advice needed on track driving.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 07:09 PM
j09333
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

TomTom77
Wow! Powerful line up you got!!!
Interesting that you have speciale and gt3 at the same time!
Old 10-19-2014, 01:26 AM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
With Hans is a full face still recommended?
Yes. In a head on impact, everything stretches...belts, you and your organs, etc. HANS keeps your head from flying off your spine, but full face helmet protects in case of impact with steering wheel, etc.

There's just no reason NOT to wear a full face.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:43 AM
sk0t
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoopumpers
There's just no reason NOT to wear a full face.
Unless you have a good relationship with your dentist and wish to donate to his racing career I agree with everyone that has said it: get full face and a HANS device. The factory harness is actually only compliant with its certifications when used with a HANS device.

Like TomTom, I have recently been looking and decided to go with a Bell GT5 Touring helmet and a HANS Sport II. The GT5 comes with a sun peak, as well as a full visor, and has M6 anchor mounts pre-installed (but not the HANS posts themselves).

Since you have the Clubsport option you will definitely have the mounting points for the factory six-point Schroth harnesses, so if you didn't get the factory option for the passenger (or driver, if that could be deselected) you can get it from a seller on eBay; I ordered one and it's identical to the factory item and about half what it was going to cost to get it with the car or from spare parts in Australia. Don't get the one from Suncoast as it's a different part and uses the three-point mounts, which is unnecessary on RoW Clubsport optioned cars. A bonus with the six-point harness is that it prevents submarining under the lap belt. I took photos when I did the passenger-side install, so I'll write it up sometime.

I also bought an AiM Solo DL and SmartyCam HD because I wanted high quality video with data overlay, as well as the ability to look at the data later.

I have my first trackday in the GT3 on Thursday, so I'm looking forward to that just a little bit
Old 10-20-2014, 10:46 AM
Dan39
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoopumpers
Full face helmet. No reason not to
This guy is going to be driving at about 3/10ths in his first season and he could probably benefit from being able to talk to his instructor more easily with the open face helmet. In a closed face helmet you need to scream to be heard over the whine of the engine, especially with the Sharkwerks!

My two cents.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:02 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

Having crashed one car on track I can attest to a 7 point harness, full face helmet and head and neck restraint. With a 7 point you get what looks like 3 sub belts. The center goes straight down. The 2 sides go down and to the rear spread about 10" apart and anchored on each side just about under your hip joints. In a crash the load is spread across the insides of your thighs which is far better than wreaking havoc on Willie and the boys. Should you turn over the center/sub keeps you in your seat.

The harnesses, head and neck restraint and full face helmet combined to give me a nice view of my airbag exploding about 5" from my face. I then got out of the car and walked away. This was at a DE not a race. Got caught out by a Mezger mobile water spray unit in front of me.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:09 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Got caught out by a Mezger mobile water spray unit in front of me.
Ugh. Sorry to hear this. One of my nightmares.

Some good advice and some overkill on this thread. First time out? Borrow a helmet or get any helmet. Anything else is excessive. Don't show up as 'that guy'
Old 10-20-2014, 11:11 AM
j09333
Instructor

So far, I purchased
Stilo carbon helmet full face
Hans ultra lite
sabelt suit shoes goloves balaclava inner wear all of them most expensive ones in the shop

Now, I assume the car which will be here any day from now will not have seatbelts installed with roll cage. I am searching for one.

Alan C. Can you point me to right direction as to what and where I can buy them?
Old 10-20-2014, 11:13 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by j09333
So far, I purchased Stilo carbon helmet full face Hans ultra lite sabelt suit shoes goloves balaclava inner wear all of them most expensive ones in the shop Now, I assume the car which will be here any day from now will not have seatbelts installed with roll cage. I am searching for one. Alan C. Can you point me to right direction as to what and where I can buy them?
OMG....
Old 10-20-2014, 11:14 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan39
This guy is going to be driving at about 3/10ths in his first season and he could probably benefit from being able to talk to his instructor more easily with the open face helmet. In a closed face helmet you need to scream to be heard over the whine of the engine, especially with the Sharkwerks!

My two cents.
Actually most instructors are using a wired mike/earpiece setup these days.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:14 AM
j09333
Instructor

orthojoe. Lol I will be the exact that guy on the track that day.
I thought about half face helmet to get the feel and couching right and all and then I read books and serched and came to a conclusion of getting the best out there and be done.
It will be all about me and my car and having fun.
I am sure there will be some moment of 'hey look at that guy with all fancy gears and so SLOW lol'
But, it is all about me and my car and having fun so, I dont care....
Old 10-20-2014, 11:16 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by j09333
orthojoe. Lol I will be the exact that guy on the track that day. I thought about half face helmet to get the feel and couching right and all and then I read books and serched and came to a conclusion of getting the best out there and be done. It will be all about me and my car and having fun. I am sure there will be some moment of 'hey look at that guy with all fancy gears and so SLOW lol' But, it is all about me and my car and having fun so, I dont care....
Fair enough. Just remember you're there to learn and it's not a race and you'll be a-ok in my book.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:36 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

On the cage or roll bar front, you can do something like the GMG bolt in harness bar. This thread is worth reading: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...available.html

I will probably end up getting a bolt in for my GT3.

A full cage is a huge commitment, but safer if done well and often not legal to drive on the street. Here is a picture of one in a Cayman to give you a feel for the effort that goes into it.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:38 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

jo9333,

I purchase my safety gear from US Race Gear. http://www.usracegear.com

Craig is a great guy to deal with. If you are in the Cincinnati area you can stop in and try on just about everything he sells.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:44 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Just went back and read the thread a bit more carefully. I neglected to pick up that the OP is likely from Europe and has the OEM clubsport package (very jealous). Given that he has all of the goods already from the factory and that he will (and should) use the harnesses, a closed face helmet and HANS is certainly in order.

As far as the attire goes, well, that's personal preference. To be honest, I'm not sure if I even feel comfortable showing up in my driving shoes when I take my GT3 to the track given that it doesn't have a third pedal.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:01 PM
j09333
Instructor

I am looking currently in these.
http://english.schroth.com/racing/kategorien.php?kat=1
profi II 6y with hans.
Never had harnesses before so I am hesitant odering it without know it will fit my car.
Very basic novice qustion if I may ask.
Am I looking at right ones?

Thanks Alan C. I am in Asia so I can't go there but since I now know my sizes(this is why I should have to visit local shop knowing they are expensive in the first place...) , I can use this as price reference and more.

Quick Reply: advice needed on track driving.