Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

White Looks Best With Standard Wheels, No Black Wheels, No Silver Wheels...

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 04:08 PM
Napoli
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Pazzo009
White cars and black wheels is so played out. Good luck with your choice. I like the silver on white, it pops.
This!
Old 09-23-2014, 04:38 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

Are there different shades of black(shiny/matte/satin) for Plastidip choices?

Can you wash and dry over it?

Is there detailers that offer this?
Old 09-23-2014, 04:58 PM
mdkim
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Are there different shades of black(shiny/matte/satin) for Plastidip choices?

Can you wash and dry over it?

Is there detailers that offer this?
Yes, yes and yes .
Old 09-23-2014, 05:03 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

You can actually do it in almost any color now. The positive for me is that the wheels don't get heated to 800F like with powder coating, it's removable, and you don't remove the tires from the wheel to do it.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:30 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

PCCB so no concern with brake dust. I agree with some that the grey almost looks dirty. But I am hopeful that that is just how they photograph, and that when really clean, waxed, etc. they look good up against white. Not sure about the "black is so played out" comments. I agree a lot of bright colored sports cars do black wheels, but I think its timeless and aggressive, and you see that combo a lot on the track also.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:52 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

The Standard wheel looks great. You pay nothing for them and they look even better as they dirty
Old 09-23-2014, 09:18 PM
Bruno Giacomelli
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=mrsullivan;11670521]PCCB so no concern with brake dust. I agree with some that the grey almost looks dirty. But I am hopeful that that is just how they photograph, and that when really clean, waxed, etc. they look good up against white. Not sure about the "black is so played out" comments. I agree a lot of bright colored sports cars do black wheels, but I think its timeless and aggressive, and you see that combo a lot on the track also.[/QUOTE]

black wheels with your white car - you have it broken down correctly above; stay the course!
Old 09-23-2014, 11:03 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

understood...

although the silver wheels look pretty good on this...
Attached Images   
Old 09-24-2014, 04:44 PM
KenU
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
PCCB so no concern with brake dust. I agree with some that the grey almost looks dirty. But I am hopeful that that is just how they photograph, and that when really clean, waxed, etc. they look good up against white. Not sure about the "black is so played out" comments. I agree a lot of bright colored sports cars do black wheels, but I think its timeless and aggressive, and you see that combo a lot on the track also.
I have seen the standard wheels right after a wash and detail of a 991 GT3 and agree the they still look "dirty" to me.

Like anything else related to style, color, etc., it's all "in the eye of the beholder".

I have never liked black wheels, thought they were a little too "gangsta" looking to me but saw a yellow 991 GT3 today with black wheels and it looked fantastic. I also saw a Rhodium Silver GT3 with black wheels a few weeks ago, but oddly in the 5 spoke design, and this car was gorgeous!

So, let's say the black wheels stigma is fading on me. My order goes hard Oct 15th and am struggling with Guards Red and Rhodium as a color and, like you, vascillating between standard and black wheels. I don't like wheels that are dirty or dirty-looking. The black wheel has a nice gloss finish on them compared to the dull finish on the standard.

These should be our worst problems in life!
Old 09-24-2014, 04:57 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have occasionally questioned myself on this but now firmly committed to black on white....unless, of course, I change at the last minute 😃 Locks on 10/1.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:25 PM
mrhebert
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 48 Posts

Standard, the same color as brake dust.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:42 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhebert
Standard, the same color as brake dust.
I agree. If the black was satin, it would be a different story. I have gloss black 21" on the GTS Cayenne. My winter 20" Oz in stain black look better.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:45 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by KenU
I have seen the standard wheels right after a wash and detail of a 991 GT3 and agree the they still look "dirty" to me.

Like anything else related to style, color, etc., it's all "in the eye of the beholder".

I have never liked black wheels, thought they were a little too "gangsta" looking to me but saw a yellow 991 GT3 today with black wheels and it looked fantastic. I also saw a Rhodium Silver GT3 with black wheels a few weeks ago, but oddly in the 5 spoke design, and this car was gorgeous!

So, let's say the black wheels stigma is fading on me. My order goes hard Oct 15th and am struggling with Guards Red and Rhodium as a color and, like you, vascillating between standard and black wheels. I don't like wheels that are dirty or dirty-looking. The black wheel has a nice gloss finish on them compared to the dull finish on the standard.

These should be our worst problems in life!
for sure, all these "problems" are insignificant (understatement)....even if they don't feel like they are sometimes

and I agree...the standard wheels look dirty, which is what gives me pause on them...
Old 09-24-2014, 06:48 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
and I agree...the standard wheels look dirty, which is what gives me pause on them...
I like dirty hawt chicks ! I know.. I'm a sleeze bag in the mind...
Old 09-24-2014, 07:08 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx
Another vote for the black lights and gray wheels here!

+1. I am getting bk lights with standard wheels. I think they blend beautifully.

Black wheels and PCCBs look great too.

I was initially going PCCB, now decided to go irons, red dev.stitch and buckets. Give me a week i'll go back to ceramics.

Quick Reply: White Looks Best With Standard Wheels, No Black Wheels, No Silver Wheels...