Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So who's getting an aftermarket exhaust and why?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 01:26 PM
BenDiem
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts

All,

Is there a noticeable increase at idle and lower rpm (db/noise) with the Sharkwerks Bypass?

I'm considering this option if I can gain some noticeable noise at idle and below 4000 rpms as well, otherwise I'll just remove the exhaust/resonator plugs and cover up the plugs with some tape or something.

I think the car sounds great when the exhaust flaps open up above 4k, but anything less than that and the car just sounds anemic/boring below 4k rpms...

Tks/Cheers,

BB
Old 10-29-2014, 03:38 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Received 228 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by BenDiem
All,

Is there a noticeable increase at idle and lower rpm (db/noise) with the Sharkwerks Bypass?

I'm considering this option if I can gain some noticeable noise at idle and below 4000 rpms as well, otherwise I'll just remove the exhaust/resonator plugs and cover up the plugs with some tape or something.

I think the car sounds great when the exhaust flaps open up above 4k, but anything less than that and the car just sounds anemic/boring below 4k rpms...

Tks/Cheers,

BB
This is the problem I've decided to just put up with. I think you'll dislike disconnecting the valves. It's a little too annoying as the exhaust drones and booms just a tad too much. I'm coming from an AWE on X51 C2S, so loud doesn't bother me. But the drone was just over my annoyance limit.

The Sharkwerks is supposed to make the exhaust a little louder at all RPMs, but won't address the valves being closed. I decided to get one as everyone that has it loves it to see if it satisfies me.

Maybe after SEMA there will be more stuff that comes out. I know Fabspeed is working on something. I've talked to AWE, but they need a car to mock up an exhaust. iPE is a decent solution, but their massive dip in their dyno graph at about 3,000 RPMs made me too nervous to try it. Plus you would have to use a key fob instead of the PSE button on the car to address the open/closed valves. I'm also guessing it may drone badly as well at low RPMs with the valve open.

We need someone to come out with a tuned, valved solution that works with the PSE button. I don't know much about the Cargraphic option. We still have Tubi, AWE, Fabspeed, maybe Supersprint or a few others that may come out with something.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:35 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

for track noise requirements, Sharkster has a fix for the 997 variants...pull the vacuum hoses and cap the valve connectors with vacuum caps. Will that work with 991 GT3 ? I want to raise hell on the street, but not get black flagged on the track...
Old 10-29-2014, 06:41 PM
BenDiem
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts

Money,

As always, you're money, lol!!!

Tks for your comments/insight.

Cheers/B
Old 10-29-2014, 07:34 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm not. I'm kind of like Goldilocks when it comes to the tone and resonance produced by the exhaust. I'd end up buying four exhaust systems to find the one that suits me best. And there's a 50% chance the winner -- to my ears -- would be the stock system.

Porsche always does a reasonably good job of producing a nice sounding exhaust with about the right amount of backpressure for the application. It's very hard to improve upon their designs for naturally aspirated cars.

Aside from sound, an exhaust system might produce a small increase in power. But it won't be noticeable by the seat of the pants. And for measurable improvements, the best bang for the buck in terms of performance upgrades is always "seat time". (Second best is always tires. Exhaust is somewhere in the top 10, but not in the top 5.)

P.S. I had bypass valves on my 997 RS. The sound was great on the track with my helmet on, but gave me headaches on the street. The resonance was incredibly annoying (to me) on the street.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:43 PM
///Armin
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Marked
Old 10-29-2014, 09:59 PM
provoke
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a link to Sharkwerks bypass on my 15' GT3. And a few pics.. This was the perfect solution for me... I had a 997.2 with RSS bypass.. It works identical with the exception of pressing the PSE button vs Sport button previously. Sound is much louder, throaty and aggressive with this bypass...

If you want anything louder at low RPM then you are probably going to have to wait till someone comes out with sport or motorsport side mufflers.....

More gas pedal solves "all" problems..... :-)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lhv2kkxp7...uWSTYmt6a?dl=0

Hope this helps anyone considering....
Attached Images    
Old 10-30-2014, 01:17 AM
ToyGuyAZ
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone on here have the GMG bypass?
Old 10-30-2014, 05:03 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ToyGuyAZ
Does anyone on here have the GMG bypass?
Like the mono tip version ? I was curious but opted for sharwerks mostly do to the prolific sound clip video's available to hear the sound and a lot of people have it. I wondered how hot the mono pipe gets and worried it could melt the exhaust surround.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:25 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,780 Likes on 4,774 Posts

Anyone have the Akrapovic exhaust
Old 10-30-2014, 07:15 AM
Johns930
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

IPE, it's awesome!
Old 10-30-2014, 07:18 PM
philgva
Track Day

Originally Posted by Johns930
IPE, it's awesome!
Agree the IPE is awesome, I have the Cargrapic bypass, if you YouTube Porsche 991 GT3 Cargraphic with a Swiss plate it is mine in Monza. I am very happy and at the end it is personally. It is also a question of noise level and in Europe we have numerous track with low db. I am also awaiting the Akrapovic but IPE is a good option and faily decent price. The big issue will be warranty
Old 10-30-2014, 08:50 PM
ExceleratePerf
Former Vendor

For those of you looking for another option I would add Akrapovic into the mix. We just finished the install on a 991 Targa 4S and I have to say how impressed I am with the overall sound, fitment and design.

http://www.akrapovic.com/#!/car/prod...60&yearId=3406

The Akrapovič Sports Cup exhaust system is based on the Porsche Sports Cup rules, which state that the original exhaust manifold with integrated catalytic convertors must be retained. We therefore developed a performance and weight-optimized titanium end muffler with appropriate link pipes as the connecting piece to the manifold. This kind of construction reduces the weight dramatically in comparison to the original exhaust system. The weight distribution of the vehicle is improved considerably because of the weight reduction in the area behind the engine and the rear axle, which has an extremely positive effect on the handling. The look of this system with a deep racing sound is completed with a set of titanium tailpipes.

For anyone interested contact us for pricing.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:43 PM
Fadi1
Pro

Got SW bypass for the sound because I think the factory exhaust is too tamed. Love it. The exhaust tip don't make much sense to me but it's a matter of taste
Old 10-31-2014, 08:12 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

SW for me. Simple, lightweight, inexpensive, and just takes the "Holly S**t" factor from a 6 to a 9 when PSE is engaged and will not void warranty.

I heard in a couple months they may have 20mm tips ready for her - need to confirm

Quick Reply: So who's getting an aftermarket exhaust and why?