Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Desperately Tracking the "Florida Highway"

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 12:28 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

The Florida Highway (carrying my GT3) went out of range in the Celtic Sea 6 days ago and I've been waiting for it to pop back up on terrestrial AIS on this side of the pond. All week, my curiosity about it's location was killing me. I would have loved to see her voyage across the Atlantic, but getting Satellite AIS positions is not cheap.

Just discovered that on Fleetmon, you can buy individual S-AIS positions for roughly $3 each. For freaks like me that want to stalk their cars as they cross open water, this is a no brainer.

There is an approval process to access S-AIS that hopefully wont take long. I would have kicked that off when she pulled out of Emden had I known! I'll hopefully soon know where she is - and how long until my GT3 pulls in to port!

Just thought I'd post if anyone else is equally obsessed.

Last edited by sgroer; 09-28-2014 at 12:52 AM.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:54 AM
green
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's awesome to see how excited you are about your upcoming GT3!
That's what being a car nut is all about.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:13 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Why are we so obsessed with this car? Is it the look, the Power, the sole? why? I thought I was obsessed with my 997 GT3 and then came this version.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:28 AM
Bruno Giacomelli
Instructor

Originally Posted by sgroer
The Florida Highway (carrying my GT3) went out of range in the Celtic Sea 6 days ago and I've been waiting for it to pop back up on terrestrial AIS on this side of the pond. All week, my curiosity about it's location was killing me. I would have loved to see her voyage across the Atlantic, but getting Satellite AIS positions is not cheap.

Just discovered that on Fleetmon, you can buy individual S-AIS positions for roughly $3 each. For freaks like me that want to stalk their cars as they cross open water, this is a no brainer.

There is an approval process to access S-AIS that hopefully wont take long. I would have kicked that off when she pulled out of Emden had I known! I'll hopefully soon know where she is - and how long until my GT3 pulls in to port!

Sgroer - my dealer told me my car left Emden yesterday on its way to San Diego, but he couldn't tell me what boat it's on. I've gone online and looked up the shipping schedule from VW LOGISTICS and it's not showing a west coast boat leaving Emden yesterday. I also didn't see Florida Highway leaving Emden recently either. Where did you get your info from? Thanks.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:49 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

According to vesseltracker the ship is expected in port on the 30th at 14:00

Get info for arrivals at Brunswick.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:37 AM
918man
Racer

I tracked mine. You are not alone.

We are obsessed because its just that good!!!!!!
Old 09-28-2014, 09:49 AM
Strimdog
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 60 Posts

Congrats! I can't wait to track mine across the pond. Unfortunately it's several months away as I have a late Nov build which it's currency com sheet lists at 12/19 departure from Emden. How were you able to isolate which carrier your car was on?
Old 09-28-2014, 09:55 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

It takes about 7 days to cross so it should show up soon.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:01 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bruno Giacomelli
Sgroer - my dealer told me my car left Emden yesterday on its way to San Diego, but he couldn't tell me what boat it's on. I've gone online and looked up the shipping schedule from VW LOGISTICS and it's not showing a west coast boat leaving Emden yesterday. I also didn't see Florida Highway leaving Emden recently either. Where did you get your info from? Thanks.
It appears that the only Vehicle carrier that left Emden Yesterday, according to this pagehttp://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/index/port_moves/all/page:12/port:175/portname:EMDEN/tl_day:3

was the "City of Amsterdam" - which is now in England. I think it's unlikely that ship will continue on to California. According to the schedule I downloaded last week, there was no planned departure this week for the west coast by VW logistics. Not sure!

The Florida Highway pulled out of Emden on 9/18 and was visible on marinetraffic or the other sites. 3 days through the English Channel and then into the great wide open, out of range!
Old 09-28-2014, 06:05 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 152 Posts

I tracked my Turbo last December. It's fun.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:07 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Strimdog
Congrats! I can't wait to track mine across the pond. Unfortunately it's several months away as I have a late Nov build which it's currency com sheet lists at 12/19 departure from Emden. How were you able to isolate which carrier your car was on?
Here is the VW Logistics website - Choose US, and then VW logistics and the schedule downloads. www.pwl.de/en
Old 09-28-2014, 06:34 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I tracked mine daily as well. The most brutal part of the wait was port to dealer. During that time, everyone is clueless as to the status. Mine took three weeks from arrival at SD, to arrival at dealer. I'm about a 9 hour drive from port.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:48 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm trying to figure out the ship schedule. if it shows ETA Emden is that the date it arrives at Emden? And then on the right side the departure date for the destination port?
Or is that the date it's scheduled to arrive at destination port?
Sgroer, I'm with you on the tracking obsession! I gots to know! I have to get that tracking thing you are applying for!
Old 09-28-2014, 07:08 PM
Bruno Giacomelli
Instructor

It appears that the only Vehicle carrier that left Emden Yesterday, according to this pagehttp://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/index/port_moves/all/page:12/port:175/portname:EMDEN/tl_day:3

was the "City of Amsterdam" - which is now in England. I think it's unlikely that ship will continue on to California. According to the schedule I downloaded last week, there was no planned departure this week for the west coast by VW logistics. Not sure!

The Florida Highway pulled out of Emden on 9/18 and was visible on marinetraffic or the other sites. 3 days through the English Channel and then into the great wide open, out of range!
Thanks for checking it out - much appreciated!
I think the dealer's departure date was off by a day - Virgo Leader left Emden on 9/25 @ 9:21am for San Diego according to VW Logistics and confirmed by marinetraffic.com. ETA in San Diego on 10/22.
If that schedule holds up, it will arrive a little more than 2 weeks earlier than original Porsche schedule.
Pretty cool to see the real-time GPS tracking of the vessel while it's fairly close to shore - it should exit the English Channel by tomorrow night.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:16 PM
Strimdog
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 60 Posts

Here is the VW Logistics website - Choose US, and then VW logistics and the schedule downloads. www.pwl.de/en
Thanks Sgroer! I appreciate the info! Looking forward to seeing pics of your new ride!

Quick Reply: Desperately Tracking the "Florida Highway"