Sponsored by:

First Post and My Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 09:17 PM
_BrakeDust_
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Post and My Build

As a long-time lurker I want to first say "Thank You" for all the great tips and information I have gleaned over the past 6 or so years. You all have a great forum here and I hope to be able to contribute myself in the future.

I have a delivery date of 1/2/15 for my new GT3. Passed on an allocation last year 2 weeks after picking up my 2014 black C2S with powerkit and the guy that took the allocation still hasn't received his car - its due to come in next week. Got the call about a week ago for an October build, but that would have meant no buckets. Somehow they were able to trade for a November build, so I took the allocation.

My build is as follows:

GT Silver Metallic
Leather Interior with Plat stitching
Extended range fuel tank
Auto dimming mirrors and rain sensor
Bi-xenon headlights in black
Headlight cleaners in exterior color
Front axel lift
Standard wheels
Fire Ext.
Luggage net
Smoking package
Floor mats
Lightweight Buckets
Storage compartment lid in Alcantara with crest
Carbon fiber interior package
Door sills in carbon fiber
Sound package plus
PCM
Sport Chrono

I know there are a few frills on there that many of you wouldn't choose for your own cars, but I am going to drive this every day and love the look of the leather with the extended carbon fiber. The GT silver has always been my favorite color and my three prior 911s have all been black or metallic black. This is the first time I have ordered one with my own config. The others were all just bought off the lot.

Looking forward to getting this beast on the track. I do DE's at Barber and Road Atlanta. If any of you are ever there when I am, be sure to come over and say hi - probably wont be many other GT silver GT3s at our events. Once again, thanks for all your help.

BD
Old 09-23-2014, 09:29 PM
_BrakeDust_
Instructor

Pic of the build from the configurator
Old 09-23-2014, 09:35 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

Congratulations! Another terrific build.
So that makes 5 GT Silver's who will no doubt be visiting Barber sometime!

sgroer - atl
Lodi - atl
sc991 - atl
Haku (myself) - cha
_Brakedust_ - Huntsville

It's going to be quite a sight! We must organize a group photoshoot once they're all here.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:44 PM
_BrakeDust_
Instructor

Wow! Had no idea! That would be killer to line them all up for photos.
We will have to look at the DE schedule for next year and pick one that we can all make.
Count me IN!
Old 09-23-2014, 09:52 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by _BrakeDust_
Pic of the build from the configurator
How are you getting pics of build and options and uploading to forum? They don't save as jpg and forum seems to Only accept jpg
Old 09-23-2014, 09:53 PM
_BrakeDust_
Instructor

Print Screen function on keyboard
Open paint
hit "control V" to paste
crop and save
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

Or on iPad, press top right (on/off) and bottom center (menu) button together for screen grab.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:11 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Or on Mac: Shift+Command+4 which gives you cross hairs to (rectangle) select whatever you want off the screen.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:01 PM
_BrakeDust_
Instructor

I can't believe I am joining the crew that is second guessing their color choice, but it looks like I am.

I have always loved the darker grey Porsche colors. The downside to them is they really look dull and lackluster when dirty.
A clean and glossy Agate Gray is stunning, but not so much with a couple of weeks of road grime. The GT Silver tends to look better for longer imo.

After doing some research into CQuartz Finest, http://cquartz.com/finest, I may have to switch to Agate.
Seems that this stuff is exactly what Agate needs.
Supposedly stays much cleaner and retains a deep gloss. Detailer that I found in Alabama seems to really know his stuff. http://www.insanepaintdetailing.com/
Looks like a new car prep with Cquatz is about $600 - is this about right?

If anyone has any comments about either Cquartz Finest or Insane Paint Detailing, I would love to hear from them. Thanks
Old 09-28-2014, 12:16 PM
_BrakeDust_
Instructor

A capture from the config for comparison's sake.

Old 09-28-2014, 12:20 PM
TargaLover
Advanced

You have ordered, basically, my configuration! I'm dying to see it when you get it, particularly the interior. I think the GT Silver is beautiful and you get to see the other details of the car with the lighter shade. Great job and enjoy!

991 GT3 (awaiting delivery)
'97 993 Targa (beloved)
Old 09-28-2014, 12:43 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

I had Cquartz applied 3 weeks ago but I do not know why that would make you want to change the color of your car. There is no doubt the Cquartz leaves a nice "wet" look to your car but your car will still get dirty like any other vehicle. The difference is wen you clean it; you just rinse with water and use some good car shampoo. No more waxing, buffing et. Certainly makes cleaning the car very easy and then She is left looking like she just got another wax job. I am very glad I did it but it would not make me change my mind about changing the color of my car
Old 09-28-2014, 01:49 PM
_BrakeDust_
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I had Cquartz applied 3 weeks ago but I do not know why that would make you want to change the color of your car. There is no doubt the Cquartz leaves a nice "wet" look to your car but your car will still get dirty like any other vehicle. The difference is wen you clean it; you just rinse with water and use some good car shampoo. No more waxing, buffing et. Certainly makes cleaning the car very easy and then She is left looking like she just got another wax job. I am very glad I did it but it would not make me change my mind about changing the color of my car
I love both colors when they are clean and glossy. Agate has the edge when in this condition. The GT silver seems to look better under less than optimal conditions. My question was really about the CQuartz keeping the Agate looking great longer. The reading I have done makes me think this would be the case with the product's hydrophobic and slickness characteristics.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:22 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

As a long-time lurker I want to first say "Thank You" for all the great tips and information I have gleaned over the past 6 or so years. You all have a great forum here and I hope to be able to contribute myself in the future. I have a delivery date of 1/2/15 for my new GT3. Passed on an allocation last year 2 weeks after picking up my 2014 black C2S with powerkit and the guy that took the allocation still hasn't received his car - its due to come in next week. Got the call about a week ago for an October build, but that would have meant no buckets. Somehow they were able to trade for a November build, so I took the allocation. My build is as follows: GT Silver Metallic Leather Interior with Plat stitching Extended range fuel tank Auto dimming mirrors and rain sensor Bi-xenon headlights in black Headlight cleaners in exterior color Front axel lift Standard wheels Fire Ext. Luggage net Smoking package Floor mats Lightweight Buckets Storage compartment lid in Alcantara with crest Carbon fiber interior package Door sills in carbon fiber Sound package plus PCM Sport Chrono I know there are a few frills on there that many of you wouldn't choose for your own cars, but I am going to drive this every day and love the look of the leather with the extended carbon fiber. The GT silver has always been my favorite color and my three prior 911s have all been black or metallic black. This is the first time I have ordered one with my own config. The others were all just bought off the lot. Looking forward to getting this beast on the track. I do DE's at Barber and Road Atlanta. If any of you are ever there when I am, be sure to come over and say hi - probably wont be many other GT silver GT3s at our events. Once again, thanks for all your help. BD
Nice build. My GT silver arrives in a week or so. I run with MVP track time at road a. Going 11/22. That will be first track day for my GT3. Couple other 991's have expressed interest as well.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:51 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

Wow! Had no idea! That would be killer to line them all up for photos.
We will have to look at the DE schedule for next year and pick one that we can all make.
Count me IN!
Count me in too... Not long now for me... The "Florida highway" is 36 hours from Port!!

Quick Reply: First Post and My Build