Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waitlisted, got told production stops, found last minute allocation ... all in 1 day

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 12:24 AM
rookie1
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts

For me its a daily driver (well really... weekly driver because I don't need a car every day) and a track car. The buckets are a bit too uncomfortable for my taste in a DD although I agree they are great on track.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:41 AM
rookie1
Instructor

I guess this will also be one of the last shipments of MY2015 GT3s to the US?

Old 10-02-2014, 01:05 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Buckets are no brainer... Comfortable, unique, right with this car. I remain adamant that PCCB and sport buckets are must haves for an aggressive street gt3 build :-)
Old 10-02-2014, 01:23 AM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Not me, this baby is going to see a lot of track work. That's what the GT3 excels at...
Old 10-02-2014, 01:32 AM
rwcsn1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=rookie1;11690988](most likely also the longest subject lines in this forum)

Long time reader wanted to say hi!
I had a deposit down at my dealer for a MY2015 GT3 for a while now but was only waitlisted. Today my dealer called me and said that their Porsche NA representative told them that the GT3 production will stop in December so no allocation will be made available past December.
I was really disappointed and talked to a coworker who has good connections to another Porsche dealer in the region. He told me he will ping his sales-guy to see if there is any vacant allocation. Long story short after a very turbulent afternoon I have a December production slot secured and can't wait for February when it will be delivered

Are you in the SF Bay Area? So am I, and I am surprised you had such difficulty. just in past 1-2 wks i have been contacted by Sonnen, Carlsen, Steade (which had two allocations), and Monterey. and i have only been on wait list for 2 mos. seems to me your friend with "connections" probably didnt have to work too hard. I think dealers are giving the impression of high demand. I was told I was #14 on a wait list, that I would never get one, and then magically told I was now #1 after 2 months.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:08 AM
rookie1
Instructor

Yepp, I'm in the bay area.
Carlsen told me for weeks that they'd have allocation for me but never came through and when I finally looked around otherwise this week the one other in Monterey I knew about was gone.
I also contacted Steade a few weeks ago and they told me they don't have any.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:16 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Amazing how many people aren't ordering bucket seats.
This is interesting. Buckets connect to the car and road....with correct driving posture. Sofa's do not.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:56 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Strimdog
Congrats!! I know how this roller coaster feels!! GET THE BUCKETS! There will only be a few hundred of these in the US with them.
How do you figure that many cars? How many cars produced between nov-Dec, the only months you can order buckets? Then look at how many people are ordering them... Seems like a minority still. My guesstimate is that If there are 50 cars with buckets I'll be surprised.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:02 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by rookie1
Yepp, I'm in the bay area. Carlsen told me for weeks that they'd have allocation for me but never came through and when I finally looked around otherwise this week the one other in Monterey I knew about was gone. I also contacted Steade a few weeks ago and they told me they don't have any.
Aren't there stories of dealers with quite a few allocations? This is confounding.. We have people who can't get cars and others being offered allocations... People looking to sell their gt3 to buy a different spec, and dealers with used cars for sale, yet some can't find a car. Is this a regional issue?
Old 10-02-2014, 01:13 PM
Strimdog
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
How do you figure that many cars? How many cars produced between nov-Dec, the only months you can order buckets? Then look at how many people are ordering them... Seems like a minority still. My guesstimate is that If there are 50 cars with buckets I'll be surprised.
Well you may be right Alex, Damn, and I'LL HAVE ONE!!
Old 10-02-2014, 02:37 PM
rwcsn1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rookie1
Yepp, I'm in the bay area.
Carlsen told me for weeks that they'd have allocation for me but never came through and when I finally looked around otherwise this week the one other in Monterey I knew about was gone.
I also contacted Steade a few weeks ago and they told me they don't have any.
Wow, that is really weird. I didn't even do much at Carlsen, I just emailed them 2-3 months ago, and they emailed me 1-2 wks ago with the allocation. And 2-3 weeks ago Steade had 2 allocations. Go figure. at least you got one, that's all that matters.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:17 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
This is old info. 80% of 997 GT3 owners track their cars. 95% of 991 GT3 owners do cars and coffee. 5% track but only parade laps. That is why I loaded mine up with leather.
This to me is very interesting! First of all I don't know the numbers of how many hit the track. But after driving the 1gt3 I got the feeling that the car was more targeted towards DD than previous gt3s, if we go back 15 years to the Mk1 I would guess that almost 100% of those where tracked! Maybe a few mk2 are garage queens but most are taken to the track. With the the 7gt3 they took a big step towards DD and probably around 50% hit the track at some point. Is the rs taking over the old gt3 role?
Old 10-02-2014, 04:24 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Amazing how many people aren't ordering bucket seats. Given the small number being ordered with them, I still find it amazing (and thankful) that Porsche offers these seats for people that want them.
There aren't many 997.2 GT3s (or many 987/997s of any type, for that matter) with the old sport bucket option, either.

I'm not surprised. The new seat option is less useful without the tilting backrest. And while there is some height adjustment with the new seat, it will still only be comfortable (including ingress/egress) for a small portion of buyers. Plus there are none to try on for size. Sure, you could switch them or sell them later, but that is a hassle few will want to deal with upon delivery of their $150k car.

Plus, IMO, the new seats are kind of ugly. Loved the old sport buckets, though...
Old 10-02-2014, 04:30 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Heathen!!!! What Blassphemous pronounciation which spouts from thine mouth! Who dares question the sanctity of the BUCKET GOD!!!?? (Now you're getting me worried that I shouldn't spec the seats)
Old 10-02-2014, 06:26 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

The bucket seats will not be for everyone. I hope those without bucket experience understand this. Don't order just because we say so.

Quick Reply: Waitlisted, got told production stops, found last minute allocation ... all in 1 day