Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first commute in the GT3 - Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 07:25 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

I do not know how using the sponge end of the wind shield wiper cleaner to put spilt gas back in to the tank is a design flaw
Old 10-15-2014, 07:55 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Us GT3 owners are now kindling spirits to the 918 with regard to a fire incident or two and for completely different reasons. I wear a fire suit on the track...not worried.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:49 PM
Gravity
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by R.Deacon
A couple of weeks ago I was traveling south on 95 near Branford Conn. and spot in a blink a Agate

991-3 going north ,it may well have been the "Dude" , I remember it brought a huge smile and

thoughts of excitement . I have seen several 14's @ Champion awaiting motors swap and sat in one they had out in the showroom

Is this turning cult like ?
In order to really order a car like this
"We all DRANK the koolaid"
Old 10-15-2014, 11:07 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
Fly to germany for a test drive ? I suppose if you are going to drop close to $1 mill on a car, the effort would be worth it.
I got to drive the 918 in Atlanta and I wasn't the one looking to buy it...
Old 10-15-2014, 11:11 PM
mainly
Racer

Originally Posted by sgroer
I'd say in the low RPM's it feels the same,
for me it was the opposite. i only had a carrera s for a brief few hours, but it isnt comparable to the gt3 at all really. the gt3 feels like an animal from 1000 rpm all the way through 9000.

if your in 1st or second gear even at low rpm(2500-4000) and jab the gas your going to be snapped back in your seat just as violently as a car with 600 lbft of torque at the same rpm. (especially if your comparing a turbo car with lots of torque to the gt3)

its more about the gear your in/speed your going really. if your in 3rd of 4th gear or higher, theres basically no torque to be felt at all. unless your going like 120 mph, then you will be up at like 7-9000 rpm.

the good thing is if your in 1st or 2nd gear, the rpms dont need to be high to feel massive power and torque.

the one thing i was slightly disappointed with is that there is no real kickdown function while in pdk sport/ auto mode.

it will be in a lower gear but not low enough to kick you in the pants. in other words when you floor it on the highway it will not go low enough to allow maximum acceleration the way an e63 or m5 would if you suddenly floored it on the highway. you would need to downshift manually 1 gear or maybe 2 with the gt3. so its more like a manual that way. maybe thats the way they intended it. but i wish they had tuned the pdk sport a bit more aggressivly. ie kickdown to 2nd or even 1st gear when floored on the highway, if the revs are available, to allow maximum acceleration.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:55 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mainly
the one thing i was slightly disappointed with is that there is no real kickdown function while in pdk sport/ auto mode.

a bit more aggressivly. ie kickdown to 2nd or even 1st gear when floored on the highway, if the revs are available, to allow maximum acceleration.
If I understand correctly, 1st and 7th will be on the same clutch, and PDK might simply not have the facility to preselect 2nd while 7th is engaged, or perhaps to preselect 1st while 6th is engaged. Also, these are not performance conditions, the gearbox hardware cannot be designed to provide maximal performance under all conditions, so the compromises have to go to weight versus durability as the core metrics while designing a box that shifts in "negative time" (engaging the next clutch to add power in the form of engine rotating mass before losing any power through the currently engaged clutch) and provides an enjoyable experience to the driver (especially in terms of shift response time.)
Aside from some hiccups and burps in odd conditions where transitioning from zero throttle to idling forward, I really cannot fault PDK at all, I just haven't found even one instance when I thought "ah ha! PDK got it wrong."
Given PDK is very good -- but still flawed -- in every other Porsche, I think PDK-S in the GT3 is the stand-on-your-seat ovation performance from Porsche, along with the fact it's handling 475hp+ at 9000 rpm upshifts, which it times to perfection, somehow nailing 9000 rpm for almost literally one power stroke before fully engaging the next higher gear ... it's maybe not the maestro performance of driver skills that is a perfectly balanced series of heel-toe downshifts while threshold braking with all four tires chirping and growling at the brink of lock-up and steering through the apex leaving nothing to spare, but there's more than one way a sports car can let the heel of your sole, heal your soul. : )
Old 10-16-2014, 02:10 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

for me it was the opposite. i only had a carrera s for a brief few hours, but it isnt comparable to the gt3 at all really. the gt3 feels like an animal from 1000 rpm all the way through 9000.

