Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint to Sample GT3's (Who all ordered one and what color)

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 02:37 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Panamera PTS...

Originally Posted by mile2424
I do remember for the Boxster Spyder the window was only around 10 days to lock your PTS order and this window was unknown until PAG sent an email to dealers to let them know. At that point, only one PCNA show car, 2 dealers and 1 customer were even able to take advantage within the short window.
That whole PTS thing with the Boxster Spyder was an anomaly...even by the often whimsical standards of 'Porsche Exclusive'! I followed that event closely since I had been asking PAG/PCNA for the ability to do PTS on my Spyder for months before that short window in March of 2011 was finally opened! By the way, only three MY2012 Spyders were approved for PTS for the US during that short 'window' - a 'Speed Yellow' in Texas, an 'Azure Blue' in Virginia and a 'Riviera Blue' in California. Only the 'Speed Yellow' was a customer's custom order. The other two were 'insider' dealer specs familiar with PTS in the 'Dark Ages', before the us (the public) knew what colors were already approved in case a quick decision was required. The 'Meteor Grey' PCNA Spyder (WP0CB2A85BS745650) was a late MY2011 production car done specifically for the Detroit Auto Show in January of 2011 and was not part of customer 'open window' order system for PTS - since none ever existed for MY2011 on the Boxster Spyder.

Can the same issues of PTS be said about the Panamera for example? I wouldn't think a very common option to begin with, but would imagine PTS on a Panamera would be much easier in the Leipzig paint booth compared to the unknown wait at Zuffenhausen. Didn't PAG just build a brand new huge paint booth? Is this in use yet?
First of all, the Panameras are welded and painted at a generic VW Group body plant in Hanover, Germany. The painted shell is then shipped to Leipzig where its assembled (engine comes from Zuffenhausen). The new paint facility in Leipzig is for the Macan. It will also start doing Panameras when Porsche transfers the assembly of the Cayenne entirely to Bratislava in Slovakia in 2016 and Leipzig has room to weld & paint the Panameras. So after 2016, Panamera production will be mostly done at Leipzig...but the engines will still probably be done at Zuffenhausen to keep a connection to its Swabian 'roots'.

You are right about PTS in Panameras being 'unusual'. The large body shape doesn't lend itself as well for a bright, bold color as a 911. You & others have posted before photos of at least one 'Mexico Blue' (?) Panamera (see attached). But there are other alternative PTS colors besides bright hues...and that its apparently the route taken by some Panamera customers that want something unique in their particular vehicles!

We may have a rough idea of how many PTS Panameras have been requested by looking at the colors approved for the Panamera on the attached List' - although a popular color like 'Riviera' or 'Mexico' might have been done multiple times! Any color that is 'available' on the Panamera column only got listed there if somebody actually ordered it on his/her car!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images  
Attached Images
Old 09-01-2014, 04:03 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
i was worried that metallic white would look to pearly/elegant for this car.... no?
Arrives in late October can't wait to see it. Elegant na it will be ok, but different. Man all these orange, lime green cars metallic white will look hot(:
Old 09-01-2014, 04:59 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 55 Posts

Found a couple...

Wonder if this is Voodoo or Maritime or something else?

Aetna Blue?

Grey Black...

also found this one...

http://www.prestigeusasportcars.com/..._228584764.veh
Old 09-01-2014, 05:51 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Found a couple...

Wonder if this is Voodoo or Maritime or something else?

'Voodoo Blue' is not yet approved for the Panamera, so it's not that. Look at the approved list and draw your own conclusions. It looks 'Maritime'. Or it might be a new color 'Porsche Exclusive' secretly approved last Spring under pressure from Gazprom. It's called 'Putin Crimean Blue' and it's a very strong & aggressive kind of hue! I like it...a lot! All I can say it's that Russkies have come a long way from the days (not long ago) when all they had were Volgas & Ladas to cruise around Moscow!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Paint to Sample GT3's (Who all ordered one and what color)