Old 07-27-2014, 06:02 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default The last check of the option list

Hi guys,

just a few questions to make sure I have ticked all the boxes correctly:

1) Integrated rain sensor.

The manual says that in rain sensor mode, the amount of rain on the windscreen is measured and the wipe interval is automatically controlled.
However if a speed of approx. 8km/h is exceeded the system switches to the preselected wiper speed.

If I understand this correctly it means that the wipers operate in automatic mode only below 8km/h? That would make this option useless for me.
I'd rather not have this feature when the car is in stand still and have it work while driving at higher speeds. What's the point of having the rain sensor then?

2) Sound Package Plus

Is this option worth 500EUR? Frankly speaking I hardly ever turn the radio on in my M3 as I'd rather listen to the engine noise than even quite good H&K sound system.
However if the Sound Package Plus does its job I could excuse wasting 500EUR.

3) What do you think about xenons in black on white GT3? Isn't it too much of a contrast?
I don't like LEDs as I think that the single projector in the headlight fits 911 better. My option is either xenon or xenon in black.
By the way are the turn indicators in the headlights LEDs regardless of the option?

Thank you!
Old 07-27-2014, 07:19 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

1)Didn't order rain sensors as I don't plan on really driving in the rain. Also I have it on my 991S, and never use the function. I have it on other cars also if it rains I hit the stalk to activate no big deal so I would not pay for it.

2)I did purchase the sound plus package, and it makes the PCM a no cost option in the states so it was a no brainer. I hear it sounds good. Like you I want to hear the engine.

3)I would have loved black lights, but I ordered the LED's which look good at night, and I struggled with this option. However, I didn't want to regret it later so I stayed with the LED's. My car arrives in Novemeber a 2015. Good luck with your options.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:27 AM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

1. Its the dimming mirrors part of this option that make it a mandatory selection IMO for North American buyers

I see you are in Europe. The options there are broken down differently I suspect...
Old 07-27-2014, 09:36 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,388 Likes on 720 Posts

1) If the rain sensors are a stand alone option then forget about it. If it comes with the dimming mirrors I would check the box

2) Same with the sound package plus. If stand alone option not necessary although I love my music. But even in my C2S loaner s/ the Bose I notice turning volume down to enjoy the music from the engine.

3) if you do not like the LEDs go with the xenons in black
Old 07-27-2014, 11:45 AM
Slip
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 21 Posts

In Aus you need the sound package plus if you want navigation on PCM, if you don't have it you can't option nav.

+1 on the rain sensors, my car doesn't have them but I'm not planning on a lot of driving in the rain. If the GT3 is your daily I'd get it, otherwise if not I'd drive another car when it's pouring rain.

I ordered the black headlights with white, I think it looks great and toughens up the front.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:00 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Don't even mildly tinted windows take care of the issue better than the auto-dimming feature?
Old 07-27-2014, 05:08 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by qbix
1) Integrated rain sensor.

The manual says that in rain sensor mode, the amount of rain on the windscreen is measured and the wipe interval is automatically controlled.
However if a speed of approx. 8km/h is exceeded the system switches to the preselected wiper speed.

If I understand this correctly it means that the wipers operate in automatic mode only below 8km/h? That would make this option useless for me.
I'd rather not have this feature when the car is in stand still and have it work while driving at higher speeds. What's the point of having the rain sensor then?
The wording is confusing, as the very next sentence says that if the wiper stalk is in position 1 when the ignition is switched on the rain sensor remains active at speeds above approx. 2.5mph (4 km/h).

My other Porsches with rain sensing wipers, including my current Cayenne, have had sensors that operate at all speeds. Also, although I've only driven the GT3 in the rain once, I'm almost certain IIRC that the sensor worked at higher speeds. It makes NO sense that rain sensing wipers would only work below 5 mph.....
Old 07-27-2014, 07:30 PM
rwcsn1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree with the tint in the windows...though i don't plan on anyone catching up from behind to make any dimming mirrors useful. didn't order a GT3 to "cruise" on the highway

i think rain sensors are useless, glad i can do without it. had it on prior cars, it was never exactly right. sometimes tech is just too much.

i agree the black on white is too high contrast. but this is a very personal choice, you have to just go see for yourself in person.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:35 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The wording is confusing, as the very next sentence says that if the wiper stalk is in position 1 when the ignition is switched on the rain sensor remains active at speeds above approx. 2.5mph (4 km/h).

