Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Bumper Color is Off

Old 08-18-2014, 08:08 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Front Bumper Color is Off

There is a slight difference in color from my front bumper compared with my hood/fenders (hood & fenders are very white while the bumper is more yellow). Yes, I’m a bit **** about this stuff but there is no doubt there is a difference in color if you look closely. Sure, the bumper is plastic and the rest is metal but still, from the factory it should be very close to perfect, no? I took the car to my dealer and they said there is a flex agent in the paint on the bumper which makes it slightly different but they acknowledged the difference is more than typical (we compared my car with 2 other white P-cars on their lot) so they are escalating it and apparently a rep from Porsche will inspect the car. Just wondering if anyone else has the same issue (or have dealt with this on a new car in the past)?
Old 08-18-2014, 08:16 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Could it be from sitting at the port? I will check mine and report back. This is interesting.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:26 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Originally Posted by silverrules
Could it be from sitting at the port? I will check mine and report back. This is interesting.
Possible, I guess (it was there for around 5 months). The rest of the car is spotless though. If you look really close the rear bumper is slightly off color as well but not worth complaining about. The front though is bugging me.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:30 PM
cparkin
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All White Porsches bumpers are a different shade of white. It is not just yours. Plastic reflects white differently and the bumpers are painted seperately from the rest of the car.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:33 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Meteor at the very least can you post a picture to show us what you are concerned about?

I assume no clear film?

Having read your post and looked at scans of my car from new to now (9 months) I see in certain lights the bumper could be described as slightly greyer than the pain on the fenders/bonnet. IIts not a perfect match but I wasnt expecting it to be as few modern cars are with paint between PU and steel/alloy panels given the reflective qualities differ from the surfaces and some materials hold more "orange peel" effect form the paint etc.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:33 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Plastic fades faster than metal? The stone clear bra guard on front of the rear wheel is completely yellowed out and they will fix that. They are very good about these things. I plan on taking my car to dealer for this issue. Both Ian and Andrew called me today and want to make thing right specially after the action team letter went out.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:38 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Silverrules. Seriously my clear thingy on the rear fenders started going yellow within 4 weeks of driving in Europe when I picked it up. Its now scratched from stones and track marble marks. I commssioned a set of replacement sform FDMotorsport. They had to order in a factory one to have a template cut. This was 6 months ago and I recieved it finally 2 months ago but they should have them in stock now. Call Mark. I woudnt even bother getting the dealer to replace it with the Porsche part as it will do the same again within a month. The FDM product is superior. I must say the who film going yellow on white thing put me off of having clear film on any other part of the car so I haven't bothered. Im in no rush either to have the factory yellow fender film removed - Ill let teh existing one scuff aup a bit more with some track use before bothering. The dealer can cover the labour for fitting the FDM part under warranty
Old 08-18-2014, 08:51 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Thanks Macca. I will check them out. I was also considering putting the clear bra on the rocker panels from front to back wheel and over the factory bra. The factory bra will come out. Its crap.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:53 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Originally Posted by Macca
Meteor at the very least can you post a picture to show us what you are concerned about?

I assume no clear film?

Having read your post and looked at scans of my car from new to now (9 months) I see in certain lights the bumper could be described as slightly greyer than the pain on the fenders/bonnet. IIts not a perfect match but I wasnt expecting it to be as few modern cars are with paint between PU and steel/alloy panels given the reflective qualities differ from the surfaces and some materials hold more "orange peel" effect form the paint etc.
It’s really tough to see in pictures. It seems in lower light it is most noticeable. Here is 1 pic below from pre-delivery.

Maybe it’s just me being picky but I compared my car to a white Cayenne and Panamera and their bumpers were much closer in color than mine.

I have an appointment to get film installed on Friday but want Porsche to look at the car first.
Attached Images  
Old 08-18-2014, 08:55 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 997TTMeteor
It’s really tough to see in pictures. It seems in lower light it is most noticeable. Here is 1 pic below from pre-delivery. Maybe it’s just me being picky but I compared my car to a white Cayenne and Panamera and their bumpers were much closer in color than mine. I have an appointment to get film installed on Friday but want Porsche to look at the car first.
I noticed it in pictures of white owner's cars that were posted, but I figured it was an optical illusion. Will check mine out tonight.

Can anyone else confirm that this is a common thing among white Porsches?!?!
Old 08-18-2014, 08:59 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Meteor. The picture you post is under Fluor lighting. I can see the light bar reflected on the hood. Of course under Fluor up colour always looks off from steel panel colour. I can identify the difference but is it as obvious in daylight?
Old 08-18-2014, 09:01 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ I can definitly see it in the photo. Let us know what the Rep has to say. Thanks, Allan
Old 08-18-2014, 09:04 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Here is one of mine recently under (brighter) fluro. To be fair it doesnt look much different than yours under that light. As I say you cant use fluro to judge (well know issues with colour temp in K for fluro lights and paint). I would consider mine fully acceptable and having also seen other white 991 GT3 I dont consider mine any different form others...
Attached Images    
Old 08-18-2014, 09:08 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

OK. I confess on closer inspection yours does look a little more "off" but its really hard to make a call without seeing it in person...
Old 08-18-2014, 09:11 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Originally Posted by Macca
Meteor. The picture you post is under Fluor lighting. I can see the light bar reflected on the hood. Of course under Fluor up colour always looks off from steel panel colour. I can identify the difference but is it as obvious in daylight?
It’s definitely less noticeable in bright/natural light, but when I showed my dealer we were outside on a cloudy/overcast day and it was very noticeable.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front Bumper Color is Off