Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Devil's advocate - what is not so good?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 12:32 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts
Default Devil's advocate - what is not so good?

Okay- Now that I got every ones’ attention I felt it was time to post some of my impressions. But, rather than sound repetitive, I am going to play Devil’s Advocate and look at where they could of done better. Now, I am splitting hairs here, and there is really not a whole lot you can say bad about this car but there is not a whole lot more I can say good that has not been conveyed so far. Keep in mind that I may have to repeat some of the good to draw out some of the not so good(bad really not a word I can associate with anything from this car)- bad choice of words on my part. Just a little history; I have owned a Caymans S, 997.2 Turbo, Audi R8 V10. Have driven Vettes, Vipers and Lambos. Have yet to drive a Ferrari

-Exterior- One can argue that although it looks really good with its low stance; I think that it does force one to be very careful driving it. It is low and one has to be mindful of that. If Ferrari can make a car that does not require a lift with equal to better Performance – why not the GT3??. Also – it can be a little tough on entry while seating but once your butt is planted it is very comfortable and fitting. Other than that; love the exterior and it does not look like the C2S.

-Wing – I have heard many complaints that it really obstructs their rear view. It is not a problem for me and no need for a rear camera. May be my expectations were so low that I was pleasantly surprised and happy with what I found. But – best looking wing on the market and it looks like it belongs

LEDs – I love the double tube and the DRLs(4 dots) but other than that they do not offer any better lighting while night driving. Cannot see how anyone would be able to tell

Chassis/suspension – I have no problems here. It is firm(but not too firm) and very adequate for daily driving. I think Porsche nailed it and certainly opened their audience for this model

Steering – Still need more time here before I comment. Not disappointed by any means but 300 miles is not enough and this is a very important area to cover.

Transmission/PDK-S – Interesting topic. I wonder if they built the engine around PDK-S or vice versa. They have set a new benchmark with this. A major accomplishment. A dual clutch Automatic that acts like a Manual. Who would of ever of thought???. I am a Manual guy but this is really that good. Keeps me engaged which is not easy to do w/o a third peddle.

Engine – Pretty amazing but could it have more torque? – I think so. But I can argue for and against it. More torque would be ideal but would you lose the “Jekyll & Hyde” aspect of this car. It really is a quite a daily cruiser below 4500 rpms but when you get on it it turns in to a different car. The “Jekyll” comes out and the car also hunkers down. It seriously has a dual personality. My R8 V10 was a good DD but did not have a split personality. But- you can argue that this is not what is good dependent on what you want.- It can be boring but if you want to wake up the sleeping monster it will accommodate.

Exhaust – I have heard many Ferraris and it does not sound as good as say a 458. But maybe comparing the two is sort of unfair. Now- I would never want my Porsche to sound Italian and like a Ferrari. I want my Porsche to sound German( like the air cooled days of the past). But – I have the SW bypass and love the menacing exhaust above 6000 rpms. Car sounds great but in a menacing(Hide your children) kind of way. But it is not a pretty and melodious note – do not be mistaken

Interior - very comfortable and I think overall site is very good. Now- I think there could be more options available to dress her to your liking. Other car Mfg., like say Lamborghini, lets you go a little more crazier on the interior. I wish Porsche offered that option. Quilted leather seats, Carbon paddles shifters ect. But – in the end- I do not think this is what Porsche wants this car to turn in to. I think they offer a small menu and try to keep it racing-like heritage on the interior. But it is worth mentioning

Radio – I have the sound package plus and it is okay. Do I wish they offered a Burmeister? – sure – But the engine really dominates the experience so I can live with what I got

****So far; I am very impressed with this car. It puts a smile on my face on start up. It makes you feel like a little kid all over again. Let’s face it; I hate to say for ~$150,000 it is a bargain but it really is. It is KEEPER for me and I always wanted a white GT3 and it has exceeded all expectations
Old 09-02-2014, 12:40 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Jimmy, excellent review. It touches many of the issues I have experienced. As you say in your summary, the 991GT3 is the best bargain on the market today.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:52 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Great review, Jim.

