Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone have any insight on whether or not...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 04:59 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Does anyone have any insight on whether or not...

It will be possible to mix seats in the GT3 so that I can have the lightweight bucket for the drivers seat, and the regular sport seat on the passenger side? Obviously it will need to be done after delivery to get this configuration.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:29 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJay
It will be possible to mix seats in the GT3 so that I can have the lightweight bucket for the drivers seat, and the regular sport seat on the passenger side? Obviously it will need to be done after delivery to get this configuration.
Should be possible...
Old 09-21-2014, 06:05 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

If your question is centered around "can it be done physically" then agree with the above ... should work. If your question is centered around "will I have electronic issues with air bags, power modules, etc" then again, probably not if using Porsche seats with correct connectors (may have to reprogram airbag warnings with PIWIS II). If your question is centered around "can I have instructors in my car at the track", then probably not. Most organizations require the same seat (ie safety system) in place for driver and passenger/instructor.
If this last point is of importance to you, then you should most definitely check with your organization's CDI.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:00 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

I asked this of my dealer and they talked to the Porsche regional technical rep and they said you can switch the seats easily but not the electronics. They said this can only be done at the factory as the wiring, number of wires, etc is unique to each seat type.

You'd have to rewire half the car, rip up the carpet and pull apart the dash, and somehow get wiring and other parts from Germany. My dealer and the technical rep said it could only be done at the factory.

Needless to say, I was not pleased to hear this.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:28 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
I asked this of my dealer and they talked to the Porsche regional technical rep and they said you can switch the seats easily but not the electronics. They said this can only be done at the factory as the wiring, number of wires, etc is unique to each seat type.

You'd have to rewire half the car, rip up the carpet and pull apart the dash, and somehow get wiring and other parts from Germany. My dealer and the technical rep said it could only be done at the factory.

Huh? The wiring harnesses between the 2 seats should be the same. My spyder was originally equipped with sofa seats, and when I switched to bucket seats the wiring harnesses were identical between the 2 types of seats. Plug and play.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:36 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you speak to an Sales person or a mechanic? Doesn't sound right to me either. All passenger seats must have a passenger weight sensor, side airbag and most require power for adjustments. It's very unlikely the harness is different.

Ryan

Ryan
Old 09-21-2014, 07:41 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

All US Spec GT3s have the same floor wiring harness, you can use all three available 991 GT3 seat models and they should be interchangeable and all safety systems should work as intended assuming they are installed correctly
Old 09-21-2014, 09:26 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
All US Spec GT3s have the same floor wiring harness, you can use all three available 991 GT3 seat models and they should be interchangeable and all safety systems should work as intended assuming they are installed correctly
How do you know this?

I hope you are right. To make a long story short, I want to swap my 18-way seats 991 GT3 seats with a fellow 991 GT3 owner who has 4-way seats.
My dealer service manager said it was impossible. He said he spoke with his Regional Porsche technical rep who stated it was impossible outside of the factory, as the wiring harnesses are different and even the amount of wiring was different on the 18 way seats, and you'd have to rip the entire car apart to do it, and get wiring from Germany etc...

Maybe I should just call someone at PCNA, but who ? I don't know how to get a straight answer on this......

Last edited by Drifting; 09-21-2014 at 09:27 PM. Reason: .
Old 09-21-2014, 09:40 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

How do you know this?

I hope you are right. To make a long story short, I want to swap my 18-way seats 991 GT3 seats with a fellow 991 GT3 owner who has 4-way seats.
My dealer service manager said it was impossible. He said he spoke with his Regional Porsche technical rep who stated it was impossible outside of the factory, as the wiring harnesses are different and even the amount of wiring was different on the 18 way seats, and you'd have to rip the entire car apart to do it, and get wiring from Germany etc...

Maybe I should just call someone at PCNA, but who ? I don't know how to get a straight answer on this......
Originally it was confirmed in a email response from PAG to my dealer. I ordered lightweight sport seat buckets and wanted the option to possibly switch them out to 4 ways (in future) if they weren't comfortable. My best friend works at PCNA and he was the original catalyst that convinced me that this was a car I had to have. He also confirmed with tech department that you will not have to tear apart the carpeting and rewire the entire car to change to another seat as long as it is one of the offered seats that gets replaced. I suspect that the people you are speaking to are speculating the info that was provided and have not verified the information?
Old 09-21-2014, 09:44 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

How do you know this?

Also I might add that they will be offering 918 style lightweight sport buckets next year that will be able to be added to existing 991 GT3s for those owners that did not have the option originally, you will not have to "rewire" the cars for those either.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:56 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Most of the HPDE sponsoring Organizations and Clubs require identical restraint systems for both passenger and driver. Buckets are usually used with 4,5, or 6 point mounting safety belts.
It would be difficult to provide those restraints with a conventional passenger seat.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:00 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I had not considered the HDPE and track implications, thank you for reminding me of that. I was asking due to passengers and lady friends, not wanting to get in and out of the bucket seats and the others being more comfortable for them.

Quick Reply: Does anyone have any insight on whether or not...