You just described the Ferrari dealership model, shhh
Old 09-03-2014, 11:44 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,724 Likes on 4,759 Posts

Originally Posted by az audi
Another Scenario:

A dealer sells their first one or two high demand cars to their picker customer who buy them at MSRP and then trade them in without ever taking them off the lot for the same price. The dealer then marks the cars up above MSRP and resales them. Does this put them on the "bad list"? Then, how does your opinion change if the dealer continues to claim they never sell above MSRP?

A discussion I got into with a friend of mine in Denver this past week. He thinks this happens a lot.
I honestly don't think about it that much, if at all.

I've never wanted a car that badly. It's a car, and in this case a toy.

If I can't buy the car at a price I'm comfortable with, then I find another car to buy. Or just don't buy any car.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:14 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,382 Likes on 719 Posts

^^^You are correct. I heard some of the 918 guys were flipping back after taking a $5000 profit from the Dealer so the dealer could mark up and sell w/o getting themselves in to trouble with PCNA. If it is used it is free game.- Still a little shady but ipse dixit hit it on the mark.

But - I do think it is fun to point out the repeaters and abusers. I would not go to those dealerships. Integrity is very important to me. I do not ever lie to people. I am so candid some times it scares people and some times they think - no way that is true. Some times the truth is more painful to the other person than the lie. But we all have to sleep good at night so to each there own.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:40 AM
jcoles
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pacific Porsche has treated me right. I got on their list two months ago when they were told more allocations were coming their way but didn't know when. I got the "you're in luck" call two weeks ago and couldn't be happaier with their communication and honestly. They made me an appointment at Porsche Exclusive in Beverly Hills for my build and charged me MSRP.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:57 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Another Scenario:

A dealer sells their first one or two high demand cars to their picker customer who buy them at MSRP and then trade them in without ever taking them off the lot for the same price. The dealer then marks the cars up above MSRP and resales them. Does this put them on the "bad list"? Then, how does your opinion change if the dealer continues to claim they never sell above MSRP?

A discussion I got into with a friend of mine in Denver this past week. He thinks this happens a lot.
Indeed. This does happen a lot. Dealerships have been know snag extra GT3 allocations by piggy backing off of a 918 order, even though the 918 buyer doesn't want a GT3. They 'buy back' the car and then resell above msrp.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:07 AM
Bford100
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

Best:

Circle Porsche Long Beach

Purchase history:

2011 997 GT3
2012 997 Turbo S
2013 Boxster M/T
2014 991 C4S M/T
2014 991 GT3

Worst:

Porsche of Newport Beach

Purchase history:

(and I live in N.B.)
Old 09-04-2014, 12:44 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Another Scenario:

The key issue would be whether this is a "sham" customer or a real customer who is speculating. If it's a real customer who is speculating, then I don't see a problem legally or even ethically. But if it is a sham customer, that's another story... Legally I don't know if that's an issue. But ethically, it is IMO.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:51 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
^^^You are correct. I heard some of the 918 guys were flipping back after taking a $5000 profit from the Dealer so the dealer could mark up and sell w/o getting themselves in to trouble with PCNA. If it is used it is free game.- Still a little shady but ipse dixit hit it on the mark.

But - I do think it is fun to point out the repeaters and abusers. I would not go to those dealerships. Integrity is very important to me. I do not ever lie to people. I am so candid some times it scares people and some times they think - no way that is true. Some times the truth is more painful to the other person than the lie. But we all have to sleep good at night so to each there own.
Re the "918 guys" I was told I had to hold the GT3 six months before selling it. I don't know if that's true. But, I think it would be a big mistake to put up $150+K on a car that is temporarily undersupplied, and expect to make a profit six months after I get it (six months + 2 months until mine arrives = 8 months).

I'm just going to drive mine and hope that it holds its value reasonably well. Then sell it when I can take delivery of an RS. I don't expect to make a profit. I just want to have fun with the car.

