Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

issues encountered with your GT3

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 08:05 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

I am just really excited. The looks of this car is just amazing. I do not care what any one says - it does not look like any other variant. It just sits so low and the wing is a masterpiece. You really just feel like a Great white in the ocean. I had a bunch of my neighbors all come over and check it out. One little punk down the street, while I was inside came on my driveway and was checking it out(weird). I am fine if I am outside but going on my property with out the Owner there not good. But he is in his 20s so I cut him a break.

Ask Sam - In TX they will shoot you
Old 08-24-2014, 08:10 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I am just really excited. The looks of this car is just amazing. I do not care what any one says - it does not look like any other variant. It just sits so low and the wing is a masterpiece. You really just feel like a Great white in the ocean. I had a bunch of my neighbors all come over and check it out. One little punk down the street, while I was inside came on my driveway and was checking it out(weird). I am fine if I am outside but going on my property with out the Owner there not good. But he is in his 20s so I cut him a break.

Ask Sam - In TX they will shoot you
Yup, shoot first, ask later. That said, when I was a kid, any beautiful car was game for ogling, no matter where it was parked...
Old 08-24-2014, 08:23 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by jfr0317
Mike, the new ones are on top of the old ones.
Thanks, John. I was just wondering because they gave me the new stickers but no instructions on how to apply them. Putting the new on top of the old would have been easier as the old ones disintegrate when you try to remove them and are a PITA to get off, not that that stopped me. My main concern was that both sets of stickers were supposed to be visible for some reason, but obviously that's not the case.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:34 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Thanks, John. I was just wondering because they gave me the new stickers but no instructions on how to apply them. Putting the new on top of the old would have been easier as the old ones disintegrate when you try to remove them and are a PITA to get off, not that that stopped me. My main concern was that both sets of stickers were supposed to be visible for some reason, but obviously that's not the case.
You're welcome, Mike. At first I thought they had removed the old ones, but on closer inspection I could just see the edge of the old one under the new one.

By the way, in keeping with the thread title, I have had one puff of white smoke on start-up and no other issues. I am loving the car and am driving it almost exclusively in manual mode to allow easy variation of engine speeds for break-in purposes. I actually prefer using manual mode to the regular automatic mode which gives the very quick upshifts when puttering around town.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:42 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Thanks all. I do have the little blue light. I also have one engine sticker with a serial number on the passenger inside door. It is black and thin and about 3 inches long.

Oh - also had had nice belch of smoke on start up before I took her out for a 30 min cruise. All my Porsches belched so now it feels at home
Old 08-25-2014, 12:32 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Jimmy. Fogging of the rear lights is a well known phenomena with the LED rear lights in the 991 generation and nothing to be worried about (nor nothing you can do about it). I had it happen after engine replacement. Took the light out and used a hairdrier as others had done on the 991 board and it went away for a few days but then on a very cold morning at the track it came back after parking up. Was a bit miffed about it till my mate turned up with his 991 GT3 and exactly the same thing happened! Then a 991S turned up and after a hot run around the track in teh cold same thing happened again. They all said it happens after a run in the wet to so its totally normal apparently...

My educated guess would be that with normal bulbs, there is enough heat emitted to dry up any moisture inside, and the LED's basically run cool, thus the moisture buildup.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:41 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

^ What I find interesting is that I have the LED headlights and there is no moisture. Is it possible that with the heat generated by the rear engine that they are allowing for some air in the rear LEDs for whatever reason. I am not an engineer on LEDs but maybe sensitive to heat.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:50 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Both above are true I suspect. LEDs dont generate much heat from inside which means the moisture doesnt clear and the engine back there generates plenty of heat (the lights get hot on the outside). that was the conclusion form my extensive research on the topic and I suggest why the fronts dont fog.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:30 PM
918man
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 918man
I have the same distortion. Radio and bass up seem to cause the door to rattle. Sounds like a bad speaker but i think its something in door rattling. Going back to delaer after a week of ownership. Happened on my drive home from dealer.

Took back to dealer. They took door apart. Loose plastic part. All fixed. Less than an hour.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:27 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the update 918man. I will ask dealer to attend this sometime soon...
Old 08-31-2014, 06:14 AM
the-missile
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Gents,

Small update on the 1500kms rocket, still a blast, no doubt !!
Oil sensor went to down level yesterday night, with request for refill, PC will check.
Small noise in the steering like grating noise. Very noticeable when car is cold. More difficult when everything is warm up. let us see the diags.
I do have as well the strange vibrating noise (vizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz) at high revs inside the car, looks like coming from the front...very annoying. Only noticeable at high revs.

They will install the new stickers as well today for the new engine ref.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:57 AM
Napoli
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My only issue so far is that I have to wait 'till Dec. for delivery.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:47 AM
Clocked
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Start up smoke

Some of you have report smoke at start up.

My engine was replaced at the factory and have had zero smoke at start up.

Only issue so far:
.no gurgle exhaust note ( the free car CS cab had more downshift noise)
Old 08-31-2014, 11:18 AM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far:

Smoke at startup 2x this week. Happens only after car has sat, and smoke is white/grayish which seems to be more like a moisture issue than an oil issue. Oil smoke is generally blue, fuel is generally black (carbon) and I thought moisture (e.g., in an extreme case a blown head gasket) is white.

The other gripe isn't a build quality issue but function of PDK. As I stated earlier, not a fan of PDK around town. Too quick to upshift (who really wants to put around at 2k rpm all the time??) and the sport mode is a lil too aggressive for your typical commute to work. So manual it is.

Only time I've put it in auto is when I was shaving, scratching myself, plucking my eybrows and drinking scalding coffee while driving the tail of the dragon.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:28 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Does this car have an air compressor ect???. I though usually their is a compartment in the front trunk.

Also - What is idea tire pressure for street driving. At AM start up my fronts are 32 and rears 38. After a good warm up they are 36 and 42. Is that fine??

Quick Reply: issues encountered with your GT3