991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Tint and Clear Bra

Old 09-22-2014, 07:44 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,382 Likes on 719 Posts

^ You make good points. I felt they charged a fair price considering their work was very good. Now- it would of been more if the paint needed ample correction. Since the car was almost new( sat at port for 5 months); it did not need too much correction. They put in under a blue light when I was there ect. Supply-demand is also a factor w/o a doubt. Plus; every one needs to negotiate their own deal. If a detailer is overwhelmed with work, always tough to get a steal because you have to buy his time.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:01 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 698 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
^ You make good points. I felt they charged a fair price considering their work was very good. Now- it would of been more if the paint needed ample correction. Since the car was almost new( sat at port for 5 months); it did not need too much correction. They put in under a blue light when I was there ect. Supply-demand is also a factor w/o a doubt. Plus; every one needs to negotiate their own deal. If a detailer is overwhelmed with work, always tough to get a steal because you have to buy his time.
Very well-put Jimmy. We get clients asking us for a "deal" when they want us to do multiple cars or multiple friends. First, more cars means more on our plate. As with any business, we don't want to turn business away, but we also are not a volume shop; don't need to be when the quality is first priority. Second, we do offer multi-car discount and/or paying by cash discount, but that's it. Oh, if you've been with us for more than 7 years, there's a loyalty discount as well. One thing we have never done at GP, even if it meant walking away from a $10K job, is give a "deal" just to get the deal. I feel that de-values our brand that I've worked so hard to build for the past 20 years, it cheats the marketplace by starting price shopping wars with other shops, and it also disrespects and voids the trust of our current clients that happily pay what we ask and get VALUE for their money. When I put it that way, and the potential client knows everyone gets the same "deal" and we give them an "end-product" that few others offer in the marketplace, their wall comes down and we can start our healthy relationship that will last many years. We have lost some jobs because of that methodology, but I haven't lost my word and the trust of current clients. That's worth more any day!!
Old 09-22-2014, 08:02 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

In other words : be prepared to pay thru your teeth for the same job done on an S2000,just because you own a Porsche and can afford it! Never mind window tinting,every shop has the same " policy ". For example,changing brakes on a Porsche should be no different than on a Chevy : 2 screws pads out,some lube...done. Yet you get charged 3 to 4 times more. It's not even the money,it's the principle.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:10 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by neanicu
In other words : be prepared to pay thru your teeth for the same job done on an S2000,just because you own a Porsche and can afford it!
Not at all, and I apologize if it came off that way. Perhaps, Champagne palate on Beer budget would be better. Cannot speak for other shops, but the only reason we'd ever charge more for the same service, say clear bra on Porsche vs. Ferrari, is because there's more labor involved. For example, we charge about 1.5X more to wrap the bumper of a 458 Spider than a 991 GT3...that's because I'm OCD and we have to remove the bumper on the 458 to get the horse emblem off since I don't want visible lines around the prancing horse...that's time we actually spend to achieve what we feel is perfection and attention to detail. This also allows us to have a seamless transition around the 458 taillights and 3rd brake light. On GT3, we simply remove the letters, pop out taillights that are easily accessed, re-install lights and new emblems, and we're done.

It's like saying, you're forced to wear a Rolex because you're rich. Not at all, you can wear any watch you want that tells time if that's your objective. One CHOOSES to wear a Rolex and pays a price that HE/SHE felt was of VALUE. That's a number you ultimately decide you'll pay.

Hope that clarifies and makes sense
Old 09-22-2014, 08:17 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

No need to apologize. I'm sorry if my post came off as negative and I really have no experience with your work or rates. As you've realized,my post came after your comment with the comparison between different type of owners and it's a more general dissatisfaction of mine when dealing with shops that charge according to brand.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:42 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by neanicu
No need to apologize. I'm sorry if my post came off as negative and I really have no experience with your work or rates. As you've realized,my post came after your comment with the comparison between different type of owners and it's a more general dissatisfaction of mine when dealing with shops that charge according to brand.
No worries. I totally get the "stigma" of service providers in the auto industry and we've all dealt with shady people. I think your brave comment is what some reading this thread were thinking. I appreciate your honesty and sharing your view.

