Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on sports exhaust

Old 08-28-2014, 06:45 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Thoughts on sports exhaust

Am I the only one slightly annoyed by the fact the valves open at 3,500 to 4,000 rpm? It sounds like the car has been bogging down before that point, which it hasn't.

I'm a Cat B so never had the car before the engine swap. Did I hear others say that the exhaust change is now more marked than pre-swap, or is it just at lower revs?

I know there's a hack to keep the valves permanently open. I did this on my 997 C2S but haven't yet on the GT3 as I like the ability to turn it off when coming home late at night.

Also, I can hear the exhaust note change when I turn on Sport, even at idle. So does the button still work in some capacity even if I were to hack the valves open?

Thoughts greatly appreciated.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:46 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Read the " Mesh " thread,plenty of info there about what you're asking.
Basically,if you put the PSE On at idle the valves will open so it is louder. Start driving and they close up to 3K RPM even though your PSE button is On. After 3K RPM they open again. We believe Porsche design it this way to maintain some back pressure in lower RPMs.
If you cap them they'll stay open at all times.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:41 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

^^^^ Ill be doing the same as soon as I am in the same country as mine again (8 days time!)..
Old 08-28-2014, 08:52 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I felt the same way, hated how it sounded low in the RPM range. Either unplugging the harness or capping the vacuum lines fixes this issue but it makes the PSE useless. I agree it is not too loud when you are driving slow at low RPMs so it is not likely the neighbors would be bothered. I believe Porsche has it this way for certain noise regulations more than anything else. The Panamera GTS, does not behave that way and when the PSE is on, it's on from idle but the exhaust note in that car is perhaps 1/3 to 1/2 as loud as the GT3.
Here is a video, with a few seconds of idle here and there. I have after market headers and SW bypass. Password: Exhaust.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:20 AM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Sam,
I like the Nurburgring decal!
Old 08-28-2014, 09:30 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by GTEE3
Sam,
I like the Nurburgring decal!
Old 08-28-2014, 10:58 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Thanks all - very useful. I read a thread somewhere about disconnecting hoses but unplugging the electrical connection sounds easier. How do I do that?
Old 08-28-2014, 11:57 AM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Graville
Thanks all - very useful. I read a thread somewhere about disconnecting hoses but unplugging the electrical connection sounds easier. How do I do that?
I would love to know that as well.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:08 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

My vette has an aftermarket programmable exhaust valve bypass switch that is incorporated into your home link garage door opener button on the visor and you can control at what RPM's the valves open, open it manually or leave it closed for neighborhood driving (and some tracks with noise level restrictions)....I wish someone (aftermarket vendors) would come up with a switch like this for the PSE.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:55 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
Read into this thread I stared about my new 991. it turned into this exact discussion cause I did the mod and theres info in there that will help you get it done.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...991-gt3-3.html
Thanks for that. I did the electrical disconnect on my 997 and I know that worked pretty well. I'm not sure how to do it on the GT3 though. I see you have a couple of pics on that thread but not sure which part of the car they are actually from! Can you get in there from the hood? Or do you need it on a ramp?

And worried about the error code. Don't want it invalidating the warranty. They couldn't tell with the 997 but I once took it in to the shop forgetting to put the connector back in and they weren't happy about it!
Old 08-28-2014, 01:02 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have mine permanently open via unplugging the electrical connect for them.
I also have the sharkwerks bypass.
I love the sound and I don't think its too loud unless im approaching the stratosphere of the RPM range.
the generic opening of the flaps just killed me, I couldn't take it.
this is the 3rd gt3 I did this to and wouldn't have it any other way but of course to each thier own, its not for everyone

So by "unplugging"..it stays open all the time. Does it throw any codes?? Do you have a pic?? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:24 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
So by "unplugging"..it stays open all the time. Does it throw any codes?? Do you have a pic?? Thanks in advance.
It does not throw any codes, however, it does lessen to the torque produced. At least this was the case with the 997 gt3s.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:06 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

it actually does throw a code but no engine light or anything. if they plug in at the dealership they can tell. no issues doing it though

I had my dealership unplug mine for me while installing the bypass

the mechanic was all butt hurt about me doing it but not from a warranty perspective, he was just in disbelief that I could be so sure this is what I wanted before I ever even drove it, I was also half his age and I think that bothered him. regardless its easy and one plug, no lift needed. you do have to open up your engine area which is a pain.
Do you mean open the hood and then take more stuff out?
Old 08-28-2014, 02:12 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

it actually does throw a code but no engine light or anything. if they plug in at the dealership they can tell. no issues doing it though

I had my dealership unplug mine for me while installing the bypass

the mechanic was all butt hurt about me doing it but not from a warranty perspective, he was just in disbelief that I could be so sure this is what I wanted before I ever even drove it, I was also half his age and I think that bothered him. regardless its easy and one plug, no lift needed. you do have to open up your engine area which is a pain.
Originally Posted by Paul Graville
Do you mean open the hood and then take more stuff out?
I am interested in this as well. Is it just removing the CF cover or more involved?
Old 08-28-2014, 02:18 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Read the " Mesh " thread,plenty of info there about what you're asking.
Basically,if you put the PSE On at idle the valves will open so it is louder. Start driving and they close up to 3K RPM even though your PSE button is On. After 3K RPM they open again. We believe Porsche design it this way to maintain some back pressure in lower RPMs.
If you cap them they'll stay open at all times.
I didn't read through teh mesh thread but this is exactly what I've observed.

--------------------------------------------------

OK, so what are the exhaust choices out there right now? I dislike the default sound with a passion.

- You got the free DIY vacuum/connector mod to disable quiet mode.
- Sharky bypass. Any drawbacks? One vid I heard I thought it sounded a little rough but couldn't tell really
- muffler side delete. . what's this . . . different than bypass?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thoughts on sports exhaust