Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leasing the GT3

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 11:04 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ugh... just because you finance for 72 months, doenst mean you have to keep for 72 months

I think my credit union is about at 1.9 on 72 months. That's nuts free money and I plan to do that. Even though I only plan to keep the car until the RS is available...
Old 09-30-2014, 11:36 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The key to buying an expensive car like a GT3 is being able to pay cash for it. Once that is established then lease, finance or pay cash depending on what is best financially for you.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:44 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Zucc
The key to buying an expensive car like a GT3 is being able to pay cash for it. Once that is established then lease, finance or pay cash depending on what is best financially for you.
yes, this is an absolute given... but I can make 5% on my money market/savings account all day long... certainly rates will eventually go back up, but right now, money is essentially free...
Old 10-01-2014, 12:28 AM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

@ Mr Sullivan

"I can make 5% on my money market/savings account all day long"

Where is that possible?
Old 10-01-2014, 12:52 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Uhm?... I have made 5% in a day at times, I'm up around 90% over past two years. If you haven't been killing it over past 6 years you've been asleep. I'm a relatively inept trader and I could have made more if I paid attention. 5% annual?.. You're trying to lose and you can't do that badly. Edit: I apologize.. I just read "money market and savings".. I assumed everyone has been in equities.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:02 AM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Well, he is saying he is making 5% on cash equivalents in insured and liquid accounts. Rates above 1% on these instruments is almost unheard of, so I want to know about 5% on safe money reserves.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:32 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 152 Posts

Me too. To make 90 percent you would have to be totally out of the market when it crashed and been very lucky on the upside. Almost no one did that.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:59 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Market crashed in 2008.. It's been 6 years. I don't want to make this an investment pissing contest, but happy to post my Etrade portfolio chart. It's nothing impressive actually.. All anyone had to do was follow tsla or any other of the many many rising star stocks in past few years and they would have done much better. Rich have gotten massively richer over past 6 years... I'm just a working schmuck riding some coat tails.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:44 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It never fails to end in a pissing contest. No matter what car it seems like a pecking order needs to be established.

Anyway, I can't speak regarding leasing cars privately, but the managing partners have a budget on leasing company cars. It is held in the company's name, payed by the company and goes straight into 'the operating cost' column. What I did before was run the leased car through the company and then do the buyout privately. I'm far from being a financial expert (I'm a coder), but having the company absorb the largest depreciation hit, and buy a used car basically from myself who drove it off the lot with 2 miles on the clock makes a lot of sense to me.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:59 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 152 Posts

Yep it makes sense for you.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:34 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Hate to rain on the parade, but these large deductions off the corporate return are supposed to be for the legitimate business use of the vehicle. The percentage of business use of the GT3 is simply multiplied by the lease payment and the resulting 85% for example is a business write off. You thereby escape the major depreciation limits on purchased luxury vehicles.

However, the question remains how much of your use of a GT3 is for business purposes? I am guessing it is very small if it exists at all. And remember, commuting mileage does not count. That said, the percentage business use claimed is said to very rarely be audited. hmm
Old 10-01-2014, 12:48 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
Hate to rain on the parade, but these large deductions off the corporate return are supposed to be for the legitimate business use of the vehicle. The percentage of business use of the GT3 is simply multiplied by the lease payment and the resulting 85% for example is a business write off. You thereby escape the major depreciation limits on purchased luxury vehicles.

However, the question remains how much of your use of a GT3 is for business purposes? I am guessing it is very small if it exists at all. And remember, commuting mileage does not count. That said, the percentage business use claimed is said to very rarely be audited. hmm
Spoken like my accountant....says I'd be on my own in an audit.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:19 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

^ this. Lease or own.

Dan (optimistically hopes to write off approximately 60-70% per year)
Old 10-01-2014, 01:25 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

HFM, I love the inner thoughts at each one of your posts.....cracks me up!
Old 10-02-2014, 11:57 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have 3 cars, the 911 is a company car. It is a medium sized company and not a one-man LLC... so I"m not too worried about it. An audit would be dealt with by accounting and not me. I've been though audits, and they are annoying as hell, but nobody comes to my house to look at my cars. Most audits require further documentation. Early on when we started out I had a home office in my apartment in Manhattan... it triggered an audit (one of the biggest triggers), and I actually and to provide a floor plan of my place in order to justify it. So yes, annoying as hell, but in the end they don't dispatch an agent to shadow me and see if I track or not. I do a 80/20 split.

Quick Reply: Leasing the GT3