Sponsored by:

Window Tint and Clear Bra

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 04:44 PM
YOCOHO
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Keep it simple...there are many choices and even more opinions.

Your best bet is to find out what YOU want/need and start from there.

From my personal experience:

Clear Bra: What color is your GT3? How OCD are you? Is warranty more important than "look"? How long will you keep GT3?

3M - Good durability, lots of orange peel, a little difficult to remove when you ever need to, a little hassle to deal with when it comes to warranty

XPEL Ultimate - Industry standard, self-healing, great durability, does have some light texture, easy to work with when you need warranty work, make sure to get a great installer, otherwise, stretch marks

Suntek - Excellent clarity, self-healing, "feels" a little thinner than XPEL Ultimate, great to work with for installer, push the film to the limits, comes in handy when trying to do the bumper in 1-piece. Easy to work with when you have warranty claims

Tint - Lots of great choices out there. Definitely go ceramic because you can have a lighter shade and great heat rejection.

3M Crystalline - Amazing heat rejection from a non-ceramic film. Has a brownish-hue to it. Thin, which translates to easily scratched. Not very durable. Also has a slight cloudy look to it when you look at an angle

Huper Optik Ceramic - Nanoceramic film. Excellent heat rejection AND Clarity. Difficult to install by most guys, so seek out someone that does it a lot. Has a "neutral" look...it's charcoal. You can have a light shade, 60, which barely looks "tinted" and get amazing heat rejection. We install this film and it's the only film we use. I've played with several brands, chose this to keep my client's life simple and not overwhelm them with choices. It's been the best nanoceramic film from Germany for almost 20 years.

Protective coatings - Not a MUST, but it's the most cutting-edge technology that replaces waxes and sealants

Nano coating - Newest advancement in our industry that delivers unmatched protection, durability, amazing depth and shine, and self-cleaning abilities.

CQuartz Finest is on the forefront of the nano revolution because it's been around, has a solid network of skilled installers, and the product works. Lots of people jumping on the nano wagon, and some are merely industrial coating that are relabled and can damage the paint. You're safe with CQuartz and it can be applied on paint and clear bra. If it's not your driver, expect 18-24 months of protection with proper maintenance. Make sure whomever does the work does the proper prep work. Paint must be near perfect and extremely clean prior to CQuartz Finest application.

I hope this helps. Products mentioned above are some of the best in the industry. But your installer should be the main selling point. You can have the best material/product, but if the person using or installing it isn't skilled enough to extract the maximum performance from the material, you run into issues you may wish didn't arise. When shopping around, your key concern should be the monkey behind the wheels, and how he/she will perform the work on your GT3. Prices for the same product may vary from shop to shop. Those that are skilled, experienced, and can deliver an end product that is near perfect, will always demand more for their time. Just find the best installer you can afford, and don't hesitate to stop by their facility and check some current projects. We love it when potential clients come over and see "how" we do things. Once they see the sheer amount of skill, labor, and passion involved, they quickly realize where their money goes. All the mentioned services above will most likely be done once (tint/clear bra)...get it right the first time, and all you'll have to worry about is which canyon or track to drive your GT3 on
Hi Moe,
That you for this great overview not to mention it was very informative.
Question why would you use CQuartz Finest on your cars paint and why would you put it on top of the film if you use film?
I'm getting my GT3 in Nov and planning on doing 5-8 track events what would you recommend?
Thank you
Old 09-14-2014, 04:45 PM
YOCOHO
Racer

Originally Posted by YOCOHO
Hi Moe,
That you for this great overview not to mention it was very informative.
Question why would you use CQuartz Finest on your cars paint and why would you put it on top of the film if you use film?
I'm getting my GT3 in Nov and planning on doing 5-8 track events what would you recommend?
Thank you
One other question do you know an installer in Mass or RI that you could recommend?
Thanks again,
Jerry
Old 09-14-2014, 05:57 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Moe - you know your stuff. Great input and if I lived out by you I would certainly be one of your Customers
Old 09-15-2014, 04:51 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Moe - you know your stuff. Great input and if I lived out by you I would certainly be one of your Customers
+1

For better or worse I live in the boonies and have had to settle for second rate installers. None have been exemplary... most have been diabolical!

