Sponsored by:

Thoughts on sports exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 01:07 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,387 Likes on 720 Posts

-Advantage PDK-S

It is really a fantastic transmission(may be the best for the time being). When you come to a stop it acts like a manual. It does not inch forward when you let off the brake. And when you hit the gas it gives a little grunt like it is engaging the gear. I was on a slight hill today and I let off the brake and it started going backwards like a manual in neutral and when you hit the gas it engages. What they accomplishes is purely revolutionary. I am a manual guy but this has got me stupified
Old 08-30-2014, 01:14 AM
mainly
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
That's true, it will only let you rev to 4K when in neutral.
well that really sucks.

why is that?

that "cut off" sound at 4k when someone is trying to rev the engine sounds like it will be a total let down. i want to hear it scream...!

and i know for a fact the carerra s i test drove allowed me to rev all the way up to ~8000 rpm. kinda whimpy dont you think? for it not to be possible on the gt3 but possible on the regular s???

even my m5 allowed me to rev to about 5500-6000 while in neutral as long as it was warmed up!

Old 08-30-2014, 01:17 AM
mainly
Racer

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
-Advantage PDK-S

It is really a fantastic transmission(may be the best for the time being). When you come to a stop it acts like a manual. It does not inch forward when you let off the brake. And when you hit the gas it gives a little grunt like it is engaging the gear. I was on a slight hill today and I let off the brake and it started going backwards like a manual in neutral and when you hit the gas it engages. What they accomplishes is purely revolutionary. I am a manual guy but this has got me stupified
the BMW ///M double clutch transmission is identical to this. and so was their previous sequential manual which came out in 2004.

Last edited by mainly; 08-30-2014 at 01:34 AM.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:26 AM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mainly 1. I like M-DCT but it is NOT as fast as PDK-S (though an irrelevant argument). 2. Stop over revving your engine in neutral. It's harsh on the components, and who are you trying to impress anyway?
Old 08-30-2014, 01:44 AM
mainly
Racer

Originally Posted by Hoopumpers
Mainly 1. I like M-DCT but it is NOT as fast as PDK-S (though an irrelevant argument). 2. Stop over revving your engine in neutral. It's harsh on the components, and who are you trying to impress anyway?
dude, everyone does it. lol. including all the tuning companies that advertise their exhausts on youtube. theyre sitting there reving over and over again...

but seriously im not talking about sitting there for 10 minutes every day reving the car to 9000 rpm in neutral. i just meant a quick blip or two. thats it.

but who are we trying to impress by going to 9000 rpm on the street? and if you dont, what the hell are you buying a gt3 for?

i know i for one am not buying a $180K car to take to the track 4 or 5 times a year. mabe you are but not me. its a road car after all.

on the transmissions ...

oh well, it felt identical to me. and that wasnt my car in the video. i was just test driving it.(and it was just a carrera s not a gt3.) there was no perceptible difference in shift speed. certainly not in the response time of the paddle.

im still hoping he was wrong about not being able to rev past 4k in neutral "after" the car has warmed up.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:20 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Paul, in my thread I listed the size and type of plug that you need (3/16" Hypalon heat resistant synthetic rubber). I also showed a link to Amazon (does Amazon deliver to England?) but it will probably be cheaper to source locally. Try to save the little hoses when you remove them so you can easily reverse the procedure if you choose. The OEM clamps will likely not be reusable but regular mini adjustable hose clamps work fine. Full disclosure; I have already reverted to the stock set up because the result was louder than I liked and I felt the car had a bit less oomph at the bottom end. but it's worth a try to test your personal preference.

Unplugging the connector as AC SACTO did, may work just as well, especially on a trial basis. The plug on the 991 just requires more work to get to (we've still not determined how much) so as a DIY job the readily accessible vacuum trick seemed easier at first glance.

I'll just say that if done properly with the right vacuum plugs, there's no more chance of corruption than with the stock setup. If one were really concerned, one could even clamp the plug fittings. Not saying the vacuum trick is better, but it's basically no more risky than unplugging the connector, IMO.
That's great. Thanks Mike.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:30 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

[QUOTE=Mike in CA;11612636]That's true, it will only let you rev to 4K when in neutral.

It will rev to about 7k at a standstill when you activate launch control. Plus I believe you can rev to 9k when driving by pulling both paddles. Wonder if that works while stationary.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:41 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mainly
well that really sucks.

why is that?

that "cut off" sound at 4k when someone is trying to rev the engine sounds like it will be a total let down. i want to hear it scream...!

and i know for a fact the carerra s i test drove allowed me to rev all the way up to ~8000 rpm. kinda whimpy dont you think? for it not to be possible on the gt3 but possible on the regular s???

even my m5 allowed me to rev to about 5500-6000 while in neutral as long as it was warmed up!

911 carrera s rev - YouTube
Just speculation; maybe they didn't want people revving their 9000 rpm engine to redline in neutral and picked an arbitrary cut off at 4K. Maybe it has something to do with PDK-S or the fact that launch control is available at any time. I'll bet there's a reason, but I don't know what it is.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:45 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Graville
It will rev to about 7k at a standstill when you activate launch control. Plus I believe you can rev to 9k when driving by pulling both paddles. Wonder if that works while stationary.
It revs to about 6500 when using launch control but you have to floor the throttle while holding the brake and of course you're in gear, not in neutral. I've only tried revving in paddle neutral a couple of times while driving but I believe the limit is 4K there also. I'll have to try again to confirm....
Old 08-30-2014, 04:47 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Mainly,

If you get real seat time in a GT3 and the M, you should notice the PDK-S is much better than than the M-DCT. Anyone who has truly driven both cars knows this.

A regular dealer test drive with a regular 911 with a regular PDK doesn't make you an authority on PDK-S of a GT3 driven in anger.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:55 AM
mainly
Racer

Originally Posted by Drifting
Mainly,

If you get real seat time in a GT3 and the M, you should notice the PDK-S is much better than than the M-DCT. Anyone who has truly driven both cars knows this.

A regular dealer test drive with a regular 911 with a regular PDK doesn't make you an authority on PDK-S of a GT3 driven in anger.
well ive owned the m5 for the past 2 years so i think ive had enough seat time.

and i dont claim to be an expert on the pdk-s, thats why i specified that i only drove the regular carerra s, eh?
Old 08-30-2014, 04:57 AM
mainly
Racer

It revs to about 6500 when using launch control but you have to floor the throttle while holding the brake .
exactly. so thats kind of irrelevant.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:52 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mainly
exactly. so thats kind of irrelevant.
r u a boy racer?
Old 08-30-2014, 10:26 AM
mainly
Racer

Originally Posted by Macca
r u a boy racer?
in my mid 30's actually. YOU?

by the way, thanks for that mature comment.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:42 AM
frayed
Race Car

Put it in gear pull both paddles and rev to your hearts content. It'll rev past 4k but not sure how high it'll go

Quick Reply: Thoughts on sports exhaust