Sponsored by:

I'm doing it

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 11:56 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts
Default I'm doing it

After seeing the Getawayer's video review, I decided to trade in my C4S (details in my sig) for a 2015 GT3. Very exciting, now I have to decide on all the details.

Jeff
Old 09-18-2014, 12:09 AM
Strimdog
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 60 Posts

Congrats!!
Old 09-18-2014, 12:16 AM
wwlee
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats!

Last edited by wwlee; 10-18-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:38 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats. Seems like buying GT3's is more contagious than Ebola lately...
Old 09-18-2014, 12:44 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
Congrats. Seems like buying GT3's is more contagious than Ebola lately...
lets not joke about that please... could be a true global disaster killing many thousands of people.

wait a tick... that would mean more gt3's for me... yeay ebola!!!!
Old 09-18-2014, 12:45 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Thanks for all the good words and congrats on your order wwlee.

I have all the dilemmas being bandied around on here

Which seat (I really have to try the race bucket to see if I can fit in it since I'm 6'5" I think I may have a lead on doing that)

Which brakes (I'm tending toward Carbon Fiber since according to my trusted mechanic and race guru Bill Rudtner the only downside is the cost and cost of replacement, on the track they fade less and don't get as hot)

Color - this is a big one since I love black (on my C4S) but realize it's very difficult to keep looking great, especially for a detailing spaz like myself. So I'm tending toward silver with black interior
Old 09-18-2014, 01:26 AM
Dostler
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
Thanks for all the good words and congrats on your order wwlee. I have all the dilemmas being bandied around on here Which seat (I really have to try the race bucket to see if I can fit in it since I'm 6'5" I think I may have a lead on doing that) Which brakes (I'm tending toward Carbon Fiber since according to my trusted mechanic and race guru Bill Rudtner the only downside is the cost and cost of replacement, on the track they fade less and don't get as hot) Color - this is a big one since I love black (on my C4S) but realize it's very difficult to keep looking great, especially for a detailing spaz like myself. So I'm tending toward silver with black interior
Fwiw, I just changed my seat to the 18 way today largely because the seat cushion can be extended. I'm 6' 2" and I think it makes it much more comfortable.

Love the notion of the ceramic brakes, but I'm allergic to $20k brake jobs.

Considering changing from black to grey to be more stealthy. Realizing that a stealthy gt3 is oxymoronic. Likely will stay with black because it looks menacing (if dirty). If you pick lime gold you will be mocked.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:32 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Which seat (I really have to try the race bucket to see if I can fit in it since I'm 6'5" I think I may have a lead on doing that)

Which brakes (I'm tending toward Carbon Fiber since according to my trusted mechanic and race guru Bill Rudtner the only downside is the cost and cost of replacement, on the track they fade less and don't get as hot)

Color - this is a big one since I love black (on my C4S) but realize it's very difficult to keep looking great, especially for a detailing spaz like myself. So I'm tending toward silver with black interior
I'm 6'7" and fit in my 996 GT3 buckets....tight as it may be. I understand the seat pan is a bit wider along with the seat back width for the 991 Buckets. That is added comfort I did not have with the 996 that I am trading in. I'm going for the buckets. Considering the foot well is wider too and no clutch work to worry about, I expect to be much more comfortable in this car.

I'm going steel brakes. I plan to track it occasionally for PCA DE's. Color is a personal choice....agate for me most likely. I put the order in tomorrow.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:55 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
I'm 6'7" and fit in my 996 GT3 buckets....tight as it may be. I understand the seat pan is a bit wider along with the seat back width for the 991 Buckets. That is added comfort I did not have with the 996 that I am trading in. I'm going for the buckets. Considering the foot well is wider too and no clutch work to worry about, I expect to be much more comfortable in this car.

I'm going steel brakes. I plan to track it occasionally for PCA DE's. Color is a personal choice....agate for me most likely. I put the order in tomorrow.
6'7" and buckets - that's bold. I too am 6'7" and had the 14 ways in my previous 991S. Enjoyed them. Sat in the 18 ways for 30 minutes and they seem even better.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:46 AM
wwlee
Instructor

Thank you. I'm still finalizing my build, and FWIW here's my thoughts on the above:

For brakes, I initially wanted to order PCCB but opted out after going through some other threads and reading about nightmare stories on how it can be damaged/chipped when removing wheels (thinking nail puncture at night in the middle of nowhere scenario) and potential for lodged rocks to score the rotors. I drove around a Turbo S and noticed it had a stronger bite than my steel brakes (might not be apples to apples given different sized brakes)...and liked other aspect of it like no brake dust, longevity (100k miles though considerably shorter if tracked), no squeal, lower unsprung mass (which is great on paper, but not something that would affect a driver of my skill level). I ultimately decided it was less stress to go with steel rotors.

Color is all personal preference, so you'll hear different responses from different people. Black requires more work to keep clean, but you obviously did a great job on your C4S . Black looks great on any car, and I thought my next 911 would be black but preferred to have a color that contrasts with the front and rear grills of the GT3. While silver is very low maintenance (have silver on my 997 and light swirls are barely noticeable at certain angles and lighting), it doesn't make a car like the GT3 pop out and might not bring out the lines/curves of the car. At risk of having my car look like everyone else's, I picked white (I like its contrast to the grilles and brake calipers)...but yellow and red are growing on me.

Curious what your conclusion is on seats. My coworker is slightly over 6'6" and claimed that he can't doesn't fit in these cars unless he's hunched over like a turtle. I'm thinking he was sitting in an older generation 911.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:15 AM
jlanka
Drifting

here is how I've specced out currently:
Attached Images  

Last edited by jlanka; 09-20-2014 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:32 AM
Strimdog
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 60 Posts

Since you're going with the carbon fiber interior package I would add carbon fiber door sills. $750 option and really ties the CF look together. IMO.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:54 AM
wwlee
Instructor

Originally Posted by Strimdog
Since you're going with the carbon fiber interior package I would add carbon fiber door sills. $750 option and really ties the CF look together. IMO.
+1 on carbon fiber sills. I believe that the stock plastic sill is highly suspectible to scratches when entering/leaving the car.

Many people advised me to paint the nubs that wash the headlights to exterior color, otherwise it might look awkward in chrome.

For instrument dials, I was also considering ordering white, but saw a post somewhere that white instrument dials on the 991 looks like there are a lot of cutouts. Some reason I cannot attach photos thru my phone but here's a link if you haven't seen yet:

http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...arch.yahoo.com
Old 09-20-2014, 12:57 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

Awesome spec......of course white is the best! I can't believe they still have a 6 disc CD changer, can't remember the last time I bought a physical CD...... 2007 maybe?
Old 09-20-2014, 01:15 PM
jlanka
Drifting

re: Door sills, I'll add those thanks.

re: White instruments, I have them on my C4S and love them.

re: CD changer, agreed. All my music is on sticks these days

Quick Reply: I'm doing it