Sponsored by:

Track prep DIY

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 07:54 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

A question for the San Diego Rennlisters:

Anyone have experience with HG Motorsports for roll cage/sport bucket install or any other track prep work?
Old 09-23-2014, 08:14 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Spartan. Your help on the rear shims very much appreciated.

regards the studs we are talking converting CL to 5 stud right? Was it an expensive and/or difficult exercise? Any pictures of the finished product?
No no brake caliper studs. Since you have to remove the caliper to change pads you want to have studs to make it as quick and painless as possible just like the cup cars. Without studs your aluminum uprights will get tired from putting in a new bolt all the time and there is risk of damaging the threads. With caliper studs you can rip the nuts off with an impact, pull off caliper and put caliper back on with ease. You don't have to line up the caliper bolts either which can be a pain.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:17 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Spartan. Your help on the rear shims very much appreciated.

regards the studs we are talking converting CL to 5 stud right? Was it an expensive and/or difficult exercise? Any pictures of the finished product?
I think he's talking about studs in the upright/wheel carrier for holding the brake caliper. Using those is easier than the bolts that may be for one use only and can strip the aluminum threads of the upright.
Attached Images  
Old 09-23-2014, 10:30 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartan
Here is the parts list for the 991 cup rear camber shims. Item number 3
Just for my learning (as I'm no track rat), I noticed there are several numbers listed (99133154380, ...1, ...2, ...3, ...4) for these shims, and I'm assuming there are different thicknesses. Does one order all available sizes to mix and match as needed? Or do the different numbers signify something else? Thanks!
Old 09-27-2014, 12:54 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Spartan/Paver - thanks for the clariffication (I was pretty certain I was on the wrong track re CL vs 5 stud!).

I got these shim part numbers with the size description from my Porsche parts guy on Friday. the last three part numbers are supposedly the shims for the front suspesnion (aka 997 GT3/996GT3 psrts).

I have been told as a general guide 10mm of shims = -1.0 degree camber. The factorty top mounts allow the camber to go roughly -2.0 front and rear so to achieve -2.5 degrees I would assume youd need around 5mm shims for teh front and probably 6-7mm for the rear (to be safe as theres just under -2.0 in the factory set up there).

I think by using the shims you also change the caster and the 991 GT3 is sensitive to this at the front as there isnt alot of room in the wheel well. The factory I believe specify 9.30 and this is probably where you want to try and keep it so as you use shims it might be an idea to use a lower control arm adjustable insert like Elephant Racing make to adjust for the altered castor?
Attached Images   
Old 09-27-2014, 12:58 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

No no brake caliper studs. Since you have to remove the caliper to change pads you want to have studs to make it as quick and painless as possible just like the cup cars. Without studs your aluminum uprights will get tired from putting in a new bolt all the time and there is risk of damaging the threads. With caliper studs you can rip the nuts off with an impact, pull off caliper and put caliper back on with ease. You don't have to line up the caliper bolts either which can be a pain.
yes, that's why i do with 7 gt.
though i need a small impact to get the nuts out. now only manual ratchets.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:44 PM
speeddistrict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GREAT THREAD.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:57 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 422 Likes on 250 Posts

Thanks! Trimming suspension bolts on Porsches nothing new. Teams had to trim that exact bolt on the 2012 RSR's That RSR is where the 991 rear uprights came from to fyi
Thank you

Last edited by fxz; 05-01-2015 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:17 PM
Bartron
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seats

Spartan, is that the Pole Position seat or a different model?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Track prep DIY