Sponsored by:

Parking up to a kerb stone

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 06:56 PM
Nigelr32
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking up to a kerb stone

Just wondering, how do you manage to avoid hitting the splitter when parking nose on up to a kerb stone?

Have you fitted sensors in the splitter?

I seem to remember in the USA cars had coiled wire on the skirts to avoid damage from high kerbs?
Old 07-28-2014, 06:56 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Park short.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:07 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 57 Posts

You need to guess. You can get pretty good at estimating how far in you can go especially if there are cars to the side of you.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:27 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nigelr32
Just wondering, how do you manage to avoid hitting the splitter when parking nose on up to a kerb stone?

I seem to remember in the USA cars had coiled wire on the skirts to avoid damage from high kerbs?
You talking about "Curb Feeler's"

I know that would look silly on a GT3. Hope you have front lift other wise those traffic bumps! Perhaps one of the single most useful option on a GT3 which should be offered on other models. After market solutions offer over 2.3 inches or more compared to less than 2 inches for Porsches option. However the after market version in the USA with labor is going to cost something over $10K. Which is about £6250 at US prices. But alas, I've went off topic I figure. Oh well Bob's your Uncle if you can find a solution!

It's a bummer that the GT3 cost about $30K more in GB than it does in the USA. Also noted from looking at prices and observing TV shows that used cars loose their value at a faster clip too than in the US. That and you have to get an MOT certification to drive on public roads, now that is one thing I agree that we had here in the US because there are plenty Pieces of **** still barely running that should crushed and recycled. Sorry, moving right along.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:29 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Nigelr32

It's been many years since I've seen a car here with curb feelers, although they used to be common! Nick is right, you need to guess and LexVan has the best advice; park short. If necessary you can always get out, check, and adjust a bit although you risk looking a bit dorky.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:34 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

After a while, you learn where the front end is.
Another trick - look at the reflection of your car in the one next to it.

Or just use the PPPS - Porsche passenger parking sensor - have them hop out and look.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:12 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

When in doubt.... back it in
Old 07-29-2014, 01:24 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rubbaman

Best advice yet!!!!!!
Old 07-29-2014, 01:53 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The lip really stick out and hard to estimate every time. Good luck with not hitting it. I hit it at least twice.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:30 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by rubbaman
Yeah, 'cause it's so easy to see out the back of this damn car and there's nothing at the rear you can damage!
Old 07-29-2014, 02:38 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

http://www.chinavasion.com/china/who...ont_Camera_Kit

I solve problems with innovative high-quality solutions, that's just what I do. You can thank me later, and no charge for the plasti-dip if you put "alexisamazingandacooldude" as the referral code when you order.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:16 AM
Nigelr32
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the advice guys. i asked the question because i have damaged a few low fronted cars in this way.

I like the idea of the camera, but am wondering where on earth you would put the screen in a GT3?

Mike, I guess the rear view is awful.. hadn't thought of that one.. I've on ly sat in one car so far and didn't look back !!
Old 07-29-2014, 09:22 AM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Yeah, 'cause it's so easy to see out the back of this damn car and there's nothing at the rear you can damage!
What's an exhaust pipe anyway? Who needs 'em? Yeah, you can't see out the back window for beans, but .... what I used to do in my 964 was back in a bit and then open the driver door and peek around the door pillar and see how much room I had left. Didn't have to get out of car like I would when pulling in front first. Now that would be another great use for the trunk monkey.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:03 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
It's been many years since I've seen a car here with curb feelers, although they used to be common! Nick is right, you need to guess and LexVan has the best advice; park short. If necessary you can always get out, check, and adjust a bit although you risk looking a bit dorky.
I know, could you Imagine Curb Feelers on a GT3? Haven't really seen them since the 80s when the Vato's and Idiots would put double Feelers around each wheel arch, and don't forget the smaller diameter rims that would stick out of their car's wheel arch q good two inches. That and fender Trim and the extra trim that would outline all the doors of their Hyundai Excels. I love the 80s and early 90s.

The last car we had Feelers on was our 70 something Ford LTD Wagon - talking about land Yacht. Would 9 MPG meet 2020 CAFE requirements?
Old 07-29-2014, 09:49 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Id be a bit careful driving a lifted GT3 over a concrete parking bollard then leaving it parked up for a longish period. I saw one at the panel shop last thursday. Car had been raised in a car park building 1.25" and driven just over the concrete parking thingy with just enough clearnace. Lift had gone down while owner was doing his business. When he reversed out of the parking spot he ripped the entire spoiler off and scrapped some paint. The car had lowered itself basically onto the concrete parking guide. It was a 997.2 GT3 with lift but could happen to anyone I guess....

Quick Reply: Parking up to a kerb stone