Like I said, we try and be transparent and educate on how WE do things and WHY. When you operate at that level of responsibility, people respect the reasons why. Easy to demand the prices we do, and people gladly pay. But we ultimately have to DELIVER the GENUINE ARTICLE, or both us and the clients look bad. Hence why I practically live here at GP and still oversee EVERYTHING.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:24 PM
mainly
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I had my whole car Cquartzed and the rims done with opti-coat.
opticoat on the rims?

what effect does it have? benefits?

does it come cleaner easier, etc ?

picking up my car tomorrow and haven't made an appointment anywhere yet. not looking forward to it as i always hate dealing with these guys, they never want to wrap edges when i ask and say things like "oh it will just peel off"...[/QUOTE]

Last edited by mainly; 09-22-2014 at 11:47 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:32 PM
mainly
Racer

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
On GT3, we simply remove the letters, pop out taillights that are easily accessed, re-install lights and new emblems, and we're done.
just wondering why would you need to remove tail lights, "letters"(?), emblems, etc?

what job requires that?
Old 09-22-2014, 11:37 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mainly
just wondering why would you need to remove tail lights, "letters"(?), emblems, etc? what job requires that?
That's for a full clear bra, including the rear end.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:39 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,382 Likes on 719 Posts

Well; this was just a subjective decision from the home work I did. Supposedly; the finish on the Cquartz is better. Gives a nice "wet" look and very smooth but has less of a shelf-life; sort to speak, than Opti-coat. But; my detailer recommended that since I only weekend the car, and store it for the Winter, that Cquartz had a better finish, and for what I was looking for, and probably would last more than the 2 years that it is warrantied for. He likes Opti-coat but more for cars that would be DD. So; we both agreed on Opti-coat for the rims which take a bigger beating and because I have the steel brakes may be better suited. Whether right or wrong I think it worked out fine. Regardless; cleaning the car for the first time was a treat. I can handle 1 hour and no more applying wax ect.; plus, I used to pay a guy to come to my home and do that all for me because I hate waxing ect - now I save on that. But, in reality, I paid upfront for the coating. but - every couple of washing they have this "reload" spray that helps seal and boost the Cquartz that you apply, prior to drying that helps the longevity of the Coating.

I am no expert and there are others' on here that can give better and more accurate info.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:49 PM
mainly
Racer

Originally Posted by 0Q991
That's for a full clear bra, including the rear end.
oh, ok. yeah, no need of that. not for me anyway.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:02 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Especially if I were to go with a jet black car, I'll be clearbra'ing the car, and maybe cquartz it. I've read all to the threads on condom wrapping cars, but I can't quite wrap my head around $5-6k (no pun intended).

I'm thinking front of car with xpel and cquartz the whole thing based on what I've read. The guys in Europe seem to have a totally different approach to paint chips and blemishes, they seem to really not care, and at worst, they get the cars re sprayed with seemingly no effect on resale. We are a bit more **** in the US
Old 09-23-2014, 09:48 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Especially if I were to go with a jet black car, I'll be clearbra'ing the car, and maybe cquartz it. I've read all to the threads on condom wrapping cars, but I can't quite wrap my head around $5-6k (no pun intended).

I'm thinking front of car with xpel and cquartz the whole thing based on what I've read. The guys in Europe seem to have a totally different approach to paint chips and blemishes, they seem to really not care, and at worst, they get the cars re sprayed with seemingly no effect on resale. We are a bit more **** in the US
Excellent strategy. I'd say, so far, 80% of what we install is full fronts. Just make sure to get the edges wrapped for long-term durability and a cleaner look
Old 09-23-2014, 09:50 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mainly
just wondering why would you need to remove tail lights, "letters"(?), emblems, etc?

what job requires that?
It's a sickness and I'm OCD When we do full wraps, the entire rear bumper is wrapped in 1 piece of film, then we put new emblems on, and it doesn't look like anything is on the car. A clean and OEM look with much better protection

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Window Tint and Clear Bra