Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Looking Back

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 12:49 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 337 Posts

First off, thanks again Lar for the chance for some seat time in Scarlett. You know how I love redheads! Thanks also to Mike for joining us for the fun and being a rational and calm contributor to this board in the face occasional insanity.

The section I got to drive was highway 175 between 101 and Lakeport (take a look on the map to see how awesome a stretch of road it is). As many know, I love my GT3 and have been skeptical of the 991 GT3 after having a decent amount of seat time in the 991 C2S. By comparison, I found the 991 incredibly capable but dull. The 991 GT3 is a totally different animal. I said it more than once when I got out of the car, "the drivetrain is epic!". I found regular PDK really good but not at all engaging. Same with the electric / numb steering. The 991 GT3's calibrations are on a different level: super fast nearly telepathic shifts; steering with good weight and more than enough communication to the driver to let you know what the car is doing and how to put it where you want it. I was thinking of posting a thread after driving the car about the debate over hydraulic vs. electric and how, if other cars were calibrated like this, I would prefer electric...but that's for another thread. There is a ton of grip, a really quiet interior. The only thing I really wanted different in this car was a set of sport buckets. Add that and it's pretty much perfect.

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't already plugged in my wants into the configurator before driving Lar's car. Unfortunately for me, I deeply emotionally attached to my current car and didn't have the same reaction as Lar in that I no longer enjoyed my 997.2. On the way home, I still loved it. It also helps to delay the instant gratification response that I already have a Macan headed for delivery this week or next and a big remodel on top of that.

For now, the 991 GT3 is square on my radar. I'm still holding out for the GT4 announcement though before I make my next jump. But in reality, it's either the 991 GT3 or GT4.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:59 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
oh, dont get him started on PLATES. we just had a long discussion from PLATES to douchebags and bidet...... you dont want to know.
Yes, no need to rehash the topic of douchebags with badges who need to flaunt their "authority".
Old 10-23-2014, 01:02 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Originally Posted by speedoflight
the sequential on the cup and the PDK on the 3 is making you lazy!
LOL

There is nothing lazy about driving a Cup with a sequential gearbox and no ABS. Next time we're out at the track, I'm belting you in, so you can experience it first hand! Every time I get out of that car, I'm drenched in sweat. Even when it's cold outside and I'm wearing a t-shirt and shorts.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:56 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Wow what a great drive. You norcal guys having too much fun... need a car for up there :-)
Old 10-23-2014, 02:10 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

^ precisely
that's why I have a warehouse storage service all
set up
Old 10-23-2014, 02:18 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 337 Posts

..and a place to hide cars from unsuspecting spouses...
Old 10-23-2014, 02:33 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Originally Posted by ChrisF
..and a place to hide cars from unsuspecting spouses...
Shhhhhhh...
Old 10-23-2014, 04:22 AM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts

Awesome thread guys, exactly the kind of validation I was hoping to hear. Though I still don't want to give up the 7.2 yet, but would love to "add". Ping me next time you guys hit some nice roads. Would love to join.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:46 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by sunnyr
Awesome thread guys, exactly the kind of validation I was hoping to hear. Though I still don't want to give up the 7.2 yet, but would love to "add". Ping me next time you guys hit some nice roads. Would love to join.
it's 6am ;-) u up for it

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
wow a de-badged 4.0!!!!

if I owned that car I wouldn't be able to keep that bit of awesomeness to myself
stealthy and dirty
Old 10-23-2014, 03:11 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
First off, thanks again Lar for the chance for some seat time in Scarlett. You know how I love redheads! Thanks also to Mike for joining us for the fun and being a rational and calm contributor to this board in the face occasional insanity.

The section I got to drive was highway 175 between 101 and Lakeport (take a look on the map to see how awesome a stretch of road it is). As many know, I love my GT3 and have been skeptical of the 991 GT3 after having a decent amount of seat time in the 991 C2S. By comparison, I found the 991 incredibly capable but dull. The 991 GT3 is a totally different animal. I said it more than once when I got out of the car, "the drivetrain is epic!". I found regular PDK really good but not at all engaging. Same with the electric / numb steering. The 991 GT3's calibrations are on a different level: super fast nearly telepathic shifts; steering with good weight and more than enough communication to the driver to let you know what the car is doing and how to put it where you want it. I was thinking of posting a thread after driving the car about the debate over hydraulic vs. electric and how, if other cars were calibrated like this, I would prefer electric...but that's for another thread. There is a ton of grip, a really quiet interior. The only thing I really wanted different in this car was a set of sport buckets. Add that and it's pretty much perfect.

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't already plugged in my wants into the configurator before driving Lar's car. Unfortunately for me, I deeply emotionally attached to my current car and didn't have the same reaction as Lar in that I no longer enjoyed my 997.2. On the way home, I still loved it. It also helps to delay the instant gratification response that I already have a Macan headed for delivery this week or next and a big remodel on top of that.

For now, the 991 GT3 is square on my radar. I'm still holding out for the GT4 announcement though before I make my next jump. But in reality, it's either the 991 GT3 or GT4.
Good thread.
GT4 if spec-ed with identical PDK-S as an option....
Manual or PDK?

I'm starting to think that the new RS might not suck.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:33 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

Lar- surprised u didn't get nailed for that europlate. Cop in motorcycle told me remove now and break in half or get cited. You guys need to hit Hw 128 towards Mendocino- tons of wineries. Mendocino is a beautiful city. Hit fort Bragg which is 10 min further up north of Mendocino and try out "eggheads" for breakfast/lunch. Mike
Old 10-23-2014, 04:01 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
it's 6am ;-) u up for it
Yea, early mornings are not my forte. But looks like, now I have to, you guys are having too much fun...
Old 10-23-2014, 06:44 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Good thread.
GT4 if spec-ed with identical PDK-S as an option....
Manual or PDK?

I'm starting to think that the new RS might not suck.
PDKS

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Lar- surprised u didn't get nailed for that europlate. Cop in motorcycle told me remove now and break in half or get cited. You guys need to hit Hw 128 towards Mendocino- tons of wineries. Mendocino is a beautiful city. Hit fort Bragg which is 10 min further up north of Mendocino and try out "eggheads" for breakfast/lunch. Mike
what's egghead?

Yea, early mornings are not my forte. But looks like, now I have to, you guys are having too much fun...
party harder, then go from party to thr drive, skip sleep. lots coffee.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:05 PM
PANHEAD201
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hughp3
Great write up, cannot wait for mine.
Fyf I will be listing a 2004 Cup soon if anyone interested. Brand New michelin's , tilton carbon clutch, strong 3.8 motor. I am not in the mood for trailering and new slicks anymore.

24chromium you have a newer Cup , how far off is the 991?
What a trip!!!! I just joined this forum so I can figure out how to sell a 04-05 model year GT 3 RS 4.0 997 built for the VLN Series at the ring.Thats where you take a 300 K car and win a ham.My local dealer wanted to know if I had a carfax.He told me they didn't make 997,s till 06.I wanna buy a Ford.If I got stuck in N.Dakota I might as well have a space ship as a gt3.Fantastic Pics.Fantastic trip.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:21 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

+1

Oof, you guys net up at 6am? Damn. I need my beauty sleep.

Would love to join you all some day up in NorCal.

Quick Reply: No Looking Back