My other Porsches with rain sensing wipers, including my current Cayenne, have had sensors that operate at all speeds. Also, although I've only driven the GT3 in the rain once, I'm almost certain IIRC that the sensor worked at higher speeds. It makes NO sense that rain sensing wipers would only work below 5 mph.....
Thanks Mike for the straight answer. One question shot down.

Are turn indictors in the xenon headlights LEDs? That might sound silly but actually I only decided to go LED with the new X5 because otherwise I would have ugly traditional yellow bulbs in otherwise fantastic headlamps. Same is going to be valid to the GT3.

Sound Package Plus is a separate option in EU.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:00 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,388 Likes on 720 Posts

I thought the turn signals were in the DRLs with the xenon headlights and the same for the LEDs but with the LEDs the DRLS are in the headlamp so it would be in the strip below the headlamp if that makes any sense.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:26 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by qbix
Thanks Mike for the straight answer. One question shot down.

Are turn indictors in the xenon headlights LEDs? That might sound silly but actually I only decided to go LED with the new X5 because otherwise I would have ugly traditional yellow bulbs in otherwise fantastic headlamps. Same is going to be valid to the GT3.
qbix, the turn signals are not in the headlight module. They're located in the horizontal fixture below the headlight module; the turn signals are in the top half of the fixtere and the LED driving lights are in the thin strip on the bottom. BTW, the turn signals look clear and only show amber when they are activated.
Attached Images  
Old 07-28-2014, 05:41 PM
frayed
Race Car

I'm actually a fan of rain sensors and suspect I may be in the rain from time to time, and also on track. Automatic headlights and auto wipers I like. I'm not a fan of auto dim b/c sometimes the mirror dims too much. Even though these functions are bundled together (in the US anyway), auto dim can be switched off.

I plan on a light tint as well, making auto dim less important.

Black headlilghts on white are said by a few to be too much contrast, ending up with a 'panda' look. I like the standard finish and went with that.

Sound package plus as well, b/c the base stereo is really bad, and plus just slightly less bad. I would spring for the burmeister if the gt3 offered it. . . but I'm not interested in aftermarket so I'll suffer from the less bad system.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:29 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Oh, and re: the Sound Package it's probably worth the money as a stand alone and definitely worth it if ROW it's required, as it is here in the US, to get NAV.

That said, at 65mph+ freeway speeds with the engine, exhaust, and especially road noise in the cabin it's impossible to enjoy quality audio. I started to listen to the jukebox with my playlist this weekend while on the road and turned it off after 5 minutes. You have to turn the volume way up and the system is just blasting; all nuance is lost. I can see why Porsche didn't include the Burmester system as an option; it would be pointless.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:58 PM
frayed
Race Car

Good point. I forget how much road noise makes its way into GT3s.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:24 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Oh, and re: the Sound Package it's probably worth the money as a stand alone and definitely worth it if ROW it's required, as it is here in the US, to get NAV.

That said, at 65mph+ freeway speeds with the engine, exhaust, and especially road noise in the cabin it's impossible to enjoy quality audio. I started to listen to the jukebox with my playlist this weekend while on the road and turned it off after 5 minutes. You have to turn the volume way up and the system is just blasting; all nuance is lost. I can see why Porsche didn't include the Burmester system as an option; it would be pointless.
^^^ + 100

Did the same on a trip last week. Ive given up entirely on the iPhone music files. Real (old world) CDs sound so much better on this audio system (dont ask me why). I dusted off the 300 CDs I own (and only used to load onto my idevices 8 years ago!) and selected a dozen. I forgotten how much is list through compressed digital files. Generally speaking the stereo is very average in this car even in the Plus version I have - but if you must listen to music take your CD wallet and its much more acceptable IMO...

Quick Reply: The last check of the option list