So my question... if I know the above and do not have access to good installers,
- what should I do...or could do myself?
- what product would you recommend for the amateur?
- could you supply the necessary?

Moe, here's a thought. How about running a weekend class for the enthusiast and for those in areas of the country that do not have access to your services. Somewhere central.... Atlanta, etc.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:15 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

^Haku - Go on line and I bet you can find some good installers in your area. Also, go talk with your Dealer; may be they use some one from outside that is really good. It just takes doing a little home work. Also - there is a Motorcars of ATLANTA DOWN THERE. I ALMOST BOUGHT A LAMBO A YEAR AGO DOWN THERE AND THEY SAID THEY HAD A VERY GOOD INSTALLER WHO CAME ON SITE.

PLUS - MAYBE SOME ONE HERE IN YOUR AREA CAN HELP YOU

Sorry for the capitals- hit it by mistake
Old 09-15-2014, 05:28 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

^Haku - Go on line and I bet you can find some good installers in your area. Also, go talk with your Dealer; may be they use some one from outside that is really good. It just takes doing a little home work. Also - there is a Motorcars of ATLANTA DOWN THERE. I ALMOST BOUGHT A LAMBO A YEAR AGO DOWN THERE AND THEY SAID THEY HAD A VERY GOOD INSTALLER WHO CAME ON SITE.

PLUS - MAYBE SOME ONE HERE IN YOUR AREA CAN HELP YOU

Sorry for the capitals- hit it by mistake
Thank you for the reply Jimmy. No worries about the caps. I'm actually about 85 miles from Nashville and have tried one there. The last installation was average and I don't want to risk using them again. The one the dealer uses in Chattanooga is really not up to it either. Hence Atlanta... I will take your advice and try there.
Maybe I'm being too picky.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:34 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Haku
Thank you for the reply Jimmy. No worries about the caps. I'm actually about 85 miles from Nashville and have tried one there. The last installation was average and I don't want to risk using them again. The one the dealer uses in Chattanooga is really not up to it either. Hence Atlanta... I will take your advice and try there. Maybe I'm being too picky.
haku
Derek at Atlanta Protective Films does pretty nice work. He's actually in Canton so not too far from you. He did the first wrap I had ever had done so I dont have comparative experience but I can say he definitely didnt botch it and was much cheaper than the other quote I got in Huntsville
Old 09-17-2014, 02:13 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 707 Likes on 369 Posts

Thanks Jimmy-D...appreciate the kind words.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:16 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Haku
+1

For better or worse I live in the boonies and have had to settle for second rate installers. None have been exemplary... most have been diabolical!

So my question... if I know the above and do not have access to good installers,
- what should I do...or could do myself?
- what product would you recommend for the amateur?
- could you supply the necessary?

Moe, here's a thought. How about running a weekend class for the enthusiast and for those in areas of the country that do not have access to your services. Somewhere central.... Atlanta, etc.
Got your email, apologies for not getting back to you sooner.

You can in fact get CQuartz Original or UK and apply it. Paint needs to be void of swirls and scratches and be extremely clean.

You'll need a DA polisher, some Menzerna Polishes, and some pads.

If having PPF installed first, you'll want to wash, clay, and machine polish to remove any imperfections. Then apply the PPF, professionally. Then you can do the nano coating yourself. The coating we used, CQuartz Finest, is only available to us Authorized Installers.

Hope this helps

I've received several requests for us to travel to clients and/or put on classes...it's more economical to just ship your cars to us if interested. as for 1-on-1 tutorial, you guys find time/place, and if it makes economic sense for me, I'll be there Love to travel
Old 09-20-2014, 09:40 AM
YOCOHO
Racer

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Got your email, apologies for not getting back to you sooner.

