Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dashboard trim in leather

Old 09-20-2014, 10:03 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
I'm still trying to understand the pccb benefit cost issue. If you track, steel is cheaper to maintain and if you do it a lot, you may want to change out to a more rigorous race/steel setup like stop tech. Am I wrong ? That route is cheaper than the stock pccb from the start. Are pccb truly dust free on the wheels ? I can se how that would be of appeal for the non or occasional tracker.
I autocross 12-15 times a year and drive on the street. For me PCCB's work great. I feel there is a small performance advantage for autocross yet wear, especially with the new generation brakes, won't be an issue. I love the initial bite of the PCCB's in everyday use, they never squeal, they look fantastic, and they do NOT dust.

Cost/benefit? LOL. You can't justify spending $9200 on PCCB's any more than you can justify spending $3K on LED lights, or $1800 on leather seatbacks, or heck, $150K on a car to begin with. So it wasn't a money decision, I got what I wanted. Aside from the initial cost, though, with any luck maintenance should be nil and the brakes will be appropriate for how I'll enjoy the car.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:12 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sat in a 991 TT-S that had the extended dash in leather and really liked it but wouldn't spend $1700 on this option. I bet you won't even notice it after a while. If I was to do this again I probably skip it again. Should be more like $700 give or take not $1700.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:22 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Do you think its still worth it with platinum stitching?
Yes.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

PS Might look somewhat like the attached photo!

Attached Images  
Old 09-20-2014, 10:31 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Lodi
Unless you are going for a stripper I think the leather dash has to be a serious consideration. It really completes the look of the dash. I would add the steering column as well since its right in front of you. The platinum stitching will look great. Its bright enough that it pops a bit. Go for it!
As I have posted liberally, I disagree. Let me start with the obligatory "different strokes for different folks", which is obvious. Its your car, you should get what you want. But when I hear people say - "unless its a stripper, you should have full leather and deviated stitching, etc." There is absolutely nothing stripper/wrong about a GT3 with performance options - PCCB, bucket seats, etc. but not the added luxuries of more of the mainline 911s or turbos. A turbo convertible feels to me like a better place for doorsill leather or deviated color stitching or interior LEDs, etc. than the brands homologation GT3 car. Again, just my opinion, but you cant buy this car as a stripper. It comes with leather, hid lights, pdk transmission, and enough software and electronics to go very wrong out of warranty
Old 09-21-2014, 11:47 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Went to dealer again yeaterday.... 2 thoughts: platinum remains a beautiful and special looking FREE option, and the additional alcantara really gives the car a racecar for the road look. It confirmed for me the choice of getting leather interior. There was a turbo s there with leather and black stitching and it barely registered.

The extended dashboard to me, is just not worth the price. I agree that at $700 it would make sense, but not at $1700.. Just doesn't look that special to my eyes. I would spec (and probably will) the sport chrono clock for the $1700 which looks really nice and complements the dash, and skip the extended leather: of course, you can always get both ;-)
Old 09-28-2014, 11:11 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Went to dealer again yeaterday.... 2 thoughts: platinum remains a beautiful and special looking FREE option, and the additional alcantara really gives the car a racecar for the road look. It confirmed for me the choice of getting leather interior. There was a turbo s there with leather and black stitching and it barely registered.

The extended dashboard to me, is just not worth the price. I agree that at $700 it would make sense, but not at $1700.. Just doesn't look that special to my eyes. I would spec (and probably will) the sport chrono clock for the $1700 which looks really nice and complements the dash, and skip the extended leather: of course, you can always get both ;-)
Agreed, extended dash is very pricey for what you get. That said, have you seen the leather steering column in person? I am still wavering on this one. Buckets, full leather are two must haves. Still undecided on brakes.

