Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Chrono Package incl. Porsche Track Precision App

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 07:41 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Just an example, I was not suggesting that people create tracks around LA streets.

It might prove useful for people without official tracks though, for things like AutoX.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:00 PM
A36Pilot
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by provoke
Just tried messing with it.. It appears the app only works at the track... It asks you to select a nearby track.. Wont let you do anything else.... FYI to connect to the app select the WIFI from the car which will be something like "My_Porsche_........." Then type in GTx (case sensitive) then your VIN # ie GTxWP0..............
Provoke, did you mean to say that the connection from the smartphone app to the car/PCM is through Bluetooth? Thanks.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:26 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Looks great, promising.
But well find out how complicated it is because the car has no camera (Corvette does) you will have to merge data, or the overlay with actual video/sound.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:28 PM
provoke
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A36Pilot
Provoke, did you mean to say that the connection from the smartphone app to the car/PCM is through Bluetooth? Thanks.
No the car sends out a WIFI signal..
Old 11-09-2014, 08:43 PM
A36Pilot
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, thanks.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:26 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea I get you can map your own track... In theory that should work but I'm a little confused why one would do that? So attempt to track your GT3 and beat your times on the streets with the unforeseen circumstances of passive/ignorant drivers... No thank you....

On the other hand I guess if you just wanted to shoot come video of your drive with speed etc that might make sense...
I hear what you are saying there...but if there is some small east bum phuch road/track, mapping it yourself would be nice..
Old 11-09-2014, 10:14 PM
9972RS
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

where does this video show up? on the APP or on the PCM display?

The bottom part of your picture is the key. It's almost like an AIM smartycam video. Let's say you hook a gopro to record out of the windshield, how can you get the bottom portion of your picture to appear in the video.

QUOTE=provoke;11790848]Yea I get you can map your own track... In theory that should work but I'm a little confused why one would do that? So attempt to track your GT3 and beat your times on the streets with the unforeseen circumstances of passive/ignorant drivers... No thank you....

On the other hand I guess if you just wanted to shoot come video of your drive with speed etc that might make sense...

I linked up and on the vid preview it shows, rpm, speed, g-force but no movement at least at low speed like 3-4mph... I guess someone is just going to have to get to a track and test it out....

[/QUOTE]
Old 11-09-2014, 10:48 PM
provoke
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 9972RS
where does this video show up? on the APP or on the PCM display?

The bottom part of your picture is the key. It's almost like an AIM smartycam video. Let's say you hook a gopro to record out of the windshield, how can you get the bottom portion of your picture to appear in the video.

QUOTE=provoke;11790848]Yea I get you can map your own track... In theory that should work but I'm a little confused why one would do that? So attempt to track your GT3 and beat your times on the streets with the unforeseen circumstances of passive/ignorant drivers... No thank you....

I linked up and on the vid preview it shows, rpm, speed, g-force but no movement at least at low speed like 3-4mph... I guess someone is just going to have to get to a track and test it out....

[/QUOTE]

App.. I doubt you can overlay that specific gui on a gopro...
Old 11-09-2014, 10:54 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Yea I get you can map your own track... In theory that should work but I'm a little confused why one would do that? So attempt to track your GT3 and beat your times on the streets with the unforeseen circumstances of passive/ignorant drivers... No thank you....

You're so close! You can't get that live screen to actually display live gauge overlay data? Did you try recording and then playing back the video? There must be a way to make it go at that point.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:00 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,770 Likes on 4,771 Posts

No the car sends out a WIFI signal..
Does that mean the car is a WiFi hotspot?
Old 11-10-2014, 12:05 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Only for the purposes of transmitting sensor data to the smartphone.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:33 AM
provoke
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I don't think you can send out emails thru it lol but yes it has a wifi hotspot..
Old 11-11-2014, 01:34 AM
provoke
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mech33
You're so close! You can't get that live screen to actually display live gauge overlay data? Did you try recording and then playing back the video? There must be a way to make it go at that point.
No option to record.. Like I said we will have to wait till someone gets either close enough near a track or on one.. That was only a "preview" I guess for like setting you iPhone in your car to one of those RAM mounts probably...
Old 11-15-2014, 03:43 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

No option to record.. Like I said we will have to wait till someone gets either close enough near a track or on one.. That was only a "preview" I guess for like setting you iPhone in your car to one of those RAM mounts probably...
Supposedly you can create your own track, so there must be a way for you to create a custom track that it records as you drive or is interested in through the app in some way, and then that should let you activate recording and upload a video.

Would you be willing to give it a try?? There are a bunch of us with just another 2 weeks or so until option lock. Still debating dumping Sport Chrono or not.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:34 PM
provoke
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mech33
Supposedly you can create your own track, so there must be a way for you to create a custom track that it records as you drive or is interested in through the app in some way, and then that should let you activate recording and upload a video.

Would you be willing to give it a try?? There are a bunch of us with just another 2 weeks or so until option lock. Still debating dumping Sport Chrono or not.
I gave it a try..... I created a custom track.. Pretty easy... Start up the app "create new track" press start, drive your track then press finish.. I made a few laps back around 1st time nothing happen.. Didn't recognize my track.. 2nd time it recognized it and said it was recording but there was some error in the end.. Here are a few pics of what the app did. I'lll try again tomorrow and see if I can get the video to record..

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono Package incl. Porsche Track Precision App