Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did the Porsche World Road Show today...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 01:26 PM
1198r
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did the Porsche World Road Show today...

Absolutely brilliant day - got to drive:

Cayenne Turbo S
Cayenne GTS
Macan Diesel
Macan Turbo
Panamera long thing Turbo S
Boxster S
Cayman GTS
911 4S
911 Targa
Turbo S
GT3

Mixture of slalom, breaking, wet skid pan, track and off road.

GTS a blast - lovely sound; Turbo S - my goodness quick; BUUUUT the GT3 was just an eye opener - round the track amazing - the only thing that let it down.... the tyres (Michelin Cup 2's) - though to be fair, the tyres let all the cars down.

All the driving instructors asked me what car I drove and as soon as I said RS, it was like they were all singing from a script..... "I know nothing about the new RS (big smile)...."

At the end of the day, I was told, officially press release for car March 2015, but it might be sooner. When I said Paris.... eyes went down.....

Tick tock.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:37 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm going to the PWRS this weekend here in the states. I was under the impression that it was going to only be the Turbo S, Targa 4S and Macan Turbo. I sure hope we get to play with all the toys you did ... I'll post back after my experience this weekend.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:59 PM
A430v
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

US Roadshow a little different. Official cars are supposed to be Macan Turbo, Panamera GTS, Cayman GTS, Boxster GTS and 911 Targa 4S.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:39 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

Just did the event today. Had a lot of fun and if I weren't getting a GT3, Id get a Cayman GTS.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:58 AM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove this at the show today. It was back to back on track with the cayman gts, and 991 turbo s. The gt3 had bucket seats and pccbs.

My ranking 1. GT3 2. Cayman GTS (very close second) 3. Turbo S (they always fail to inpsire me)

At the end I sat in the GT3 with a pro driver from Germany who demonstrated two laps composed almost completely of drifting and sliding sideways. Amazed at the abuse these cars can take in the searing heat.

Is the gt3 better than my 458? Not sure at this point, need much more seat time with the GT3. But it's an amazing car at this price point. If on a budget Cayman GTS is almost as good, but hardcore drivers with a GT3 will leave it behind.

Last edited by aamersa; 12-31-2014 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-21-2014, 04:03 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

The US Roadshow is a little different. It is touring the country in 10 locations. Here is my post from the 991 forum.

"Just back from the roadshow at Summit Point West VA. Outstanding event. The invites from dealers go out about 10 days in advance and this one filled up fast for Sat and Sun, had open slots for Friday.

The show uses Targa 4Cs, Cayman and Boxter GTS for follow the leader (Porsche instructor) on a good section of track, speeds up to over 100 on the straight. The Macan Turbo and Panorama GTS were used in a shorter autocross style run. Then a grand finale of 6 (yes six) 991 Turbo Ss for instructor driven hot lap (with some doing full tilt launch control starts).

For me, the takeaways are: 1) that the Cayman GTS was noticably superior to the Boxter GTS on Summit's highly technical tight short track section and both were every bit as fast as the heavier Targa; 2) the Macan handled far better than any SUV has a right to do; 3) the Panamera GTS has the best sport exhaust sound of any Porsche ever and is absurdly fast in the corners; 4) the Turbo S 4 wheel steering is for real an advance, but the car is too smooth and too quiet for something that covers ground so effortlessly."

PS:
- smile and don't throw up if you get launch controlled: - they have cameras inside and outside and give you a Porsche USB stick with the vid at the end of the ride.
Old 09-21-2014, 04:28 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

How are cayman and boxster different?... Very interesting as I thought consensus was that they were actually quite similar due to boxster's stuff chassis
Old 09-22-2014, 09:33 AM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

I was also at the WV Summit Point race track this last weekend. It was a ton of fun and I have to say that I was throughly blown away by the Cayman GTS. I was really excited by the Targa 4S but was ultimately disappointed. It just felt slow and a bit bloated compared to the Cayman. The Boxster GTS was nice but I didn't really care for it.

Macan Turbo was great but still a useless car/suv IMHO. Panamera is nice as well with a sick exhaust note but not a fan of it either.

We also did hot laps in the Turbo (not the Turbo S as indicated above). The car is stupid fast and my video is quite funny. But the car just doesn't have the emotion that the Cayman GTS or GT3 do.

Just my two cents.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:34 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
How are cayman and boxster different?... Very interesting as I thought consensus was that they were actually quite similar due to boxster's stuff chassis
Probably not a fair comparison as we could only go as fast as the lead driver allowed, and he had to allow for the slowest car in the group of 3 followers, but, (and I type this as a former S RS-60 owner who would deny any difference) the Cayman just felt more responsive on turn in than its soft top brother. Both are VERY sweet on the track with fine balance and power to cornering composure. I can understand why a good driver can go as fast in one of these as in a Carrera S on tight technical track like the one we were on that day.

Fully agree with the comment above about the Turbo.

Quick Reply: Did the Porsche World Road Show today...