Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knowing What You Know Today, PDK or Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 10:45 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
You had might as well be asking if I preferred angels, fairy dust, or unicorns. The GT3 doesn't come in a manual. Get over it.
Do you happen to know what is the Scottish national animal?
Old 09-23-2014, 12:11 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by hfm
Do you happen to know what is the Scottish national animal?
Yup....
Attached Images  
Old 09-23-2014, 12:18 AM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like I said in the original thread. Would have ordered manual if both were offered. That would have been a mistake as the PDKS is awesome.

So, PDK.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:10 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

it manual is 5 or 6 speed, i would have a touch decsion b/n that and pdks
if it's 7 speed, sorry, you have to be pretty dumb to pick stick over pdks, you WILL miss shift, engine WILL blow up. and if you like rowing so much, kenworth has 15 or 21 speed stick shift.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:31 PM
_BrakeDust_
Instructor

Originally Posted by mooty
it manual is 5 or 6 speed, i would have a touch decsion b/n that and pdks
if it's 7 speed, sorry, you have to be pretty dumb to pick stick over pdks, you WILL miss shift, engine WILL blow up. and if you like rowing so much, kenworth has 15 or 21 speed stick shift.
I totally agree about the 7 speed. My current DD is a 2014 C2S with power kit and 7 speed manual. Thankfully I have never been shooting for 4th and hit 2nd instead. But I have been shooting for 3rd and missed and hit 5th, which sucks when you are on the track and get a huge let down in the torque you were looking for. The additional slot in the "H" pattern makes it much less intuitive selecting the appropriate gear.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:59 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by hfm
Just drove to Rockstore through Mulholand Drive in my Z. I'm keeping her for when I want to row through the gears. Had breakfast, two cups of coffee and reading the forum, noticing your thread, I'm thinking when I do the same thing come January in the GT3 that I'm going to miss that part of the drive.

Dan (probably would have bought a stick if the option existed)
And, here I am, at the Rockstore having broken the GT3 in, able to rev up to 9k and finding myself loving second and third gears through very twisty twisties and finding the car far more capable than I. About to have coffee, Biker Breakfast and I thought of this thread.

It's January.

Dan (doesn't miss that part of the drive )
Old 01-17-2015, 01:31 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

This...

Originally Posted by Conekilr
My choice from day one was going to be PDK-S even if the manual was an option. For me, this was only fitting as this is the "New/Next" generation of GT3s and as such should reflect that with current technology...JMO

Old 01-17-2015, 01:33 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I cannot believe in the name of progress PAG f-ked up the manual in the name of progress. That on top of not offering it on cars where the choice should always be offered. What a shame.

Originally Posted by _BrakeDust_
I totally agree about the 7 speed. My current DD is a 2014 C2S with power kit and 7 speed manual. Thankfully I have never been shooting for 4th and hit 2nd instead. But I have been shooting for 3rd and missed and hit 5th, which sucks when you are on the track and get a huge let down in the torque you were looking for. The additional slot in the "H" pattern makes it much less intuitive selecting the appropriate gear.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:46 PM
rsterank
Rennlist Member

PDK-S all the way. As GT3_racer states why would you want to mess around with a H pattern on the street or the track. I was racing SCCA Prototype 2 (formerly DSR) 10 years ago and we went to great lengths to develop a electronic shifting system using air actuators with electronic throttle blip and it was a sequential GB. The only time I used the clutch was to get going and to stop and didn't miss it one bit.

But for me the amazing sound from those full throttle lightening fast upshifts is priceless.

Originally Posted by GT3_racer
I remain really surprised by the number of people who still want H-pattern manual transmissions. Porsche race cars haven't had a traditional manual in 10 years.

The only way I'd buy a another car with a manual transmission is if it were required by a race sanctioning body or I felt it had tremendous investment potential.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:09 PM
gt2urbo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

would have still bought the pdk-s for where I live.But I hate how this car brought a new buyer to the gt3 game. That being people who actually had a choice between a 991 4s/gts/c2 ect or a gt3. When the gt3 was only a manual the buyer wouldn't even think of a regular 911. They knew exactly what they wanted. I for one wouldn't consider a regular 991. EVER.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:21 PM
GT176
Advanced

Paddles, Hands Down. Haven't missed rowing those gears for one second.
Maybe I'm just getting too old for this M/T s*!t.

There is one tranny I do cringe every time I shift is the r-tronic in my R8 GT. What a total disaster.
What was Audi thinking?
Old 01-17-2015, 06:37 PM
BarryC
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 30 Posts

hands down - pdk-s. Driven all kinds of manuals on street and track and this trans is the bomb!

For street driving, I really like being able to shift into 1st gear turning onto another street and blasting off - can't do that with a manual. I drive in manual mode all the time. Track is going to be ridiculous but I still have fun with the pdk on the street.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:53 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,799 Likes on 2,197 Posts

PDK. Being a lowly amateur, not interested in messing with manual in a car this bleeping fast.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:07 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by gt2urbo
would have still bought the pdk-s for where I live.But I hate how this car brought a new buyer to the gt3 game. That being people who actually had a choice between a 991 4s/gts/c2 ect or a gt3. When the gt3 was only a manual the buyer wouldn't even think of a regular 911. They knew exactly what they wanted. I for one wouldn't consider a regular 991. EVER.
+ 1. Pretty rock solid statement
Old 01-17-2015, 07:09 PM
mlpor
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Compared to PDK, PDK-S:
Shifts more than 60% faster
Does not creep at idle with foot off the brake
Has no ECO mode, stop/start, or coasting mode
Shorter/firmer paddle action
No kickdown or auto upshift at redline in manual mode
More aggressive shift mapping
Launch control available at any time without pressing buttons as in regular PDK equipped cars
Console shifter action reversed; similar to sequential box: IOW pull/upshift push/downshift
Single mass flywheel
More mechanical noise
"Lightening shifts" (Porsches term) create a "whump" from the exhaust that makes your hair stand on end
4 lbs lighter
And last, but not least FWIW from a 981 (& I suspect the regular 991 Carrera box as well) perspective, 70 mph in 7th in a 981 Cayman/Boxster & maybe Carrera is roughly 2,000 rpm; in the 991GT3 70 mph in 7th, the motor will be turning @ 3,000 rpm.

Last edited by mlpor; 01-17-2015 at 07:10 PM. Reason: add subscription to thread

Quick Reply: Knowing What You Know Today, PDK or Manual?