the complete other extreme and drive like you stole it either.

I interpret break-in as a period of driving when you do things differently than normal. To my mind that means don't do the things you would normally do, including immediate or repeated runs to redline or allow auto shifting at lower speeds, during the break-in period. Otherwise, why even talk about a break-in? The article should just have said drive it to redline off the lot and be done with it. And if nothing is wearing in, and parts aren't shedding material into the oil, why bother with an early change?

That's my take anyway. I'm sure everyone will continue to have their own interpretation. This argument will go on....
Old 10-23-2014, 10:10 PM
pwn
7th Gear

The oil change is cheap insurance and peace of mind. Peace of mind goes a long way.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:15 PM
NMM991
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
I liked what I was reading until the break in oil change part. I am from the camp that used to do this religiously but no more. The manual does not specify it and the veteran Porsche mechanics will tell you all those break in oils in recent model cars looked brand new when drained, with no dirt or metal particles.
Regarding when to change the break-in oil, I suspect that there is no reason to change the oil in a very high percentage of the cars because the part tolerances and assembly procedures are so good today. However, the rings do have to seat and there will be some material from that process. In another life, I was involved in building equipment used in engine machine lines; the senior engineer (the "master mechanic" as he was called) at Cadillac told me to have the dealer change the oil before I took receipt of the car! Things have certainly changed, not just engines but also the oils, but I will still change my oil after 1,000 or so miles - peace of mind for me.

In my view, it's just as important to break-in the transmissions, rear-ends and other mechanicals. It's got to take several hundred miles to "seat" all the bearings and let the gears run in. But after 1,000 miles I will start to run the car hard but may not take it to 9,000 until I am closer to 2,000 miles. My greatest concern for these cars is how the valve train will hold up under heavy usage, i.e., regular tracking. I hope to see 100,000 miles on my car as it will be a daily driver in good weather as well as an occasional track car.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:23 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NMM991
Regarding when to change the break-in oil, I suspect that there is no reason to change the oil in a very high percentage of the cars because the part tolerances and assembly procedures are so good today. However, the rings do have to seat and there will be some material from that process. In another life, I was involved in building equipment used in engine machine lines; the senior engineer (the "master mechanic" as he was called) at Cadillac told me to have the dealer change the oil before I took receipt of the car! Things have certainly changed, not just engines but also the oils, but I will still change my oil after 1,000 or so miles - peace of mind for me.

In my view, it's just as important to break-in the transmissions, rear-ends and other mechanicals. It's got to take several hundred miles to "seat" all the bearings and let the gears run in. But after 1,000 miles I will start to run the car hard but may not take it to 9,000 until I am closer to 2,000 miles. My greatest concern for these cars is how the valve train will hold up under heavy usage, i.e., regular tracking. I hope to see 100,000 miles on my car as it will be a daily driver in good weather as well as an occasional track car.
What you say makes absolute sense and I used to do just that for years. I would think that Porsche (and others) don't want to have engine issues down the line, during warranty (cost) and afterwards (reputation) and if break in oil change had an impact on the longevity of the engine, they would have recommended it. That's my rationale, and I'm good with it. I guess the unanswered question for future cars is: do you break in an electric engine or not? Since I never broke in a blender before, my extrapolation says no.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:56 PM
Gravity
Instructor

All good points and it's always up to your peace of mind but I'm a drive it like you stole it guy .It's never seen auto and am pulling hard to 7 k occasional bursts over. In a couple hindered klicks it's quite surprising how the motor has loosened up. It was born to rev. Go at it hard and enjoy
Old 10-24-2014, 12:14 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

Since I never broke in a blender before, my extrapolation says no
Have you ever purchased a $140,000 blender.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:26 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

With my next GT3, I plan to follow those recommendations for 1000 miles. I don't plan to go over 7k RPM for that period. Then I will change the oil.

Thereafter I will drive it like I stole it for the rest of the life of the car, and follow manufacturer recs for changing the oil after the first 1000 miles.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:27 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I interpret the best way to break-in is to use manual PDk only. That way you can precisely control your rpm's in what ever gear you are in. I broke in my Cayenne GTS the same way (manual tip) never falling below 2500 rpms while in gear during the first 1500 miles.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:20 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Just another theory but I still live by my philosophy that take it easy for 500 miles. Keep it under 5000 rpms and then start gradually increasing rpms on a warm engine. I am now at 1000 miles and have hit 7000-8000 rpms on several occasions and I have now considered my engine broken-in. No smoke on start-up and shockingly still very little oil consumption. Will now drive it like it was intended and will change oil next month before storage at about 1600 miles.

Am I right?? -who the heck knows; but I sleep good at night and have a piece of mind. This car is not made of glass.. It is built for some abuse. Yes - I do believe you need to break it in for at least 500 miles and never push above 7000 unless engine nice and warm but after that let her rip
Old 10-24-2014, 10:06 AM
Cyrek
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

Going to be tuff waiting but I'll do it....

I was told at my factory tour that all the replaced motors were run extensively at the factory instead of the normal sampling they do off the line? Who knows for sure

Quick Reply: New Break-In Information from Excellence