Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Break-In Information from Excellence

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 01:35 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What do they mean "Porsche does not have a prescribed method"? It's in the manual, but they also mention varying the RPM.

Although I am following the exact method referenced by Excellence. Oil change next week!
Old 10-24-2014, 02:43 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyrek
Going to be tuff waiting but I'll do it....

I was told at my factory tour that all the replaced motors were run extensively at the factory instead of the normal sampling they do off the line? Who knows for sure
Must have been a different guide with a slightly different story than the guy I had. I asked and was told that while all the GT3 engines were hot tested, unlike the regular motors, it was for no more than 15-20 minutes, not enough for a real break-in. Who knows indeed....
Old 10-24-2014, 06:09 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Must have been a different guide with a slightly different story than the guy I had. I asked and was told that while all the GT3 engines were hot tested, unlike the regular motors, it was for no more than 15-20 minutes, not enough for a real break-in. Who knows indeed....
A guy at the meat counter wearing a couple of gold chains assured me it was 21 minutes. I'm taking that to the bank. ;-)
Old 10-24-2014, 06:50 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

I can't believe this argument continues. Per the manual, break in by varying rpm's and change oil when the manual prescribes. Being **** with the car will not provide anymore security than those that follow what the manual says. Both will be covered under warranty.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:00 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
I can't believe this argument continues. Per the manual, break in by varying rpm's and change oil when the manual prescribes. Being **** with the car will not provide anymore security than those that follow what the manual says. Both will be covered under warranty.
I think many people consider that following the manual IS ****.

I also don't think problems are likely to arise for someone who plans to dispose of the car within or shortly after the warranty period. A proper break-in is more of an exercise in promoting long term engine life and performance after the warranty is long passed. It's also a mind set. Some people have a high degree of mechanical sympathy and others don't.

There will continue to be disagreement about this because people and how they will be using their cars are different. I follow a break-in process that makes me comfortable and happens to be pretty much the same as that suggested by the author of the article that the OP referenced. Others can do as they please. Having spent their money on the car, they've earned that privilege.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:59 PM
NMM991
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I think many people consider that following the manual IS ****.

I also don't think problems are likely to arise for someone who plans to dispose of the car within or shortly after the warranty period. A proper break-in is more of an exercise in promoting long term engine life and performance after the warranty is long passed. It's also a mind set. Some people have a high degree of mechanical sympathy and others don't.

There will continue to be disagreement about this because people and how they will be using their cars are different. I follow a break-in process that makes me comfortable and happens to be pretty much the same as that suggested by the author of the article that the OP referenced. Others can do as they please. Having spent their money on the car, they've earned that privilege.
Well said - enough on this topic!
Old 10-24-2014, 11:34 PM
HGM 10
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Totally agree, i did the first oil change at 2000 miles, ( revs no more than 6k Rpm's) i like to break in my engines, i think they last longer if you follow break in procedures, and they don't consume a lot of oil... Do what ever you like with your car but if you planning on keep in it for a long time i suggest you follow break in's procedures. Have fun revving it at 9k it is very special.
Old 10-25-2014, 05:20 AM
exponential
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cyrek
Going to be tuff waiting but I'll do it....

I was told at my factory tour that all the replaced motors were run extensively at the factory instead of the normal sampling they do off the line? Who knows for sure
Porsche can not afford to have any mistake on their replaced motors. They have enough on the first batch
Old 10-25-2014, 05:40 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by NMM991
Well said - enough on this topic!
Can you imagine if information were shared only once, correctly and succinctly on a forum?

Imagine no one starting a new thread or continuing an old one repeating the same info, often incorrectly, only for there to be a brand new discussion which broadly emulates all the previous ones. Then it wouldn't be a forum..

it's normal for people to rehash things 10x over, and as new people join the cycle repeats itself.. It's the nature of the beast.

I'm thinking we should address front lift actually, I'm not sure there is clarity yet, I mean, is it REALLY necessary?
Old 10-26-2014, 03:58 AM
UAEGT3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio

I'm thinking we should address front lift actually, I'm not sure there is clarity yet, I mean, is it REALLY necessary?

LOL

Quick Reply: New Break-In Information from Excellence