Sponsored by:

Road Test Drive (Disappointed)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 04:44 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Curious, what would be the speed in 2nd gear at 8k rpm? 3rd?
1st 48mph @ 9000rpm
2nd 75mph
3rd 104mph
4th 133mph
5th 162mph
6th 192mph
7th 195mph @ 8100rpm

Subtract about 11% from each of those speeds gears 1-6 to get MPH @ 8K.
Old 09-20-2014, 04:50 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
1st 48mph @ 9000rpm
2nd 75mph
3rd 104mph
4th 133mph
5th 162mph
6th 192mph
7th 195mph @ 8100rpm

Subtract about 11% from each of those speeds gears 1-6 to get MPH @ 8K.

I'm picturing turning into corners at close to redline and holy crap this is a lot of MPH's. Even shorter with more power in RS and I can see where the laptime comes from RWS nonsense or not.

Going into 10a at Road ATL or T17 at Sebring, wowwowwow
Old 09-20-2014, 04:50 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Timely thread and just reinforced my decision to call my dealer and get a refund of my deposit for a new 3. Pulled the trigger last night on a 7.2-3 and couldn't be more excited!!! October can't get here quick enough.
Old 09-20-2014, 04:58 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting thread, and it is definitely giving me just a bit of pause. I'm currently driving a C5 vette with modified suspension and NA engine which puts out about 400 ft. lbs. (maxing around 4500 rpm) and 400 hp. at rear wheels. I realize the characteristics of the GT3 engine are totally different with respect to power band--but am I going to go into complete torque withdrawal with the GT3 for daily driving? I realize all of the GT3's positives, but since it's impossible to rent one......... My build locks at the end of next week.
Old 09-20-2014, 04:59 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by K964
Timely thread and just reinforced my decision to call my dealer and get a refund of my deposit for a new 3. Pulled the trigger last night on a 7.2-3 and couldn't be more excited!!! October can't get here quick enough.
howdy neighbor (12866)...I live there too. We should hook up to compare notes sometime. My '04 6-3 is going way for a new one. I am looking forward to January delivery...lol

edit: despite this thread, I remain whole heartedly undeterred with proceeding to techno GT3.

Last edited by rockitman; 09-20-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:05 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
This is a great thread, I'll add my 2c.

I'm going into this purchase very aware that I will "waste" this car on the road.. My license is too precious and my abilities too low to even begin to explore it like they do on the road portions of the magazine tests. I'm also aware that a boxster Spyder is probably more fun in daily driving because of it's smaller size, manual tranny, and non ground-scraping ride height.

Knowing all this, the motivation for me is to have an "event" when I get time on weekends to go for. A drive. I want to own something which looks utterly exotic, which for this price range the gt3 fits the bill. I want a car which gives me a sense of occasion when I turn it on.. I don't own multiple sports cars, and haven't owned anything this nice ever... So while for real world events a $50k Porsche would fit, I want the excitement and thrill of the look, sound, and let's admit it, absurdity of this car for the road.

I had the incredible fortune to do a very slow test drive with Mike in CA, and my thoughts were confirmed. On the road. The car was absolutely wasted... I could feel just how much potential there was, but a basic boxster would have probably felt the same. But just knowing what it "could" do, and getting to feel that right suspension, and getting to see it parked... Well, I was sold completely on the insanity. Very grateful to Mike for his trust that day!!!

I do look forward to dipping my toe into a few track days.. But the day that I don't get a heart in throat excitement taking this baby out of the garage.. It's getting sold and money is going back Into the stock market. It's too expensive and too special, to not "feel" special. That and the European delivery trip with my dad are basically my only reasons.
that describes EXACTLY how and why I buy and drive my Porsches... from 1966 to 2015 models. Sit in the garage until a sunny day. Then - bam - sense of occasion, psychologist, all built into one...
Old 09-20-2014, 05:07 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LAGinz
Interesting thread, and it is definitely giving me just a bit of pause. I'm currently driving a C5 vette with modified suspension and NA engine which puts out about 400 ft. lbs. (maxing around 4500 rpm) and 400 hp. at rear wheels. I realize the characteristics of the GT3 engine are totally different with respect to power band--but am I going to go into complete torque withdrawal with the GT3 for daily driving? I realize all of the GT3's positives, but since it's impossible to rent one......... My build locks at the end of next week.
GT3...much different drive compared to the low end of most pushrod V8s, and slight advantage in displacement (ha ha) and I understand lack of low end power is a big change...but at the track while you are busy shifting vette at 5k rpm, the GT3 will have additional 4k rpm to use up while sounding like its going supersonic!
Old 09-20-2014, 05:11 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

There's a lot to be said for the reality check provided by the OP. While internet forums are valuable for comparing notes and information, it is unrealistic and self defeating to expect universal acclaim for anything. IMHO problems arise on internet forums when people are: a) seeking validation for their choices; b) seeking validation for buyer's remorse; and c) seeking others to make choices for them.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:13 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

To compare you have to factor in the gearing, 991 GT3 has a 3.97 rear gear while the Corvette has a 3.42.

Ryan
Old 09-20-2014, 05:14 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

hmmmm...imagine having 630 lb-ft RWTQ
It will definitely be a different experience, but that is why I am doing it.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:23 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
hmmmm...imagine having 630 lb-ft RWTQ
It will definitely be a different experience, but that is why I am doing it.
I come from a 2010 ZR1 with 600 ft lbs of torque. It was a fun car, but a different driving experience. To be honest our Cayman R has plenty of torque for the street.

Ryan
Old 09-20-2014, 05:24 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually I left out that I also had aftermarket 3.9 gears on my Vette: To be fair though, I don't really need the level of low end torque I currently have. I find it sometimes to be a bit much on clutch engagements around town. I'm just concerned that the GT3 will feel too much the opposite---if you know what I mean.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:26 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

What's with all the street talk about a track car
Old 09-20-2014, 05:42 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If this car weighed 2500 lbs and had 550 hp, I'd be head over heels...
Old 09-20-2014, 05:46 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think the OP is too far afield. Perhaps it is appropriate to remind folks of all the early reviews. Those reviews had much acclaim for the GT3 and praised and loved the car, but at the same time felt the steering feedback was a bit behind the 7 RS, the rough, chuntering (I think Chris Harris' word) idle of the metzger was gone, and of course, lack of a manual very notably changed how you interact with the car.

I don't think anyone will argue it's a complete win in every category over the old.

But as an overall package it's a huge step up IMO. I've had the 7 GT3 and this car doesn't make me miss it. But I fully get why some would want the less refined, less tech driven, slower/older car. In some ways it has some charisma that has been removed from the new car.

The girl next door who's a 7, a bit moody, but a blast to be around, or the knockout supermodel who makes your eyes roll back into your head every time you redline her?

Quick Reply: Road Test Drive (Disappointed)