if your in 1st or second gear even at low rpm(2500-4000) and jab the gas your going to be snapped back in your seat just as violently as a car with 600 lbft of torque at the same rpm. (especially if your comparing a turbo car with lots of torque to the gt3)

its more about the gear your in/speed your going really. if your in 3rd of 4th gear or higher, theres basically no torque to be felt at all. unless your going like 120 mph, then you will be up at like 7-9000 rpm.

the good thing is if your in 1st or 2nd gear, the rpms dont need to be high to feel massive power and torque.

it will be in a lower gear but not low enough to kick you in the pants. in other words when you floor it on the highway it will not go low enough to allow maximum acceleration the way an e63 or m5 would if you suddenly floored it on the highway. you would need to downshift manually 1 gear or maybe 2 with the gt3. so its more like a manual that way. maybe thats the way they intended it. but i wish they had tuned the pdk sport a bit more aggressivly. ie kickdown to 2nd or even 1st gear when floored on the highway, if the revs are available, to allow maximum acceleration.
When you say PDK Sport / Auto mode, are you referring to both auto modes of the transmission or specifically the PDK-Sport mode?

In regular auto mode, mine most certainly kicks down and shoots you forward like a cannon! Agree that in in PDK Sport or manual mode, there is no kickdown. For the life of me, I can't figure out how that is advantageous for the auto mode, manual mode makes sense..
Old 10-16-2014, 02:23 PM
_BrakeDust_
Instructor

^ It keeps you from getting a downshift mid corner on the track, which could upset the balance of the car.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:27 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by _BrakeDust_
^ It keeps you from getting a downshift mid corner on the track, which could upset the balance of the car.
Interesting. Makes sense. I struggle with using auto mode on the track anyways, using the paddles is way too much fun.

Thanks for the explanation.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:33 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I have no trouble downshifting in corners with the 991S. The transmission is so smooth, it does not upset the car.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:09 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
I have no trouble downshifting in corners with the 991S. The transmission is so smooth, it does not upset the car.
The GT3 has much more liberal electronics andthe PDK-S is not smooth an comfortable. I only got my 991S sideways on a track once with all of the electronics on.

I "accidentaly" got the GT3 a little tail happy today turning right onto an empty side road. It snapped back into place quickly and made me giggle. Doing that in the 991S was very difficult, not because it was unable but because the nannies were more restrictive and the tranny smoother.

Last edited by sgroer; 10-16-2014 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:43 PM
mainly
Racer

hmmm. but other cars have it. i mean in my m5/cls633, flooring it in a straight would downshift to the gear which would provides maximum acceleration. but i wouldnt be dumb enough to do this going around corner! it simply for giving you what youre asking for , which when you put your foot to the floor, means "go as fast as possible right now" lol.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:46 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,795 Likes on 4,779 Posts

hmmm. but other cars have it. i mean in my m5/cls633, flooring it in a straight would downshift to the gear which would provides maximum acceleration. but i wouldnt be dumb enough to do this going around corner! it simply for giving you what youre asking for , which when you put your foot to the floor, means "go as fast as possible right now" lol.
Interesting.

You are comparing an M5 (and perhaps a CLS 63 AMG?) to the GT3?

I would say you have an apple in one hand, and a couple of durians in another.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:00 PM
mainly
Racer

Originally Posted by sgroer
When you say PDK Sport / Auto mode, are you referring to both auto modes of the transmission or specifically the PDK-Sport mode?

In regular auto mode, mine most certainly kicks down and shoots you forward like a cannon! Agree that in in PDK Sport or manual mode, there is no kickdown. For the life of me, I can't figure out how that is advantageous for the auto mode, manual mode makes sense..

i mean - pdk sport button pushed, and auto shifting mode (D)

wel the thing is it still could shift down by 1 more gear or 2 LOWER than it would be in, in pdk sport/drive mode. so why not make it so you accelerate the fastest possible?

i mean isnt that the pont of auto (D)mode?
Old 10-16-2014, 04:03 PM
mainly
Racer

but kickdown (full kickdown) only happens when you put your foot 100 % to the floor, and why the hell would i do that in mid corner? (well in the gt3 i guess you can)

Last edited by mainly; 10-16-2014 at 04:22 PM.

Quick Reply: My first commute in the GT3 - Impressions