Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint to Sample GT3's (Who all ordered one and what color)

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 03:56 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

Sport seat backs in exterior color was an option for years but disappeared with the 991 likely due to outsourced supplier issues as you describe.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:50 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Conekilr
Having gone through the process, here are things to keep in mind if wanting to do PTS on any limited run Porsche model such as the GT3/GT3RS:

#1 - You will not be able to get PTS on the initial/first batch of cars so if you have to have the first one, it's not going to happen

#2 - PTS windows are very short.

#3 - PTS requires at least 3 months lead time from approval to build date. So for example if your build date was December and that fell within the PTS window, your PTS order would have had to been in and approved by September.

#4 - Choose a colour from the already approved list.

#5 - Take action as soon as the model is announced. Let your SA know that you want to do PTS and have them put the bug in PCNA's ear so they can find out if/when the PTS window will be opened.

The whole process is a mess as so much is still not known or clearly communicated to the dealers/customers. It is much more difficult when trying to do it on a limited run car. I suspect it will be even more difficult to get PTS on the upcoming GT3RS if the rumours of it been more limited in production numbers and dealers getting much less allocations than the GT3.

This all sounds very logical and was done by me. It all falls down to when your allocation within the PTS is slotted. Why? Because you need to be able to enter an order before the PTS team says "enough". From what I understand it has become way more popular than in the past, and there is a limited number of cars that they will do. So now in addition to this logical checklist, you have to know where the line forms in the allocation que (so to speak) and bump yourself up to the top- otherwise just saying that you are in the window is no longer good enough. In this case the PTS window opened with October production, but I personally could not enter my order until Aug 22nd, for my late Oct production. By that time the PTS order book was closed, so those with 1st - 10th of October production slots got in, everyone else - out. This makes sense from a MY 2015 change over perspective too, once you are confirmed PTS, your order is delayed and others get bumped forward. How many people (like me) found your order going sooner than you thought- I think that is probably the 50 -100 PTS cars getting bumped later and others getting pulled forward.

This is my speculation from years in manufacturing, not fact on the dates and numbers, but IMHO that is what happened. BTW, Melissa stated that they (Porsche Exclusive) were also denied PTS for their show cars for MY2015.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:59 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Amazing how hard PTS is to get. BMW you pay your cash, and done deal anytime of the year.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:22 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

lol mooty compassionate on same page of dictionary. I like it
tongue in cheek
my wife always said she would been happier if she married darth vader.

I appreciate Eduardo seeing my frustration. we all knew PTS is tough to get given the rules. but the rules are moving targets, which is even harder. two dept PTS vs allocation....
Toyota was not paid enough so they only taught the Germans JIT and not much else.

they should charge more for PTS. I'm sure many will pay up. make it a profit center. $50000 for PTS, why not. this way PAG won't be so stiff in saying no

beside other work, we are one of the largest manufacturer in assistance. granted not cars and simpler process, but PTS doesn't disrupt assembly line. if u do ONE PTS dusting the life of a product cycle yes it's chaos, but if PTS is in the menu, then it's peculiarities should have been programmed into operation engineering ( this is for approved color). painting red, white, puke, smrfette, eggplant, orange, banana, it's all the same.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:24 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Amazing how hard PTS is to get. BMW you pay your cash, and done deal anytime of the year.
lol. they know operation and manufacturing...
they just have ordinary aesthetics and mediocre engine with so so suspension

I'll settle on PTS *** white again....
I give up.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:41 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Yep I'm good with metallic white. M5 is a good commuter car DCT is damn good, and getting paint is easy for a couple of bucks(;
Old 08-31-2014, 06:42 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
This all sounds very logical and was done by me. It all falls down to when your allocation within the PTS is slotted. Why? Because you need to be able to enter an order before the PTS team says "enough". From what I understand it has become way more popular than in the past, and there is a limited number of cars that they will do. So now in addition to this logical checklist, you have to know where the line forms in the allocation que (so to speak) and bump yourself up to the top- otherwise just saying that you are in the window is no longer good enough. In this case the PTS window opened with October production, but I personally could not enter my order until Aug 22nd, for my late Oct production. By that time the PTS order book was closed, so those with 1st - 10th of October production slots got in, everyone else - out. This makes sense from a MY 2015 change over perspective too, once you are confirmed PTS, your order is delayed and others get bumped forward. How many people (like me) found your order going sooner than you thought- I think that is probably the 50 -100 PTS cars getting bumped later and others getting pulled forward.

