Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Current owners - Squeaky Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 02:36 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

I had track pads on daily drivers (or rather daily-drove track cars) for the last 6 years, so have a lot of experience with getting rid of squeal. It's mostly about the pad fitting in the caliper. Material is secondary. If pad is loose or unstable a tiny bit, it will squeal. It can be a million of things that make some cars make noise and some be silent - dust/dirt between pad backing and caliper, broken clips, oxidation, not precisely correct pad shape (for aftermarket pads) etc. Usually, putting some ceramic or even metal-based goo between pad and any part of the caliper the pad touches should fix squeal in fixed most multi-piston calipers. Sliding calipers are tougher because the caliper itself can make noise.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:21 PM
zubairi911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I've had zero noise from the new PCCB's, hot or cold.
This calls for another visit to the dealer
Old 10-15-2014, 03:35 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by ToyGuyAZ
I have also had zero noise from the new PCCB's hot or cold. Been in several other new GT3's and no noise at all.
Temperature definitely affects these braking noises on a track brakes setup. I've been wrestling with this for a while on another car. You can bed the brakes and it helps for a while, but the noise slowly comes back.

A common attempted "fix" is a multi-layer shim behind the brake pad to try and provide a little isolation between the pistons and the pad back. This is OEM on STIs as well as an add-on fix for some squealing Audi brakes on their TT RS.

It's disappointing to hear the PCCB squeals though... I figured the PCCB was a way to get track-level brake performance without the noise!

Anybody know what level of pad compound Porsche uses on the OEM iron red brake setup? Is it truly a track-capable pad that doesn't need swapping for aftermarket for medium track use?
Old 10-15-2014, 05:31 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I found they squealled when they dusted up, say within 2-3 days of DD after a good wash. Then after 3000 miles of road driving (even some fast road) I took them to teh track and within a single session they were stinking. I thought Id bedded them in with some high speed runs on the AutoBahn and Autostrada but in reality I never braked hard there. In reality one lap of my local track coming down from 240kmph to 90kmph a few times at the end of the front straight did the job properly.

Now the brakes never squeal even when dusted up!
Old 10-15-2014, 05:53 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had squealing brakes on both my sports cars so far. One with steels and one ceramics. I just keep driving them hard, track or road, and the squeal does eventually go away. I don't bother getting such sounds checked at dealer. While the squeal is there, I actually like it, it adds a mean soundtrack to the already mean n/a engine sound. When the squeal is gone, I kind off miss it, but at least the n/a orchestra remains.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:56 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by aamersa
I've had squealing brakes on both my sports cars so far. One with steels and one ceramics. I just keep driving them hard, track or road, and the squeal does eventually go away. I don't bother getting such sounds checked at dealer. While the squeal is there, I actually like it, it adds a mean soundtrack to the already mean n/a engine sound. When the squeal is gone, I kind off miss it, but at least the n/a orchestra remains.
understood, but I think for those that spend $9k+ on pccb have an expectation of no squeal... surprised to hear that several in this thread with pccb have experienced that...
Old 10-15-2014, 07:04 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
understood, but I think for those that spend $9k+ on pccb have an expectation of no squeal... surprised to hear that several in this thread with pccb have experienced that...
Pccbs are standard on 458s, yet they do squeal on them. People pay a lot for them. It is just a part and parcel of high performance brakes. After a hard drive pccbs also produce dust. It is just a different kind of dust from what the steels produce. Easier to wash or blow way from the rims.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:22 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
I never had any squeaking with steel brakes on my C4S. I wonder why.
Much less aggressive pad material.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:47 AM
sk0t
Instructor

Whilst I dislike it on most other cars, I actually like the brake squeal on my GT3; in fact I like each of the many noises that it makes
Old 10-20-2014, 01:03 PM
HGM 10
Advanced

The noise is going to be normal if we can call it that way, because they are in fact performance brakes and they squeal a bit, i really dont mine that noise it just remembers me that im in a sports car. About dust it just collects a bit in the holes of the rotors, with a metallic pin you can reach one by one and clean every single hole so your rotors can breath better under any situation. I do this every month or depending on the driving mud of those days.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:04 PM
HGM 10
Advanced

Originally Posted by HGM 10
The noise is going to be normal if we can call it that way, because they are in fact performance brakes and they squeal a bit, i really dont mine that noise it just remembers me that im in a sports car. About dust it just collects a bit in the holes of the rotors, with a metallic pin you can reach one by one and clean every single hole so your rotors can breath better under any situation. I do this every month or depending on the driving mud of those days.
"i got Pccb's btw"
Old 10-20-2014, 01:05 PM
HGM 10
Advanced

Originally Posted by HGM 10
"i got Pccb's btw"
(mood)
Old 10-20-2014, 01:06 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 48 Posts

Yep PCCBs no squeak before tracking the car, now lots of squeak, not sure how they will last definitely going steel on RS
Old 10-20-2014, 01:07 PM
HGM 10
Advanced

[QUOTE="HGM 10;11737570"]
Old 10-20-2014, 01:17 PM
HGM 10
Advanced

Originally Posted by race7117
Yep PCCBs no squeak before tracking the car, now lots of squeak, not sure how they will last definitely going steel on RS
is going to depend on your needs as a driver... Andreas Preuninger said pccb's is the most important option to add to the GT3.

Quick Reply: Current owners - Squeaky Brakes?