You can in fact get CQuartz Original or UK and apply it. Paint needs to be void of swirls and scratches and be extremely clean.

You'll need a DA polisher, some Menzerna Polishes, and some pads.

If having PPF installed first, you'll want to wash, clay, and machine polish to remove any imperfections. Then apply the PPF, professionally. Then you can do the nano coating yourself. The coating we used, CQuartz Finest, is only available to us Authorized Installers.

Hope this helps

I've received several requests for us to travel to clients and/or put on classes...it's more economical to just ship your cars to us if interested. as for 1-on-1 tutorial, you guys find time/place, and if it makes economic sense for me, I'll be there Love to travel

Moe,
Would you do a full or partial vinyl wrap with CQuartz?
Thanks,
Jerry
Old 09-22-2014, 04:17 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by YOCOHO
Moe,
Would you do a full or partial vinyl wrap with CQuartz?
Thanks,
Jerry
Jerry, are you asking if one should do a full or partial wrap? Or should you apply CQuartz to wrap?

IMHO, if you can budget for it, do a full front wrap with wrapped edges, then nano the whole car...including the film
Old 09-22-2014, 06:23 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

I had my whole car Cquartzed and the rims done with opti-coat. And the Cquartz was applied over the Xpel. This was done over 2 weeks ago. It was professionally done and I even left the website with the pictures of my car being done.

Yesterday I washed my car and was floored. The water bead was like nothing I have ever seen and cleaning the cars was easier, less time consuming, and the car looked fantastic. No need to wax ect. Just a nice rinse, car shampoo, rinse and dry with microfiber towel. Looked like a freshly detailed car again

I am a fan, no affiliation, and worth the money
Old 09-22-2014, 07:04 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

I'm kinda curious how much money we are actually talking about here.. No one seems to know, or want to say ;-)
Old 09-22-2014, 07:10 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

I will say. I payed $800-$850 for the whole enchilada. Took them about 8 hours. Six to seven hours of prep and 1-2 hours for the two coats. Left it over night so it had a chance to cure a little because it was raining in the afternoon and you do not want to get it wet for the first few hours. No washing with any soap for first seven days

I heard on the West Coast they get quite a bit more for this.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:23 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I'm kinda curious how much money we are actually talking about here.. No one seems to know, or want to say ;-)
Varies by installer and what coverage you want. If someone in North Dakota charges X dollars and you live in California, an installer may charge 2X. It's all based on demand, skill of installer, type of coverage/service, and what you ultimately VALUE.

A typical full front installation with wrapped edges and XPEL Ultimate/Suntek Topcoat should be going for $1700-2100 by a skilled and seasoned installer at top of his/her game. Full wraps should be north of $5-6K if done properly. I hear guys saying they got the whole car wrapped for $3K...and it may be fine if you're standing 10ft away, but if you look close, you'll know exactly why someone else paid 2-3X that.

Nano coating, once again, if done properly are usually $500-1200 on top of your detail assuming the paint is in pristine shape.

Hope this helps give a "ball park" of what these services run.

As always, get multiple quotes, see the installer's work at their shop by paying them a surprise visit, and if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Lots of guys that are slow, starting out, or not skilled enough will get their hands on the "name brands" but there's a reason why they charge less. You can want a sports car, but not everyone can afford a Porsche. There's a reason people buy and pay premiums for Porsches...same goes for any other service IMHO. Don't expect to get a 991 GT3 ownership experience with a Honda S2000 budget. No offense to Honda S2000 owners...they're amazing cars on the street and track and I have a lot of respect for them. But to me, they're no 911

As an educated consumer, I would want to see WHAT the price entails, not what the price IS. VALUE should far surpass COST at this caliber of car ownership.

Quick Reply: Window Tint and Clear Bra