This is my speculation from years in manufacturing, not fact on the dates and numbers, but IMHO that is what happened. BTW, Melissa stated that they (Porsche Exclusive) were also denied PTS for their show cars for MY2015.
I think the October/November PTS window was much harder to get into for guys like you because most of the spots were probably taken by those from the first PTS window such as myself that got pushed back due to the stop sale.

The GT3 being a limited run along with the stop sale made the process and chances of getting one much harder. It is much easier if it's a model being produced by the thousands over several years.

IMO, Porsche can do a few simple things like letting dealers know ahead of time when the PTS window will be open and how many cars they will be doing to help ease the frustration of those try to do this. At least this way everyone will know the rules of the game and have an equal chance at getting a spot.

But then again, we're talking about Porsche here...

Old 08-31-2014, 09:21 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 55 Posts

How many GT3's are likely to be made for the MY2014? Has anyone heard whether 991, Cayman, and Boxster customers are having the same issues trying to order PTS? Maybe PAG is only allowing a certain amount of PTS allocations per product line? You would think it shouldn't matter as long as the customer is willing to pay, and you would think there would be more PTS orders on GT3's than most other product lines (or at least out of the percentage of cars being produced). I do remember for the Boxster Spyder the window was only around 10 days to lock your PTS order and this window was unknown until PAG sent an email to dealers to let them know. At that point, only one PCNA show car, 2 dealers and 1 customer were even able to take advantage within the short window.

Can the same issues of PTS be said about the Panamera for example? I wouldn't think a very common option to begin with, but would imagine PTS on a Panamera would be much easier in the Leipzig paint booth compared to the unknown wait at Zuffenhausen.

Didn't PAG just build a brand new huge paint booth? Is this in use yet?
Old 08-31-2014, 10:33 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

The fault lies in GT3 production ending not in the alignment of the PTS stars. My Nov build was originally moved to Feb, the next PTS scheduled builds, by PCNA in early August because the Nov PTS slots were filled. The dealer called me stating they had the email in hand. Then about 10 days ago PAG said no Feb GT3 PTS slot would be permitted, moved my build back to Nov and standard colors only. If I wanted a PTS C4S they would be happy to build it next Feb.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:00 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yep I'm good with metallic white. M5 is a good commuter car DCT is damn good, and getting paint is easy for a couple of bucks(;
i was worried that metallic white would look to pearly/elegant for this car.... no?
Old 09-01-2014, 12:23 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ it's white white! not the pearl white of 80's. I saw in person

not yellowish all white and bright
Old 09-01-2014, 12:24 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
I'll settle on PTS *** white again....
I give up.
Lol
Old 09-01-2014, 12:37 AM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
i was worried that metallic white would look to pearly/elegant for this car.... no?
Not pearly at all. You can't even tell it is metallic unless you are 12 inches or less from the paint.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:39 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Zucc, what color is that in your picture? That shot of the rear panel and tire/wheel looks great.

Mooty, so I know that you have a white car on order, did you pull the trigger on metallic?

Glad to hear the endorsements...
Old 09-01-2014, 12:43 AM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a pic I found online a couple of months ago so I assume it is a 2014 with the standard white. I chose that pic because I like the silver wheels. My build is metallic white with silver wheels.

Quick Reply: Paint to Sample GT3's (Who all ordered one and what color)