Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ceramics?

Old 10-17-2014, 06:49 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by devenh
I'm nearing the lock in date for my GT3 and this PCCB debate is driving me crazy

So the consensus seems to be for heavy track use, then steel.

For street use, PCCB is fine.

I've also read in this thread and elsewhere here on rennlist that the verdict is still out on the newest PCCB's. Anyone care to comment further on this?

My situation is in between: 4-5 track days a years, but driving at 75% (I have a Mini Cooper that I can take to the limit on the track), along with a couple of open road races (but these don't stress the brakes at all). Lots of highway driving to get to these events.

So, do PCCB's make sense for me?

Thanks,

Deven
I went back and forth too in the beginning. But after a lot of reading, discussions, and soul searching, I came to the conclusion that I would always regret not getting them. I don't track my p-cars. They are toys for weekend driving in the hills outside of Austin. There are a lot of justifications on this board about why not to get them, but if someone is never going to take their car on the track, I think the only honest answer is price. They are expensive, but I didn't want to let that deter me. While the exact numbers are debatable, I think it's anywhere from 7 to 10 pounds per corner of unsprung rotating mass. Will you feel that on the street? Porsche says so. Drivers that have experienced both say so. You have to decide if you believe them. Bottom line, I say go for them. Absolute worst case, you have lost 9k. I feel that is not as bad as spending 150k and wishing you had got them. Most here disagree, but this is my perspective.

The emotional parts ---- same brakes as 918, look gorgeous with the wheels, no brake dust, won't see them everywhere, gt3 deserves lightest components, etc
Old 10-17-2014, 07:00 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm a green track driver and plan on doing maybe 3 events next season which will equate to maybe 5 days. I went with PCCB based on that.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:16 PM
devenh
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I wasn't going to occasionally track the car, I would definitely go with PCCB's.

When I do track the car, I plan to stay comfortably within it's limits, so I'm thinking PCCB's will be okay.

Finally, there is the Racing Brake option of installing steel rotors in a PCCB car if I ever start tracking the car much harder.

Deven
Old 10-17-2014, 07:43 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know there is a debate about how much weight savings there actually is because of the larger rotors on the PCCBs, And I wish Porsche would clear that up. But assuming the 7-10 per corner is correct I believe (despite what anyone may say) that you may very well be able to tell the difference---on the road. I had a c5 corvette on which I temporarily put aftermarket wheels (also unsprung weight) weighing app. 8 more lbs. per corner----and there was a clear decline in the nimbleness of handling. Obviously the GT3 is a much different car, but just sayin.......
Old 10-17-2014, 08:49 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Stock PCCB:
Front: 14.8 lbs (410x36)
Rear: 13.3 lbs (390x32)

RB Iron Rotor Replacement (Proposed)
Front: 27.9 lbs (410x34)
Rear: 21.8 lbs (390x30)

Note both front and rear thickness are reduced by 2mm.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:33 AM
ToyGuyAZ
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RacingBrake
Stock PCCB:
Front: 14.8 lbs (410x36)
Rear: 13.3 lbs (390x32)

RB Iron Rotor Replacement (Proposed)
Front: 27.9 lbs (410x34)
Rear: 21.8 lbs (390x30)

Note both front and rear thickness are reduced by 2mm.
43lbs less rotating mass with PCCB's is an enormous difference.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:06 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ToyGuyAZ
yes. worth noting, that is considerably more than the naysayers have indicated previously... I locked PCCB thinking the difference was more like half that number, which for me, on a GT3, is still worth it...
Old 10-18-2014, 11:19 AM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ToyGuyAZ
Those quoted numbers are comparing steel from the same size, stock steel is a little smaller.

Still, the front PCCB is 14.8 and stock size is 390? So assuming similar thickness its around 21.8lbs on steel fronts, or about 7lbs off each wheel on the front. If you guess about the same on the rear you're talking closer to 30lbs difference.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:05 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bigkraig
Those quoted numbers are comparing steel from the same size, stock steel is a little smaller.

Still, the front PCCB is 14.8 and stock size is 390? So assuming similar thickness its around 21.8lbs on steel fronts, or about 7lbs off each wheel on the front. If you guess about the same on the rear you're talking closer to 30lbs difference.
which will make a tremendous difference in street racing performance.

I get the lighter weight issue of pccb vs steel. Will it make you any faster on the street or track (remember this is not a race car)...I argue no.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:06 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Here we go
Old 10-18-2014, 12:20 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

it's not all about lap times... of course, we have had this conversation before...

would you really argue that 30-40lbs of unsprung rotating mass is not something you will feel on the street in terms of ride comfort over uneven roads, handling in the twisties, etc.? we can argue about whether that is the weight savings or not... if it was 10-15lbs maybe you wouldn't even notice. but 30-40lbs? I have never tested that kind of brake weight difference back to back, and I doubt many have, so we are ALL speculating a bit... but I have driven my previous cars back to back with significantly lighter wheels after fitting them, with far less weight difference than 40lbs and the car felt more lively in terms of handling.... placebo, I know
Old 10-18-2014, 12:32 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
it's not all about lap times... of course, we have had this conversation before...

would you really argue that 30-40lbs of unsprung rotating mass is not something you will feel on the street in terms of ride comfort over uneven roads, handling in the twisties, etc.? we can argue about whether that is the weight savings or not... if it was 10-15lbs maybe you wouldn't even notice. but 30-40lbs? I have never tested that kind of brake weight difference back to back, and I doubt many have, so we are ALL speculating a bit... but I have driven my previous cars back to back with significantly lighter wheels after fitting them, with far less weight difference than 40lbs and the car felt more lively in terms of handling.... placebo, I know
I'm inclined to believe 99% of that feeling is placebo, as you suggested.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:37 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I should be more clear.
PCCB...
No corrosive Brake Dust - Good
Better Braking performance under extreme sustained braking - Good
Lighter un-sprung weight - Good

Other than the brake dust issue, I don't see a real advantage given their cost for a street car that can be used very effectively on a track. The extreme sustained braking and un-sprung weight issue would apply more readily to a dedicated race car...Not your average DE track driver and especially not for the street poser. Alas they are an option and a great money maker for Porsche. Personally I think they are cool...$10k additional cool ? Not for me. YMMV.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:54 PM
LAGinz
Pro

I don't think it's placebo at all. When I changed to the aftermarket wheels I'm not sure I even knew the heavier specs before hand. The car felt different and I went back and looked at the weight spec. Ditched em, back to stock, back to
Old 10-18-2014, 12:58 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,726 Likes on 4,759 Posts

I just like yellow breaks.

Tired of looking at red calipers all the time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ceramics?