Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking up to a kerb stone

Old 07-29-2014, 10:14 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by rubbaman
What's an exhaust pipe anyway? Who needs 'em? Yeah, you can't see out the back window for beans, but .... what I used to do in my 964 was back in a bit and then open the driver door and peek around the door pillar and see how much room I had left. Didn't have to get out of car like I would when pulling in front first. Now that would be another great use for the trunk monkey.
Now I want a frunk monkey......

Originally Posted by Macca
Id be a bit careful driving a lifted GT3 over a concrete parking bollard then leaving it parked up for a longish period. I saw one at the panel shop last thursday. Car had been raised in a car park building 1.25" and driven just over the concrete parking thingy with just enough clearnace. Lift had gone down while owner was doing his business. When he reversed out of the parking spot he ripped the entire spoiler off and scrapped some paint. The car had lowered itself basically onto the concrete parking guide. It was a 997.2 GT3 with lift but could happen to anyone I guess....
True. The manual actually warns about leaving the car parked with the front lifted for an "extended time" for just this reason. I've inadvertently left the front lifted in my garage for a couple of days and it seems to maintain it's height, but I'm sure that eventually it wouldn't be able to "keep it up".
Old 07-29-2014, 10:22 PM
az audi
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
After a while, you learn where the front end is.
Another trick - look at the reflection of your car in the one next to it.

Or just use the PPPS - Porsche passenger parking sensor - have them hop out and look.
PPPS - classic, I will use that.

Bill, great to meet you you at Audi with Brian the other day. We need to connect sometime just to talk cars or go to the track.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:25 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't have GT3 yet, but what helps me to judge the distance to a curb is a side mirror.
I am just using the side mirror against the approaching curb as a reference. I am sited tight (you can even brace your head against the headrest to make it even more precise) and observe how the curb is approaching the side mirror's contour.

With this method and a bit of testing you can park your car within centimetres from any curb.
Just take a margin if you approach a curb at left angle!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Parking up to a kerb stone