P.S. On the RS, I guess it might be more likely a profit could be made if I flipped it? I'm not sure. But after getting my *** handed to me selling the RS4.0 too early in order to help fund restoration on three classic cars -- which the restorer, who was a friend, then hosed me on -- I'm not in the mood for speculating on cars right now.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:44 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3_racer

P.S. On the RS, I guess it might be more likely a profit could be made if I flipped it? I'm not sure. But after getting my *** handed to me selling the RS4.0 too early in order to help fund restoration on three classic cars -- which the restorer, who was a friend, then hosed me on -- I'm not in the mood for speculating on cars right now.
I have a friend that buys every limited allocation Porsche and Ferrari and flips them after owning them for 6 to 12 months.

The RS4.0 was the best money he's ever made on a car and he actually owned and sold multiple of them. He could have made a lot more holding them for longer, but I think the 4.0 is a very tough benchmark.

I just buy cars for the enjoyment, i go into expecting to lose money...

My GT3 I spec'd to $164k, but it's the build I want and i'll only keep it until my RS arrives...I suspect I'll lose $20 to $30k.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:22 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3_racer
Re the "918 guys" I was told I had to hold the GT3 six months before selling it. I don't know if that's true. But, I think it would be a big mistake to put up $150+K on a car that is temporarily undersupplied, and expect to make a profit six months after I get it (six months + 2 months until mine arrives = 8 months).

I'm just going to drive mine and hope that it holds its value reasonably well. Then sell it when I can take delivery of an RS. I don't expect to make a profit. I just want to have fun with the car.

Everyone gets hosed on restorations.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:42 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cingulus
On another thread Jimmy-D suggested we start a list of the dealers that are "good." For me this meant:

1. They told me the straight story
2. They provided refundable deposits
3. They charged MSRP

I have two dealers on the good list:

Newport Porsche in Newport Beach (I let me first allocation go for personal timing issues)

Circle Porsche in Long Beach Ca. (My current allocation)

On my bad list would be

Porsche Beverly Hills asking $15K over MSRP
Really about Beverly Hills, they were willing to MSRP the GT3 for me and that was like a month ago. I guess it's just who you talk to or what salesperson you get. Although I don't know if a Salesperson has the authority to charge that much more over MSRP. I was talking directly to the Sales Manager - but you never know it could be one price one moment but when you go to sign the papers **** happens all the time. My uncle experienced that several times with dealerships in LA County. He drove down to LA from Bakersfield two different times and the prices magically changed both times. He ended up getting the Yukon he wanted from the Dealership in Bakersfield and they even went as far as trading with a dealer up north to get the Color and options he wanted. Even payed less than MSRP. Dude come on you live in Bakersfield where every other car is a Full Sized Pickup or SUV.

My Aunt and Uncle almost bought an 911 from Circle Porsche back in the later 70's, in Long Beach - they lived in Cerritos at the time, and they were dicked around so much they just went to Cerritos Auto Square and bought a Yellow Corvette. Talking about underpowered automatic California Vette with all the emissions crap added on.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:00 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rusnak in Pasadena, California was very fair and upfront with me. When I first went there in in February (right before the engine debacle!), they told me their 2014 list was filled but that I could get on the 2015 list at MSRP for a $5,000 totally refundable deposit--which I did. When I periodically called, they let me know what the status of things were, and told me what number I was on the list. Last week they called with my allocation for an October build, and we're off and running! I didn't seek to delay the build to get the sports seats, since I didn't want them.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:01 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

For anyone interested Pacific has another white car on the floor. It has the PCCB brakes, black wheels, and a few other items. MSRP is $157. They want $20k over that. Pacific.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:48 AM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

+1 for Sonnen

And +911 for Brett Payne, from Sonnen, who is a Rennlist sponsor.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:34 AM
YOCOHO
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by cingulus
On another thread Jimmy-D suggested we start a list of the dealers that are "good." For me this meant:

1. They told me the straight story
2. They provided refundable deposits
3. They charged MSRP

I have two dealers on the good list:

Newport Porsche in Newport Beach (I let me first allocation go for personal timing issues)

Circle Porsche in Long Beach Ca. (My current allocation)

On my bad list would be

Porsche Beverly Hills asking $15K over MSRP

Good List:
Porsche of Westwood in Ma. Mike Lookner Sales Mgr.
Mike has taken great care of me during this unfortunate disaster.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Good Dealer List