Sponsored by:

My first commute in the GT3 - Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 04:06 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by mainly
but kickdown (full kickdown) only happens when you put you foot 100 % to the floor, and why the hell would i do that in mid corner?
That's the part I struggle with... why not make the effort for the kickdown obvious and let the driver decide. I can avoid 100% throttle in a corner and hammer it upon exit. Perhaps this will all be clearer once I actually get my machine on the track.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:00 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Given PDK is very good -- but still flawed -- in every other Porsche, I think PDK-S in the GT3 is the stand-on-your-seat ovation performance from Porsche, along with the fact it's handling 475hp+ at 9000 rpm upshifts, which it times to perfection, somehow nailing 9000 rpm for almost literally one power stroke before fully engaging the next higher gear ... it's maybe not the maestro performance of driver skills that is a perfectly balanced series of heel-toe downshifts while threshold braking with all four tires chirping and growling at the brink of lock-up and steering through the apex leaving nothing to spare, but there's more than one way a sports car can let the heel of your sole, heal your soul. : )
Best prose of the month ... missed it, glad you're back.

Originally Posted by sgroer
That's the part I struggle with... why not make the effort for the kickdown obvious and let the driver decide. I can avoid 100% throttle in a corner and hammer it upon exit. Perhaps this will all be clearer once I actually get my machine on the track.
When PDK gen 1 (997.2) came out there was loud condemnation of why would Porsche allow a kick-down in Sport-Plus, manual mode. What were they thinking, and then gen 2 (991) offered some enhancements like paddle neutral, but retained the kick-down as in gen 1, and the questioning of logic was again loud and plentiful. Now that PDK-S has solved that kick-down issue, appears it's not really what was wanted after all.

One of these days Porsche will figure out how to build a proper 911 ... and that car will be

Quick Reply: My first commute in the GT3 - Impressions