Sponsored by:

GT3 Manual.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:24 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Just played around with the configurator and noticed something interesting:

You do NOT need to have PCM optioned on the car in order to get the track precision app. Perhaps there actually IS a separate GPS antenna running at a higher (and acceptable) refresh rate....?
Or (more likely) is that the option just gives you the wifi access point for streaming "car data", and the phone's GPS is always used for position / velocity.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:45 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Joe. I wouldnt be too upset at this stage. there may be further benefits for it that we have not identified....
Thanks. I guess we'll find out soon enough. I need to be more of an optimist like you.

Originally Posted by Mech33
Or (more likely) is that the option just gives you the wifi access point for streaming "car data", and the phone's GPS is always used for position / velocity.
Ah but you should download the app and play around with it. Look again at the screen shot below. You can choose between the CAR's GPS and the phone's GPS.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:29 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Thanks. I guess we'll find out soon enough. I need to be more of an optimist like you.

Ah but you should download the app and play around with it. Look again at the screen shot below. You can choose between the CAR's GPS and the phone's GPS.
I've played with the app, but apparently not enough! The story still isn't clean though. If someone has no PCM, but has Sport Chrono option, then:

1) If "car GPS" just uses the normal PCM GPS, then the "use phone GPS" option is present for this case, or

2) If a better 10 Hz GPS is included with the wifi access point hardware, then "car GPS" would work here as well so no need for "use phone GPS"

The fact that "use phone GPS" option exists suggests that a better unique set of GPS hardware is *not* included with the Sport Chrono wifi hardware set.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:43 PM
rookie1
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts

In the documentation of the app it also notes that you can use external Bluetooth GPS devices (similar to what you would use with Harry's Laptimer). So you definitely would have a path to better GPS accuracy in case the car or phone GPS frequency isn't good enough.

From the Porsche Track Precision App FAQ:

Old 10-31-2014, 07:45 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mech33
I've played with the app, but apparently not enough! The story still isn't clean though. If someone has no PCM, but has Sport Chrono option, then:

1) If "car GPS" just uses the normal PCM GPS, then the "use phone GPS" option is present for this case, or

2) If a better 10 Hz GPS is included with the wifi access point hardware, then "car GPS" would work here as well so no need for "use phone GPS"

The fact that "use phone GPS" option exists suggests that a better unique set of GPS hardware is *not* included with the Sport Chrono wifi hardware set.

This is a possibility. It's not clear in the configurator.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:47 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by rookie1
In the documentation of the app it also notes that you can use external Bluetooth GPS devices (similar to what you would use with Harry's Laptimer). So you definitely would have a path to better GPS accuracy in case the car or phone GPS frequency isn't good enough.

Ugh. Nice pick up. Forget it. I'm just gonna use my Solo DL. I not gonna buy ANOTHER GPS receiver just to get the stupid app to work accurately.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:51 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by rookie1

Interesting. The VBOX Sport is a 20 Hz receiver!
Old 10-31-2014, 07:53 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

In my C4S I use the digital stopwatch to store data logs on the PCM.

My understanding from the configurator was that you only got the digital stopwatch with the SC package, so I was going under the assumption that without SC, you can not store data logs on the PCM.

Can anyone without the SC package confirm that you're able to log rides? Or do people without SC just use HLT?

I'll admit I am pretty new to the whole thing, right now I just use the data files to set up overlays on my go pro videos.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:56 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Another interesting tidbit referencing a "10 Hz log rate" (but that could just be the data rate from the rest of the vehicle sensors, while the GPS sits at 1 Hz...):

Old 10-31-2014, 07:59 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Oh wow, this part about forcing your position to follow the PCM's internal map line for the track when using the car's GPS is disappointing if I'm interpreting it correctly:

Old 11-03-2014, 09:55 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Any more thoughts on this? My order is about to lock and need to make a call on Sport Chrono.

On one hand, it seems like wifi data link to the smartphone is a nice touch, but locking you into the Porsche app environment and limited GPS accuracy is a bit of a bummer. At $1800 it's an expensive toy. But isn't that the GT3 in the first place?
Old 11-04-2014, 03:50 AM
UAEGT3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Ryan.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:05 AM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by reidry
Do you know how hard it is to re-find a thread by searching for "manual" on a car forum?

Dan (Tags owners manual electronic PDF munchkin mamba moocher moose Molotov)
Old 11-09-2014, 01:34 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hfm
Do you know how hard it is to re-find a thread by searching for "manual" on a car forum?

Dan (Tags owners manual electronic PDF munchkin mamba moocher moose Molotov)
Lol

Ryan
Old 11-10-2014, 10:57 AM
BigT
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks very much Ryan, now have 45 days to study before real manual and car arrive!

Question for all on related documentation-Does anyone have a source for GT3 Torque specs for all the various fasteners we do it your selfers will be touching-especially brake, strut, wheel hub, and suspension fasteners? Thx

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT3 Manual.