Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Last dance for Mary Jane - Last GT3 Cup Experience at Barber

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 01:28 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Brian coached me at Road Atlanta a few weeks ago. It was very helpful.
Bring your car to Road A sometime. Chin Motorsports runs a lot of really good de's there.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:04 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Did they say why they are stopping with the cup program?
Old 10-24-2014, 03:21 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by rubbaman
Well, I had some limited DEs in the past 30 years. But nothing like the quality and conditions and level of instruction like Barber. I had a couple of BMW club and PCA outings at Road Atlanta, and a couple at Mid-Ohio. This summer I did a back to back Performance//Masters at Barber. That gave me 4 days to learn the track. And also experience the GT3 street car. That and the fact I'm almost 60, I think they figured I would not have too much testosterone ruling the brain. As a younger crazier man, I might have acted more boneheaded. Like I said the Cup car is easier to drive than the GT3 street car if and only if you drive her below the threshold. Getting out of the pits and back in is a different story. HA!
Rob, great review. Definitely jealous. One question: why was it so hard to get in and out of the pits?
David
Old 10-24-2014, 03:48 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
Did they say why they are stopping with the cup program?
three totaled in about a year's time
Old 10-24-2014, 04:13 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Love Barber too. I was just there end of September. I shaved off 3 seconds since my last time there...which was 2 years ago. My best in my Carrera GTS...The Offical Wanna Be.... Was 1:45 in September. 88-90 degree days.

This is right in line as my car seems to be around 5-8sec behind your 3.8RS at various tracks.

Anyway I'd say in stock form driven by a decent DE driver the 991GT3 is easy a 1:30-32 car. R comp tires under 29....
I doubt 1:29 is achievable for a street 991 GT3 on R-comps. As Paver stated earlier in the thread, his friend who works at the track has stated 1:35 in full stock trim, which implies MPSC2 tires, which are R-comps. And that was the lap time for a Porsche driving instructor based at that track, not just a generic decent DE driver.

Also, the video from Nizer shows 2013 Cups on full racing slicks turning 1:30's, so it would be stunning if a 2014 street car on R-comps could do better than that. To be honest, it's a bit shocking that a stock street car on stock tires could get within 5 sec of a previous year Cup, driven by a top level pro on full slicks.

AP stated in his first interview on the new car that his goal was to build a car that reduced the lap time gap between a regular enthusiast and a pro driver. Based on these relative lap times, I'd say he succeeded!
Old 10-24-2014, 04:17 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by paver
three totaled in about a year's time
Hence, my initial question about damage insurance. The insurance deal, as described, looked like a bargain to me. They have been probably underpricing it by a fair amount. Then again, if priced correctly, not many would have taken the course. Too bad -- it has been on my back-burner for a while.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:35 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fbirch
I doubt 1:29 is achievable for a street 991 GT3 on R-comps. As Paver stated earlier in the thread, his friend who works at the track has stated 1:35 in full stock trim, which implies MPSC2 tires, which are R-comps. And that was the lap time for a Porsche driving instructor based at that track, not just a generic decent DE driver.

Also, the video from Nizer shows 2013 Cups on full racing slicks turning 1:30's, so it would be stunning if a 2014 street car on R-comps could do better than that. To be honest, it's a bit shocking that a stock street car on stock tires could get within 5 sec of a previous year Cup, driven by a top level pro on full slicks.

AP stated in his first interview on the new car that his goal was to build a car that reduced the lap time gap between a regular enthusiast and a pro driver. Based on these relative lap times, I'd say he succeeded!
Agreed on all points...and re: your last point, having an auto trans that works so well is a huge lap time advantage for the average driver so hats off to P although I wish manuals didnt have to die.

Originally Posted by hf1
Hence, my initial question about damage insurance. The insurance deal, as described, looked like a bargain to me. They have been probably underpricing it by a fair amount. Then again, if priced correctly, not many would have taken the course. Too bad -- it has been on my back-burner for a while.
Rubbaman will give details I hope but I remember when the class was initially described very little of the actual seat time was in the cup car. By far it was mostly in turbo and street GT3.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:45 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
Rob, great review. Definitely jealous. One question: why was it so hard to get in and out of the pits? David
I wasn't there, but judging from the video it would look like the sequential transmission was shunting badly and didn't work until the call is up to speed. This is normal with straight cut gears
Old 10-24-2014, 05:25 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah it was hard in first gear and trying to follow Hurley out of pits
as he was going too slow. In fact it won't even shift unless you are under power.
You have to be moving about 40 mph minimum.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:38 AM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's another video. This one of Cass Whitehead on the main straight with a lot of speed coming out
turn 15. Listen to the whine of the straight gears.

Quick Reply: Last dance for Mary Jane - Last GT3 Cup Experience at Barber