Sponsored by:

Radar, Etc

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 11:30 PM
prestonr2010
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Radar, Etc

Question, had a K-40 in my past car, quite a nice setup done by the previous owner at the dealer Roslyn Porsche. Always got my attention in situations that were at hand but also in general intrusive in many ways.

i have also been using a V1 as well for many years, shuttling between various cars I'm driving. This detector has always seemed to be very accurate and reliable.

I have been using the V1 in my new GT3, making use of the lighter outlet in the glove box. I kept it open, which was not ideal, until realizing tonight I could actually shut it and the cord would be OK (Duh).

Never had radar jamming features in any car I'v owned. Driving my M3 today took a radar hit with warning from V1 on the Mass Pike and reacted, not stopped but there was traffic so Mr enforcer might have been confused as to who was the faster of the group?

I may continue with a V1 but interested in experiences on other built-in options people have used. I feel a bit nervous about leaving the car for a hard wire at a independent shop - seems like opening the potential for warranty headaches etc. aside from tech boy going for a joy ride.......

Thanks for advice on this - I'm near Boston.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:58 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

^ Is radar jamming illegal in MA??. If it is just have your V1 hardwired in so you do not have to leave the glove box open or just extend the cord to under the glove box where there in another outlet.

Also - does your Dealer do installs?. If they do work with them. My dealer does and it is a good piece of mind having them do it since they know they know the car pretty darn well. If I was going to do a full install I would have them do it plus I have seen their work. A simple hardwire is very easy and does not require much - I am sure they do this
Old 09-03-2014, 01:26 AM
Tosilog
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Who is your dealer?
Old 09-03-2014, 07:46 AM
prestonr2010
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Herb Chambers Burlington, I inquired with sales and was told they do not do installs. I think they must have at some point as K-40 lists them as a dealer. Will pose the same question to the service manager today. I don't know the answer regarding jamming, I'm guessing it might not be popular with the authorities! Will check that too before going that direction (and does it work? Some of the available data looks a bit sketchy on companies websites I have reviewed).
Old 09-03-2014, 08:37 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

It's a bit of a hike, to Westcheter NY, but if you can make the logistics work, I highly recommend the guys at AI Design (aidesign.com). Take a look at their website, it's a complete beSpoke service including custom 3D printing of how you want to mount it.

No affiliation, just a very happy customer.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:41 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

There is no Radar Jamming... Radar you typically have 2-4 seconds to slow (depends on the distance from the radar gun to you). So there is time... However Laser is instant, but they have to aim it like a gun which means they are stopped and picking cars one at a time. I have a Passport 9500ci It's built in and has the laser shifter. I would be in the clink if I didn't have it. You cannot escape Laser UNLESS you have a laser shifter (Scrambler). When you are getting shot w/ laser it is instant. and rarely is there deflection from other cars which could cause a warning signal which is why you have to scramble it long enough to slow down then disarm the scrambler.

Not cheap $2k+ but stealth and it works, I promise you.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:30 AM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
^ Is radar jamming illegal in MA??. If it is just have your V1 hardwired in so you do not have to leave the glove box open or just extend the cord to under the glove box where there in another outlet.

Also - does your Dealer do installs?. If they do work with them. My dealer does and it is a good piece of mind having them do it since they know they know the car pretty darn well. If I was going to do a full install I would have them do it plus I have seen their work. A simple hardwire is very easy and does not require much - I am sure they do this

Radar jamming is 100% ILLEGAL in all 50 states (FCC)
Laser Jamming is ILLEGAL only in theses states California, Colorado, Illinois, Minnesota, Nebraska, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and Washington D.C.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:18 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
Radar jamming is 100% ILLEGAL in all 50 states (FCC)
Laser Jamming is ILLEGAL only in theses states California, Colorado, Illinois, Minnesota, Nebraska, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and Washington D.C.
Laser jammers illegal to use, not to install, in TX. A misdemeanor.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:36 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Laser jammers illegal to use, not to install, in TX. A misdemeanor.
Interesting law
Old 09-03-2014, 08:45 PM
mdkim
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 007DT
There is no Radar Jamming... Radar you typically have 2-4 seconds to slow (depends on the distance from the radar gun to you). So there is time... However Laser is instant, but they have to aim it like a gun which means they are stopped and picking cars one at a time. I have a Passport 9500ci It's built in and has the laser shifter. I would be in the clink if I didn't have it. You cannot escape Laser UNLESS you have a laser shifter (Scrambler). When you are getting shot w/ laser it is instant. and rarely is there deflection from other cars which could cause a warning signal which is why you have to scramble it long enough to slow down then disarm the scrambler.

Not cheap $2k+ but stealth and it works, I promise you.
Would you mind showing your installation of the shifters/jammers? The ones I've seen are relatively noticeable and I'm wondering if there's a way to "hide" them under the mesh/grill of the front intakes without affecting their function.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:13 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Originally Posted by mdkim
Would you mind showing your installation of the shifters/jammers? The ones I've seen are relatively noticeable and I'm wondering if there's a way to "hide" them under the mesh/grill of the front intakes without affecting their function.
While you didn't ask me the question, based on my research your best bet is an STiR+ system with Blinder HP-905 laser heads. That's what I have on my current car and will have the same again on my GT3 when it arrives. It's not cheap at around $3,500 for a full install, but it's very discreet as the heads are only 2" wide and 0.5" high. It's easy to hide by mounting behind mesh with a small cut to the mesh.

I have the laser heads hidden in my splitter on my current car as I had the GT3 on order when they did the install, so didn't want them to cut anything. You can't see it unless you're looking for it with your head at splitter level.

I also have 2 different switches - 1 for the blinder heads and 1 for the detector. If I get hit, I can slow my speed and turn off the blinder heads, give them a legal reading and avoid being pulled over in states where that matters.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:28 PM
mdkim
Racer

Originally Posted by NateOZ
While you didn't ask me the question, based on my research your best bet is an STiR+ system with Blinder HP-905 laser heads. That's what I have on my current car and will have the same again on my GT3 when it arrives. It's not cheap at around $3,500 for a full install, but it's very discreet as the heads are only 2" wide and 0.5" high. It's easy to hide by mounting behind mesh with a small cut to the mesh.

I have the laser heads hidden in my splitter on my current car as I had the GT3 on order when they did the install, so didn't want them to cut anything. You can't see it unless you're looking for it with your head at splitter level.

I also have 2 different switches - 1 for the blinder heads and 1 for the detector. If I get hit, I can slow my speed and turn off the blinder heads, give them a legal reading and avoid being pulled over in states where that matters.
Thanks for the info. I'll check out the STiR system. Looking forward to viewing your setup once your GT3 arrives.

I've read on some units you can set it to automatically shut off "X" seconds after the laser shift. Hoping that's the case .
Old 09-03-2014, 09:43 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Actually, if you go to the aidesign website, they have a picture of a GT3 they did with V1 + blinder heads. They might be more visible than what you're after, but gives you an idea of what they look like

Link: http://aidesign.com/our-work/recent-...orsche-991-gt3
Old 09-03-2014, 09:49 PM
mdkim
Racer

Thanks. That definitely helps. Those shifters are definitely smaller than the ones I'm used to seeing. Clean install. I hope there's a way to tuck them behind the mesh without cutting.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:51 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mdkim
Remember that laser shifters/jammers must have an unobstructed field of view to function optimally. Think what happens when you put a screen or grille in front of your eyes--your vision is compromised and that's what happens with laser.

Quick Reply: Radar, Etc