Got my Euro Delivery Package!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 07:00 PM
Fowwiee
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nlpamg
Nice, have a great trip!

I love Euro Delivery and I've done it a couple times with Mercedes. The last time I did it was this past April - May for my DD, a CLA45 AMG. I went from Stuttgart->Spa->Nurburgring->Cologne->Frankfurt->Prague->Berlin (I actually flew in from Italy as I celebrated Easter in Rome and then picked up the car in Stuttgart).

Here's my route GPS logged by my Canon 6D.

I would love to do it with the GT3, but my dealer is being a bit greedy. They said that I can do it, but I will have to reimburse them for their costs to do it (approx. $3,500) because I'm "getting a deal" at MSRP. So, I'm not going to do it for this car. I'm not too upset since this was a last minute purchase and I already have two very short "vacations" scheduled in Dec. and Jan. and I think I'd be scared of driving this car around Europe and worrying about parking, etc. (all of my cars that I did European Delivery for had park sensors, backup cameras and it made parking in the tiny parking structures easy, with this car, I'd be a bit worried about dinging it and or messing it up).
This is very helpful! I am still planning my trip. I was very close to getting a CLA45, but got a GTR in the end. Its a great looking car!

Mine was at MSRP and the dealer was very happy doing ED. So I guess it depends on dealers. Btw, my dealer said he has an extra allocation for GT3, and he would be happy to do ED for this allocation as well (my dealer only sells at MSRP). So if you want ED, I can give you my dealer information.

F
Old 10-01-2014, 07:39 PM
nlpamg
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fowwiee
This is very helpful! I am still planning my trip. I was very close to getting a CLA45, but got a GTR in the end. Its a great looking car!

Mine was at MSRP and the dealer was very happy doing ED. So I guess it depends on dealers. Btw, my dealer said he has an extra allocation for GT3, and he would be happy to do ED for this allocation as well (my dealer only sells at MSRP). So if you want ED, I can give you my dealer information.

F
Thanks for the offer! I sent you a PM. I wouldn't mind doing a very short ED for this car

That's funny, I'm replacing my GT-R with the GT3, lol.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:24 PM
JimSand
Advanced

Congrats!
  • Make sure you tell Jamie Dillon to make a note not to drill in your front license plate and order the brackets from www.usmillworks.com.
  • If you can, stay at Hotel Steigenberger Graf Zeppelin in Stuttgart.
  • Book your hotels thru www.booking.com under facility select "Private Parking" and reserve ahead of time.
  • If you park underground make sure you go very slow since a lot of the parking structures have steep driveways.
  • Get familiar with the road signage
  • Do not speed in the big cities.
  • Have lots of fun.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:19 AM
Fowwiee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nlpamg
Thanks for the offer! I sent you a PM. I wouldn't mind doing a very short ED for this car

That's funny, I'm replacing my GT-R with the GT3, lol.
Replied.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:56 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 951 Likes on 424 Posts

First off, congrats on the car and deciding to take Euro Delivery. I just returned yesterday from a 12 day journey after picking up my Turbo Cab. It was an amazing experience, weather was fantastic. Drove from Stuttgart into Switzerland, northern Italy and Austria. A few recommendations:

-the Porsche museum is actually quite small, easily done on the day of the delivery and factory tour; hit the road after delivery! Don't spend an extra day in Stuttgart just for this tiny museum, there are lots of other places to experience
-definitely hit the Mercedes Museum
-get the European Nav installed, it's good for the constant reroutes needed for construction; plus it is a lifesaver in terms of seeing what the speed limits are
-be prepared for the drives to take longer then anticipated, construction seems to be everywhere. it's unfortunately rare to get long stretches of driving on the autobahn without grinding to a halt for a traffic jam
-booking.com is great to find hotels with private parking, never once had an issue with unsafe parking.

Where are you headed in this vacation? As another post said, be prepared for snow or really cold weather that time of year depending upon what your travel plans are. I go to Europe often, so depending on travel plans might have some further recommendations.

Enjoy and be safe!
Old 10-02-2014, 02:55 PM
otisdog
Pro

Originally Posted by JimSand
[*]Make sure you tell Jamie Dillon to make a note not to drill in your front license plate and order the brackets from www.usmillworks.com
I've heard that if you take delivery in Leipzig that they will affix your plate with tape and not drill the holes in the bumper...true?
Old 10-03-2014, 06:56 PM
spr993
Rennlist Member

Does anyone know how long you can keep the car in Europe before bringing it back to the US - if you pay for longer insurance coverage (how much?) can you keep it in Europe for a year?
Old 10-03-2014, 07:17 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After 6 months I was told the VAT kicks in at 20% additional tax.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:30 PM
spr993
Rennlist Member

So 6 mons is effectively the limit - any idea what the insurance runs when you extend it out for those 6 mons?
Old 10-03-2014, 07:41 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

I never got to do a Euro delivery because of the stop sale but I didn't think it was any more than in the US. One think to be aware of is that most of the US dealers will expect you to leave a deposit for the full VAT (I think its actually 15%). It's returned on e your car reached the US. If you have a good relationship with your dealer they might wave the deposit. They were going to do that for me since I purchased a car from them before. Dealers are on the hook from PCNA if the VAT tax is triggered.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:44 PM
spr993
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the information
Old 10-04-2014, 08:06 AM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Is this worth doing if my build would put me there in January? Would it be cold enough to require a set of winter tires? It doesn't get much colder than 60f where I am from..
Old 10-04-2014, 11:52 AM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bigkraig
Is this worth doing if my build would put me there in January? Would it be cold enough to require a set of winter tires? It doesn't get much colder than 60f where I am from..
Its possible but you would be taking some chances with the European winters. I personally would not do it with a GT3.
Old 10-04-2014, 02:34 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I wouldn't be doing an ED in January. Too much risk that weather could ruin most of the fun.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:25 PM
Fowwiee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by disden
First off, congrats on the car and deciding to take Euro Delivery. I just returned yesterday from a 12 day journey after picking up my Turbo Cab. It was an amazing experience, weather was fantastic. Drove from Stuttgart into Switzerland, northern Italy and Austria. A few recommendations:

-the Porsche museum is actually quite small, easily done on the day of the delivery and factory tour; hit the road after delivery! Don't spend an extra day in Stuttgart just for this tiny museum, there are lots of other places to experience
-definitely hit the Mercedes Museum
-get the European Nav installed, it's good for the constant reroutes needed for construction; plus it is a lifesaver in terms of seeing what the speed limits are
-be prepared for the drives to take longer then anticipated, construction seems to be everywhere. it's unfortunately rare to get long stretches of driving on the autobahn without grinding to a halt for a traffic jam
-booking.com is great to find hotels with private parking, never once had an issue with unsafe parking.

Where are you headed in this vacation? As another post said, be prepared for snow or really cold weather that time of year depending upon what your travel plans are. I go to Europe often, so depending on travel plans might have some further recommendations.

Enjoy and be safe!
I wish I can be there for longer, but we can only be there for a week!
Day 1 - Stuttgart
Day 2 - Stuttgart pick up car in the mornings, then do the black forest drive
Day 3 - Konstanz
Day 4 - Fussen
Day 5 - Innsbruck
Day 6 - Salzburg
Day 7 - Munich
Day 8 - Stuttgart return car and fly home!

I can't go to the Porsche Museum on the same day as my pickup, cause my pick up is on Monday, and the Museum is closed. So I think I will do it on the last day, when I fly out from Stuttgart.

I didn't pick the PCM euro option, but my dealer said he added it in for me (for free!).

Then the wait begin!

Quick Reply: Got my Euro Delivery Package!