The fact that I need to really examine closely in order to find fault is testament to how great this car is and how happy I am with it.

As ridiculous as it sounds, since I still have another tank of gas before I start to get a flavor for what the car is really like, my complaint is a ridiculous minor one--but one that I notice each time I drive it. I wish they just input the few lines of code to make the passenger mirror tilt downward when in reverse. That's not asking for too much is it? Rear visibility is horrible, as should be expected. No camera or rear sensors available as an option--blame weight?! Okay, fine. But how much would a few lines of code weigh???

That insanely minor gripe aside, I fully agree--for new cars, there is nothing this side of $300k that I would even remotely consider. That's my personal opinion.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:53 PM
need a 993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write-up Jimmy.
Interesting to hear that the ride is supple enough to use as a DD.

Would like to know your thoughts on the brakes though. Did you go ceramic or steel? Any regrets?
Old 09-02-2014, 12:59 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Have steel. Phenomenal like all Porsche brakes. I have owned (2) with Steel and they are always more brake than the car needs. So I have to assume the PCCBs are also great.

But - they squeal quite a but. I even had the issue with my R8. It can be a little embarrassing while braking at a stop light. In time this usually passes. The head mechanic and my dealer said to ride the brakes a little on the HWY to glaze them over a little bit - what ever that means
Old 09-02-2014, 01:05 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Typically you should do several hard stops with new brakes. I don't think riding them on the highway will properly do it.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:17 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Just curious,if you had to guess,do you see yourself owning this car long term(10 years) or most likely short term(2-3 years)?
Old 09-02-2014, 01:18 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for the insights Jimmy.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:24 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for a nice review. I have two comments to add:
1-Wing. If one is to never drive on track, then adjusting it for less downforce will flatten it and is likely to improve rear visibility. My understanding is that it comes in the mid position from the factory, which has a degree of forward tilt already.
2-Bermister. If I remember later tonight, I'll take pics of the amp in my Panamer's trunk under the matt. That think is huuuuge and the speakers are likely huge as well. I would not be surprised it if is a 100+ lb penalty of what you have now.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:33 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

^^Well. Good question. I have not owned any one of my toys beyond 3 years. My 997.2 Turbo lasted the longest( 3 years) and I think this car will be at least 4 years and possibly sell it when it has (1) year left on the warranty. We will see. Things have been working out pretty good for me on the business-side of life so I will see in a couple of years if any thing else peaks my interest. But - Porsches are timeless and if most things going towards FI then this car could be a Keeper.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:44 PM
alaint101
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Great comments. Thanks Jimmy

One aspect that could be improved, interestingly enough, is pedal placement. They seem to have kept the 'great' 3-pedal placement w/ the 2-pedal set-up.

It's fine until you need to left brake. At that point, you find way too much travel from foot rest and you are awkwardly twisted to the right.

BMW seems to have done a better job of adjusting the 2-pedal set-up, IMO.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:53 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

I would buy from you used in a heartbeat Jimmy! Not this car because I could've had it new,but from your posts,it does sound like you keep your cars mint.
Enjoy!
Old 09-02-2014, 01:54 PM
Dude-
Pro

Thanks Jimmy, awesome write up.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:55 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Enjoyed your comments, Jimmy.

The interior of the 991 GT3 at any kind of highway speed is a horrible environment for audio, given all of the ambient noise. The advantages of the Burmester would be completely wasted; spending $5K on it would have been flushing money down the loo.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:23 PM
Dude-
Pro

Jimmy, in regards to the SW bypass. I have one but have not installed it yet. From your experience, is it very loud (obnoxiously loud?) or beautifully loud. Im quite happy with the tone of the high revs and feel the 0K-5K needs a little more kick. From what I understand, the SW gives the sound kick from 4-9K. In a perfect world, I would ask for a stronger sound low to mid and more emphasis on the snap crackle and pop on the shifts and downshifts.

Quick Reply: Devil's advocate - what is not so good?