991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTH. BBQ, first the GT3 now the 918?

Old 09-29-2014, 10:48 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Give Porsche a reasonable doubt on this one! People freak out right away because of what happened with the GT3. This is not the case,I'm positive about that!
Watch the video posted on the 918 forum from a local news,where they're showing pictures with the dumb *** owner trying to wipe the spilled gasoline off the fender and pushing it in the engine/exhaust area or hot brakes. Freak accident,that's all...
Old 09-29-2014, 10:59 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,382 Likes on 719 Posts

His insurance Company is not going to be too happy
Old 09-29-2014, 11:11 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,717 Likes on 4,755 Posts

Originally Posted by 918man
I am serious.

I emailed my 918 rep about it. No response which doesnt make me feel good at all.
Relax. It just happened.

PAG probably knows about it, but (like everyone here) has no clue how or why it happened.

Once they've done their investigation and due diligence, they'll respond appropriate.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:13 PM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^^ Agreed. Wonder if he will get 100% of value back or!will they try and weasel out of 50k to 100k claiming depreciation.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:09 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Good reporting on 'what happened' at the link below:

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.2029571

See attached photos from that report.

Although this fire was apparently caused by the 'unexpected' and rather 'misguided/odd' actions of the owner to an apparent overflow/spillage of gas during this fill-up at a gasoline station, I predict that the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in the US will most likely examine closely this video and discuss with Porsche the likelihood that this 'fueling' error and subsequent fire could be duplicated by a US customer of this model in this country. Unfortunately, this is the type of 'accident' that could create a mountain of headaches for this superb 918 model (and Porsche) since a repositioning of the exhaust on this car is now frankly out of the question!

I sincerely hope this unfortunate mishap doesn't have major consequences for PAG and PCNA, but I am very concerned! Knowing the mentality of the 'nanny-state' culture in our own country, it would not surprise me if they 'step' in to save us from this potential 'fire hazard' for its owner or passenger...and the general public at, or around, gas stations!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images     
Old 09-30-2014, 12:18 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Good grief. Glad they are OK. Definitely a problem for Porsche. Easily could happen again.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:38 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
I can't imagine it was a gas filling issue. It's hard to believe
that could happen short of putting the gas nozzle inside the exhaust port. My money is on battery/electric fire.
If you look at the video screen grab you can see the gas filler cap is open and the guy is trying to squeegee something off the body work of the car; obviously fuel. Also from the screen grab the fire clearly starts in that area

It's impossible to protect everyone from their own stupidity or clumsiness.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:47 AM
Strimdog
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
If you look at the video screen grab you can see the gas filler cap is open and the guy is trying to squeegee something off the body work of the car; obviously fuel. Also from the screen grab the fire clearly starts in that area

It's impossible to protect everyone from their own stupidity or clumsiness.
Maybe he should save his 900k and buy a Nissan Leaf next.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:52 AM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the owner squeegies fuel into the engine after overflow. Car catches fire. An laughs along with gas station attendant.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:15 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

If it's just a dumb mistake, like silverrules said it could easily happen again. Problem with proximity of fuel filler and hot exhaust. #Awful.

Millions of people fuel up their cars every day and this happens with a car that only 3 exist in the country. Big problem if you ask me. "Honey, be careful when you fill up the tank on the 918." "Why baby?" "Because you may light my Porsche on fire."

"Are you kidding me?" "I'm not driving that thing."

Solves the problem of not wanting your significant other drive your supercar. Downside is I can see that happening with anyone filling up.

Glad no one was hurt.

He was laughing because he can. For the same reason I'd be laughing at my Prius if I accidentally lit it on fire at the gas station as well.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:32 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
So the owner squeegies fuel into the engine after overflow. Car catches fire. An laughs along with gas station attendant.

Gonna go out on a very long limb here, and by limited evidence basis on my end except a strong hunch that this guy did it on purpose to claim the insurance.

Here is my opinion based on the provided evidence so far:

1. Squeegee fuel back toward the engine bay.

2. Laughing with the gas attendant after the fact.

I guess he got caught up in the heat of the moment (no pun intended).
Old 09-30-2014, 05:03 AM
chizi
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think he is a Freaking idiot. firstly he does not know how to fill gas. Close the gas cap the car is not and there is vapor coming out of there. the sqeegee he is using most probly has soap water. I think insurance company is gonna screw him if its not covered by Porsche.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:35 AM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts

Looking at this pic -

Doesn't it look like there is a chance any fuel overflow will flow into the intake hole even with out a squeegee?
Old 09-30-2014, 05:44 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

even if user error...this will get the attention of more than a few certifying bodies.....

Still...how different to refueling a motorbike and overflowing...with exposed hot surfaces in proximity...

(edit ad: as noted by others..fire commences lower down on car......not at exhaust....maybe below....be surprised if vapour concentration lower down would have been high enough to ignite (granted..don't have Perry's to hand to judge air/fuel/temp flash temp)...suspect more likely spilt liquid gasoline flashed off hot engine element at lower side car....as this would have been well above Flash point of C6-C10 fractions)

Last edited by Bill_C4S; 09-30-2014 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:07 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I bet insurance companies wont be insuring this car. Its like disaster waiting to happen.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WTH. BBQ, first the GT3 now the 918?