Platinum is a great free choice. With release of the buckets, red deviated becomes much more attractive to me. I just think red stitch compliments the buckets very well. Or, I go back to PCCBs and platinum stitch.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:20 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,005 Posts

The red stitching just has a pop to it looks nice, and the leather steering column look rather nice. I skipped the extended leather as you can barley tell, and the 1800 clock I would never use. Never used it once in my 991S. Also since I have red gauges no way I was paying 2300. But also get what you like(:
Old 09-28-2014, 11:33 AM
brass4321
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Leads to the question of what is a reasonably optioned gt3... Just for reference, dealer told me that lease allows for up to fully amortized car up to $151k, can't option above that. I've been using that as a reference and trying to keep my build to that target even though I'm not leasing the car. Very tough price target once buckets come into play, especially because carbon backed buckets make you want to add carbon trim to match, which means you've clearly added leather interior already.... ....and if you've added leather interior the steering column is a no brainer and so how can you not get the extended dash... Argh!
I went with the buckets and carbon trim but no leather interior. I don't like the contrast stitching. It just looks too busy for me. I did select other options to give it a little bit more of a look (illuminated sills, light design package, guards red belts, fire extinguisher) and functionality (voice control, Sirius and HD, LED headlights, front axle lift), skipped the PCCB and ended up at $150,145 (or $152,140 including destination and gas guzzler).

Last edited by brass4321; 09-28-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:44 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

I got the leather extended dash and steering column with my red deviated stitching. The 3D configurator does not show that the steering column dash is in red stitching, but dealer confirmed it is in red as well. IMO, the full leather makes the car look more upscale and since I see the inside of the car all the time I wanted it to feel special. Just makes the car look expensive...which it is! Mine is $162K total.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:47 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

I saw the stitched leather steering column on a turbo and it looked great. Something you can see everytime you are behind the wheel and at its sub $500 price, I thought it was worth the added cost.

The extended leather dash didn't do much for me, especially at nearly $1900, so I passed.

I think the price for red stitching is excessive, but I really love red interior accents and was willing to pay for it.

As for leather, it really adds to the interior of the car and should be specced when you are in this price range unless it's a full track car.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:52 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,379 Likes on 718 Posts

My car is for weekend use/stress reliever. Did the extended leather and red stitching and steering column. Carbon fiber what ever I could. I do spend time while driving admiring the interior. I think it looks rich and I am glad I did it. But - every one has there own personal preferences. I opted to go nuts on the inside because I did not go with the PCCBs. If I had gone with the PCCBs; I probably would not have done what I did on the interior
Old 09-28-2014, 01:32 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by brass4321
I went with the buckets and carbon trim but no leather interior. I don't like the contrast stitching. It just looks too busy for me. I did select other options to give it a little bit more of a look (illuminated sills, light design package, guards red belts, fire extinguisher) and functionality (voice control, Sirius and HD, LED headlights, front axle lift), skipped the PCCB and ended up at $150,145 (or $152,140 including destination and gas guzzler).
+1 agree...
At any price point, I feel that all the added leather and deviated stitching makes the interior feel more like an Italian car, not a teutonic German race car. Spec'd mine the same as yours, but kept the PCCB with the Sport Buckets, black wheels, and not much else. Personal choice, of course, and different strokes/different folks. I'm locked. Now just the agony of deciding whether or not to take the car when it gets here at end of December. Or buy a 3.8 RS sooner
Old 09-28-2014, 01:47 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

So you specced a car but aren't decideed on whether to take it?
Old 09-29-2014, 10:57 AM
Nick Yoskin
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rwcsn1
I personally think it's a bit much. To each his own. I like the stripper look, wish I could do pleather though, dont like alcantera all too much
I agree...personally the stitching is going in all directions whereas when it's on the front edge of the dash its a nice straight run of stitching. Either way its all good!
Old 10-01-2014, 02:07 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
+1 agree...
At any price point, I feel that all the added leather and deviated stitching makes the interior feel more like an Italian car, not a teutonic German race car.
That's really the way I look at my 991 GT3. I've wanted a Ferrari 458 for years, but the maintenance costs and lack of usability, just made it so impractical. The 991 GT3 is a performance bargain and usable everyday, but a track beast.
I don't mind making my Teutonic car a bit more Italian in the looks department.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dashboard trim in leather