Sponsored by:

Ceramics?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 08:07 PM
mundman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by seapar
Steel for peace of mind. I would like to stock up on ceramic rotors for 1K each if that dealer is selling them. I have ceramics on my 2007 GT3.
Dealer make a mistake by about $5400 each rotor! $6480 for each front rotor!
Old 10-11-2014, 08:15 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by mundman
Dealer make a mistake by about $5400 each rotor! $6480 for each front rotor!
Amazing how much one can sober up over night. Lol.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:03 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Amazing how much one can sober up over night. Lol.
a few Excedrin and a large glass of water can do wonders !
Old 10-11-2014, 09:11 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
How much do you think it will cost to put aftermarket ceramics on your car like movitbrakes? Do they have a size that will fit w/o having to do a major overhaul?
It's a bolt-on kit. Maybe four hours, fully reversible to factory stock.
I don't know prices, but budget on $5K-10K for two piece iron with calipers.
Maybe $10-15K for the Racing Brake kit with ceramic rotors and calipers in a size that will fit inside a 19 inch wheel.
Maybe $25K for Movit rotors, plus about $5K for their caliper kit.
I plan on shelving the factory caliper and PCCB for resale, then installing one of these three caliper kits. For now, I just have Movit rotors left over from my previous 997.2 RS, which I'll either sell or trade-in since they retain a (very) high resale value because they simply do not wear. I just touched a set of Movits on an RS 4.0 that has seen numerous serious track days at lap record pace (a caged car with a Cup car driver) and the rotors are as-new, smooth to the touch.
The only work to do with the brakes is to have a professional shop install metal thread inserts or caliper studs, but that's a relatively trivial exercise, I've seen done in the paddock (!) with no drama, though it does require experienced hands.
The advantage of PFC is price and pad selection.
The advantage of Movit is it works, but it's expensive and noisy on the street unless you bed in the pads carefully after track days, and the only pad compound is the factory stock Pagid pads and they don't have the best pedal feel for someone with excellent threshold braking skills, but endurance and peak performance is staggering.
The Racing Brake stuff is new to me, so I can't say, but from my observation and experience, I'd say it's important to examine what they're doing because I think they're offering a more realistic and competitive price point with perhaps better sizes for the 991 application -- the objective being to get 19's and R6's on the 991 GT3.
ref:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...l#post11695061
Old 10-11-2014, 09:12 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Going back to the dealer today and will ask again their prices on rotors
I doubt parts will be open on a Saturday, but you'll find it's about $18K for a set of fronts and rears with a pretty much universal discount for existing PCCB customers that brings the purchase price to more like $12K. The randomizing factor being that these are almost commodity pricing and can move up and down from time to time.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:21 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

IMO I would skip Movit, Racing Brake etc - unless you're running extreme session length you just won't recover the investment. If you're looking at extremely heavy tracking + maybe club racing you will only get 2 seasons max out of a set of Calipers before they've warped and done. Anyone else telling you different is probably trying to sell you their product...

Order standard brakes and switch the stock rotors at first replace with Brembo or Girodisc (when Girodisc puts it out). Right now the stock rotors are expensive vs what you can get from Brembo for a much more track focused set/performance.

My tech buys the Porsche rotors without the P stamp for about $150/pair in 350mm - you will always be at a major disadvantage on consumables in a 991 GT3 for heavy tracking no matter which way you go.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:35 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

I checked with the local dealer and ceramic rotors were roughly 1K USD each
depends on where you get them...

only $900 for my 15.5" CC's fronts , $990 for 15" rears
Amazon.com: ACDelco 177-1121 GM Original Equipment Rear Disc Brake Rotor: Automotive"]Amazon.com: ACDelco 177-1120 GM Original Equipment Front Disc Brake Rotor: Automotive Amazon.com: ACDelco 177-1121 GM Original Equipment Rear Disc Brake Rotor: Automotive"]Amazon.com: ACDelco 177-1120 GM Original Equipment Front Disc Brake Rotor: Automotive

P.S.

when I add the front disc to my car it is $900, but when I attach it here it is $1300

Old 10-11-2014, 11:04 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
How much do you think it will cost to put aftermarket ceramics on your car like movitbrakes? Do they have a size that will fit w/o having to do a major overhaul?
Aftermarket CCM replacement rotors are offered for pccb (yellow calipers with 410/390mm rotors) leadtime 6-8 weeks after pre-order.

http://www.racingbrake.com/RB-CCM-Re...por-crk-01.htm

The standard brake GT3 (red calipers) rotors are 380x34/380x30mm, which we are working with Surface Transforms to make the rear discs (380x30) available, the CCM rotor upgrade package option will be offered.

Both RB aftermarket CCM rotor replacement packages will be built for direct direct bolt-on - 100% compatible with stock calipers w/o requiring any modification.

Surface Transforms CCM-X rotors are made with continuous carbon fibers vs. stock's chopped fibers, and therefore provide better strength and thermal conductivity than OE.

