Sponsored by:

Transmission Fluid Leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 09:40 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Mate - thats a fairly serious amount of track miles. If anyone was going to shake an issue out with this car on the track early on you might be the guinea pig?

My track group includes two guys with track modified 996TT tiptronics. Both have had issues with the fluid expansion leaving a puddle after a long fast drive or a track session in the past - lst time it was after some gearbox work and attributed to being overfilled when the job was done. Assuming no one has topped up your gearbox oil since you had the car this is probably unlikely in your case - however it seems heat is an issue (with all gearboxes) and your box may be creating more heat recently than it should. probably an oil change at the least is required to try and figure things out. The service mileage for a heavily tracked car is 6000 miles if I recall according to the manual and you must be getting up there on the transmission especially given the use its been getting.

If I remember back to the original "stop production" in relation to the 991 GT3 back in Sept/October 2013 the rumour then was that the factory had identified a PDK-S overheating issue after heavy abuse. I was led to believe by some folks better in the know that a fix was designed (larger cooler?) and fitted to all cars that had been at that time produced but awaiting shipping. Ive seen as other have the transmission out of the car (I posted my engine swap photos - 20+ of them on a thread elsewhere as you will recall) and the gearbox indeed seems to be well equipped with oil coolers. Id be surprised if the design is an issue especially when you see (on Youtube) and hear of cars on track in Europe (like RSR taxi 991 GT3 at ring) etc that have done thousands of laps already in European summer without issue. That being said this is a small sample gorup, only 700 cars probably delivered to customers by now and maybe only 15% of those pushed real hard on track repeatedly and even then only for one short season so far.

Please keep us informed as to your situation. I suspect its peculiar to your car but in this world you can never say never....
Not trying to be a spoil sport, but the Cayman R had an overheating issue on the track, that Porsche at first denied until it happened to them at their US track.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:42 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Not trying to be a spoil sport, but the Cayman R had an overheating issue on the track, that Porsche at first denied until it happened to them at their US track.
We are talking PDK gearbox?
Old 09-29-2014, 09:42 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Holy cow that is an awesome amount of track miles, great job you for getting all that track time in already. I hope it could be a simple case of an overfilled tranny level from factory but suspect that you would have noticed it much earlier and it would have corrected itself after the excess fluid expanded out after first couple of track outings? I'm interested on how this plays out and I hope its something simple. Good luck and we'll all be awaiting dealer visit update!
Old 09-29-2014, 10:31 PM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
Holy cow that is an awesome amount of track miles, great job you for getting all that track time in already. I hope it could be a simple case of an overfilled tranny level from factory but suspect that you would have noticed it much earlier and it would have corrected itself after the excess fluid expanded out after first couple of track outings? I'm interested on how this plays out and I hope its something simple. Good luck and we'll all be awaiting dealer visit update!
Like I stated earlier, I was having problems with seepage earlier and the first time the dealer cleaned everything off, topped tranny fluid (almost a liter) and tested it, but no leakage.

Picked her up and took to the track. Really didn't push that hard either of two days (not too many fast cars to run with). It was actually one run that I ran relatively hard and it happened?

Here's the video. I don't think I'm going nuts?

BTW, Macca good to see you're around.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:43 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks mate. I always try and keep and eye out for your posts. The angle of your gopro looks like mounted from Rennline Tow hook mount - could that be right?
Old 09-29-2014, 11:09 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

That is some good driving
Old 09-30-2014, 12:01 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Agree. Though you said you were taking it easy ;-)
Old 09-30-2014, 07:34 AM
est8esq
Racer

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
That is some good driving
Thanks, Jimmy.

Only, we all know this car really does eat people's lunch w/out much effort, driver ability aside.

I need to get this trans issue fixed. Sebring Winterfest is what I consider the "Crown Jewel" of any race or DE.

I'm sure I'll see a few this coming year on track and then we'll see. Kinda like hunting, I may be eating humble pie when someone else is able to finally shoot back?

On to dealer this morning. Will keep all posted.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:28 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by est8esq
Thanks, Jimmy.

Only, we all know this car really does eat people's lunch w/out much effort, driver ability aside.

I need to get this trans issue fixed. Sebring Winterfest is what I consider the "Crown Jewel" of any race or DE.

I'm sure I'll see a few this coming year on track and then we'll see. Kinda like hunting, I may be eating humble pie when someone else is able to finally shoot back?

On to dealer this morning. Will keep all posted.
Thanks for sharing and updates!!
It's tough being a Porsche test driver but someone has to do it!

If it's a temp issue the thing should go in limp mode like the other models overheating at the track I think. This can be a little tricky at the track because it could be that it just quits down shifting under hard breaking and you get caught out be engine brake reduction.
Maybe they put the limp mode (too) much higher?

First I read on leaking so probably just need to be tightened up.
There is no room for an overflow catch an back there like I have in my Rustang ;-)
Old 10-01-2014, 01:42 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

That's some driving... Very nice video
Old 10-01-2014, 09:13 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Not sure how similar my 2012 Carrera GTS PDK mechanically is but I've not had any over heat or leaking issues. I haven't heard of any leak issues from other PDK users. I've been tracking PDK since September 2008 starting with my red 2009 Carrera S then to my 2012 GTS.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:48 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

This could be just an isolated issue. I certainly hope this is nothing major and just minor.

Please report back as soon as you learn some thing
Old 10-01-2014, 04:56 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Great driving.....another set of tires please?
Old 10-06-2014, 07:36 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Updates?
Old 10-06-2014, 07:40 PM
est8esq
Racer

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Updates?
As we used to say down at Quantico during days of OCS, "Hurry up and wait."

Haven't heard anything back yet?

Spoke to Porsche NA and they got someone right on it last week. Last I spoke to my tech, he was instructed to take pics and shoot them off?

In their defense, I'm not running again until middle of Oct., so told them I'm not in a rush.

I'll follow up tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid Leak