991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Chrono Package incl. Porsche Track Precision App

Old 11-16-2014, 05:53 AM
Slip
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 21 Posts

Some good info on the Aus site, including a couple of PDf's with track listings.

Looks like it can also be retrofitted to 991 GT3's that didn't option the sports chrono pack if ordered through techquipment.

http://www.porsche.com/australia/mod...hrono-package/

Last edited by Slip; 11-18-2014 at 12:15 AM.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:00 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by provoke
I gave it a try..... I created a custom track.. Pretty easy... Start up the app "create new track" press start, drive your track then press finish.. I made a few laps back around 1st time nothing happen.. Didn't recognize my track.. 2nd time it recognized it and said it was recording but there was some error in the end.. Here are a few pics of what the app did. I'lll try again tomorrow and see if I can get the video to record..
That is great progress! So close to a first live recorded video with the Track Precision app. Are you trying it with your phone mounted looking out the window? Thanks for the effort. Looking forward to any developments today.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:46 PM
provoke
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mech33
That is great progress! So close to a first live recorded video with the Track Precision app. Are you trying it with your phone mounted looking out the window? Thanks for the effort. Looking forward to any developments today.
Couldn't really spend more time but 1 try again down the road.. It shows waiting till I get on the start point.. Once it recognizes it will change from waiting to recording. However I cant find the video anywhere on the app or on the phone.. What is stored is all the data associated with it. It exports in .vbo so if you have a VBox Racelogic system it will import in just fine. Maybe I am just missing something???? I have double checked to have video turned on as well as setting the storage limits available. I'll try again tomorrow.. I'll have more time then.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:34 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Couldn't really spend more time but 1 try again down the road.. It shows waiting till I get on the start point.. Once it recognizes it will change from waiting to recording. However I cant find the video anywhere on the app or on the phone.. What is stored is all the data associated with it. It exports in .vbo so if you have a VBox Racelogic system it will import in just fine. Maybe I am just missing something???? I have double checked to have video turned on as well as setting the storage limits available. I'll try again tomorrow.. I'll have more time then.
That's gotta be frustrating. Is there a support email address or phone number for the app? They charged a ton for it, they should make it work!

If video recording only worked on an official track, that would be super lame. But all the info I can find just says that the *preview* is turned off when not at an official track, not video recording...
Old 11-17-2014, 09:00 PM
mundman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pardon my ignorance but I picked up my car w/sport chrono. Is there an app for my phone that I'm supposed to have
Old 11-17-2014, 09:53 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mundman
Pardon my ignorance but I picked up my car w/sport chrono. Is there an app for my phone that I'm supposed to have
Yes, as long as your car is a 2015.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:24 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

I haven't got around to trying it out yet. I'm glad that I only paid $400 for it. I doubt that I would have bought it for $1850.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:52 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Zucc
I haven't got around to trying it out yet. I'm glad that I only paid $400 for it. I doubt that I would have bought it for $1850.
How did you swing that? $400 is what SC cost on the 2014 models, which do not have the track app.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:50 PM
provoke
Rennlist Member

That's gotta be frustrating. Is there a support email address or phone number for the app? They charged a ton for it, they should make it work!

If video recording only worked on an official track, that would be super lame. But all the info I can find just says that the *preview* is turned off when not at an official track, not video recording...
Sorry was raining all day today.. Tomorrow should be clear...
Old 11-18-2014, 03:43 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by doubleurx
How did you swing that? $400 is what SC cost on the 2014 models, which do not have the track app.
My original order was a 2014, when they bumped me to a 2015 they honored the original price since I had speced that car with Sports Chrono.

Last edited by Zucc; 11-18-2014 at 11:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-18-2014, 11:10 PM
provoke
Rennlist Member

After another try today... I don't think its possible to record video on a non official track.. Data points yes but Video no.. I read over the manual and FAQ's off porsche.com.

"If you are on a unknown race track the LiveViews are not available while driving for safety reasons. When you are on a known race track, the LiveViews are shown while driving"

I thought it might record still but there is no video anywhere on the camera roll or in the app nor export.. The play button is black and doesn't light up to be able to select it..

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

On the other hand I was able to load the data points from it into my Vbox Circuit Tools with ease.... (approx. 32 data points) So for zero wiring I think this is good value if you intend on track days. Vbox light is $1750 plus install etc..
Old 11-18-2014, 11:22 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

After another try today... I don't think its possible to record video on a non official track.. Data points yes but Video no.. I read over the manual and FAQ's off porsche.com.

"If you are on a unknown race track the LiveViews are not available while driving for safety reasons. When you are on a known race track, the LiveViews are shown while driving"

I thought it might record still but there is no video anywhere on the camera roll or in the app nor export.. The play button is black and doesn't light up to be able to select it..

On the other hand I was able to load the data points from it into my Vbox Circuit Tools with ease.... (approx. 32 data points) So for zero wiring I think this is good value if you intend on track days. Vbox light is $1750 plus install etc..
Bummer! Hopefully they will add more tracks as time goes on.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:32 PM
mundman
Burning Brakes

So where is this app for my 2015 SC
Old 11-18-2014, 11:41 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Thanks again for the effort! Any chance you'd be willing to post a link to an example datafile output (or perhaps email it via PM)? I'm curious on how much data is available, what the data rate is (especially on the position tracking), etc.

The main potential complaint with this Porsche Track Precision solution is that the GPS data rate is too low (1 Hz from the phone, or 1 Hz from the car's GPS), compared to the 10 Hz or 20 Hz of the "professional" VBox systems.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:42 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mundman
So where is this app for my 2015 SC
Apple iOS App Store on an iPhone. Not sure if the Android version is available yet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sport Chrono Package incl. Porsche Track Precision App