Here is my presentation in GT-R forum about the difference of two different type of CCM.

http://www.gtrheritage.com/topic/169...e-4#entry46609

Warren-RB
Old 10-12-2014, 02:58 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

I think it's completely separate discussions -- bolt-on OEM kit in the Porsche prime premium distortion bubble, separate from "reality check" component pricing through direct-to-retail channels -- is interesting, and insulting, but not relevant. If someone is willing to go about fitting third party calipers, fabricating spacers and machining hats, they have both the work and the rewards, so long as they get it right.
Where do you draw the line?
Old 10-12-2014, 05:27 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

I've wrestled with this decision on a car that will get locked in about two weeks. I started with PCCB, but historically I've hit the track about 6 days per year in a non-Porsche, so if that increases after the move to the GT3 it sounds like I'll be in real pain when it comes to replace the rotors. I don't want a concern about brake longevity to influence my decisions on how often I go to the track.

So I've begrudgingly changed the car to the standard metal brakes for now. On the up side, it saved $10k that could go towards some track wheels / tires, etc...
Old 10-16-2014, 02:56 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
I've wrestled with this decision on a car that will get locked in about two weeks. I started with PCCB, but historically I've hit the track about 6 days per year in a non-Porsche, so if that increases after the move to the GT3 it sounds like I'll be in real pain when it comes to replace the rotors. I don't want a concern about brake longevity to influence my decisions on how often I go to the track.

So I've begrudgingly changed the car to the standard metal brakes for now. On the up side, it saved $10k that could go towards some track wheels / tires, etc...
You are not alone from a new GT3 prospective buyer' standpoint when it comes to the brake options, and I think you did the right choice like others meaning go with standard iron brakes and save the money for other wished options (like leather interior), and look for brake alternative option later in the aftermarket.

Full Leather or PCCB?

For instance, if you like to have CCM rotors on your street driving for the known advantages such as better handling and no dust etc. then you can consider our CCM rotors replacement, while using your stock rotors for tracking.

We also offer track duty stock iron rotor upgrade, and the ring replacement cost is cheaper than OE's complete rotor (OE ring is not replaceable), and only fraction of CCM rotors.

Our rotors (both CCM and iron) are designed and built to use stock calipers for a direct and no modification installation and run standard stock pads to keep your maintenance and running costs down.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:10 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by RacingBrake
You are not alone from a new GT3 prospective buyer' standpoint when it comes to the brake options, and I think you did the right choice like others meaning go with standard iron brakes and save the money for other wished options (like leather interior), and look for brake alternative option later in the aftermarket.

Full Leather or PCCB?

For instance, if you like to have CCM rotors on your street driving for the known advantages such as better handling and no dust etc. then you can consider our CCM rotors replacement, while using your stock rotors for tracking.

We also offer track duty stock iron rotor upgrade, and the ring replacement cost is cheaper than OE's complete rotor (OE ring is not replaceable), and only fraction of CCM rotors.

Our rotors (both CCM and iron) are designed and built to use stock calipers for a direct and no modification installation and run standard stock pads to keep your maintenance and running costs down.
Hi RacingBrake, thanks for the comment. To be totally honest with you, however, I've used your rotor product on my Audi TT RS on track due to the perception of improved rotor cooling channels, and no matter how hard I tried (including multiple pad compounds, careful bedding procedures, and multiple metal scrub pad cleanings between attempts), I could not get them to work on track without developing horrible pad deposits and corresponding awful vibration on-track.

It could be bad luck of the draw, but needless to say I wasn't super impressed and RacingBrake support just told me to try cleaning them with the metal scrub pad and carefully bedding again, and that if they were bedded correctly they would work fine.

I ended up just getting rid of them and going back to OEM rotors after just ~2 or 3 track days. I ran into another customer that had a similar issue with a similar resolution.

So I'm definitely hesitant to go down a path on the GT3 that relies on your RacingBrake product for track since I don't have confidence in it. The GT3 products may be great, but I'd like to see them / feel them first hand before making judgement.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:31 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I have this idea after owning 2 GT3s with PCCBs and 2 911s with Steel. I can boil it down to this
If you Covet then PCCB's
If you Worry then Steel.

The PCCBs would help you on Resale. So if you do get them change em to steel and then keep the stock setup for resale. I dont THINK a GT3 sale should pivot on PCCBs but I have seen people who say "I would buy it if it had PCCBs"
At my level of tracking the steels are So much far and away above my driving skills that I cant even get into the discussion of "unsprung weight" and "brake Fade" so PCCBs or me fall into the covet category.
I have seen people destroy PCCB rotors by catching a rock. So Since I dont race 24 hours and most of my sessions are 20 minutes or so, I dont get into brake fade with the steels
Old 10-16-2014, 06:09 PM
Jangobipbip
Instructor

Received 153 Likes on 34 Posts

I do not know preferences and Us market so i can't speak and debate about it.
Here in Europe, PCCB is so expensive and steel so efficient for the price than drivers who track their car prefer steel, which offers incredible performances. Just my 2 cents...
Old 10-17-2014, 06:38 PM
devenh
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm nearing the lock in date for my GT3 and this PCCB debate is driving me crazy

So the consensus seems to be for heavy track use, then steel.

For street use, PCCB is fine.

I've also read in this thread and elsewhere here on rennlist that the verdict is still out on the newest PCCB's. Anyone care to comment further on this?

My situation is in between: 4-5 track days a years, but driving at 75% (I have a Mini Cooper that I can take to the limit on the track), along with a couple of open road races (but these don't stress the brakes at all). Lots of highway driving to get to these events.

So, do PCCB's make sense for me?

Thanks,

Deven

Quick Reply: Ceramics?