First Drive Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 01:11 AM
cingulus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Drive Impressions

So I finally got a chance to drive the new GT3 today and on a track to boot

The car was a rental at ExoticsRacing in Las Vegas. I got to drive it back-to-back with a 458. If you have a chance, you should go out and drive the GT3 this way. Here are my impressions:

1. Steering – The steering is so precise the only thing I can compare it to is the 458. It really is point and shoot. Compared to my M3, which I have tracked many times, the steering is so much more capable, I had to re-learn how to steer a car. I had about 20 laps in the car and it took me about 10 to really trust the GT3 and to drive it as hard as I dared. My first laps on the 1.2 mile course were about 1:03 and once I just let the car do what it was designed to, my times dropped to about 55 seconds. The car just feels so good and I sure with time I could shave another 4-5 seconds of that time as I get better at judging break points. You really can just become one with the machine.

2. Power – As you would expect, plenty of power in car and it is readily available. It feels like more power than the numbers would indicate on paper. The PDK gives you so much control over how you apply power, it feels like magic. If you like lots of absolute muscle you will be disappointed in the car. It would not keep up with the 458 on the 1800m long straight, but it really caught up with them in the corners. I also found the low-speed power around the paddock to be “just right.”

3. PDK – I have had the chance to drive the GTR, 997.2 Turbo, 458, Lambo Superleggera, R8 V10 and GT3, all of which have paddles, at Exotics Racing over the past few months and the GT3 PDK is as good as it gets. The 458 is just as fast, but not as smooth. I have always driven manuals, just because I could. I don’t have a big bias either way, and I can tell you I did not miss the manual at all today over my laps. The PDK gave me absolute control over the car and it really became intuitive for me very quickly. The added bonus is my wife can drive the new GT3, of course, I hope does not like it too much.

4. Brakes – This car had steel brakes which is how mine will come. I am sure the PCCBs are great, but I could not find any faults with the steel brakes. Obviously, with this car being a rental the ride along instructor made sure I braked early enough to not take any real risks. It was clear that the brakes could be pushed much harder. We did 10 laps, took a break for about 5 minutes and then 10 more, I could not feel any fade at all.

5. Overall Ride – It felt about the same as my M3 that has KW3 coil-overs and extra sway bars, stiff but livable for a daily drive. I left OC at 7:30 am, drove 250 miles to Vegas, stopped for lunch ,hit the track at 1 pm and did my laps over 45 minutes and felt fine when I got out of the GT3. It was just like my M3. I then drove home 250 miles and was home by 7:30 pm no worse for the ware.

6. Seats – They felt good to me. I am 5’ 8” and 250, so it passed the “fat-***” factor. After about 20 laps I felt no issues and it was very comfortable. The leg bolsters left plenty of room and side bolsters hugged the ribs very well. I did not slide around at all.

7. Visibility – I did have to lift the seat up to get the right sight lines out of the car so I would guess for the taller guys it would be good.

The GT3 and 458 are the best cars I have ever driven. I must confess I could only afford a GT3, but I think that even if the 458 was an option for me I would still get a GT3.

Last edited by cingulus; 07-27-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:26 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Wow - very nice review and concise. Interesting point on the 458 and GT3 my assumption is for the track not a weekend driver?
Old 07-27-2014, 08:16 AM
Fadi1
Pro

Very nice. I agree with you. My car is not in yet (2 more weeks?) but I test drove a 2014 GT3 with ceramics on sale as used with 2k miles on the clock. It was brief but life changing. I've driven the 458 as well before and I'm currently in a C4S loaner. I did a quick in traffic lap. Really impressed. The steering...wow what a difference. It had PCCBs and they're amazing. Love the rattle of the PDKs. I can't wait to my own finally. Break it in and drive and then...
Old 07-27-2014, 09:28 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,384 Likes on 719 Posts

^^^Thanks for sharing your experience and it appeared very objective. You say that the GT3 has plenty of power yet now where near the 458. Can you elaborate a little on that??- I ask that because on paper to 60 and the quarter mile the GT3 seems to hold its own although you can not argue the HP differences
Old 07-27-2014, 11:25 AM
TrackFan
Banned

It always amazes me when someone says they always drove manuals, and loved them. Will then accept the PDK so easily on one drive.

Just once i'd love to read someone say PDK sucks, and they won't buy a car with a computer shifting for them.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:29 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackFan
It always amazes me when someone says they always drove manuals, and loved them. Will then accept the PDK so easily on one drive. Just once i'd love to read someone say PDK sucks, and they won't buy a car with a computer shifting for them.
It must be that good, as it is a fairly consistent comment. Sounds like you need to get out and try one before passing judgement.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:32 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

It always amazes me when someone says they always drove manuals, and loved them. Will then accept the PDK so easily on one drive. Just once i'd love to read someone say PDK sucks, and they won't buy a car with a computer shifting for them.
Haha. TrackFan--if you've read a lot of the threads in this forum, I'm sure you'll have NO trouble at all finding posts stating that "PDK sucks, and they won't buy a car with a computer shifting for them."

That said, there are those of us, myself included, who are excited to drive and own a car with the PDK-S. To each his own, right?
Old 07-27-2014, 11:38 AM
TrackFan
Banned

I guess I missed them. I've read some say they miss the manual, but still liked the PDK.

I did test drive a 2S with PDK. No matter how good it shifts. It's still an auto trans. I'm sure the GT3 shifts firmer, but i'm still not doing it.

It's why i'm torn between the Z06 and RS. It would be a no brainer if the RS had a manual. I'm pretty careful before buying a car. I need to get this worked out.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:41 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess I missed them. I've read some say they miss the manual, but still liked the PDK. I did test drive a 2S with PDK. No matter how good it shifts. It's still an auto trans. I'm sure the GT3 shifts firmer, but i'm still not doing it. It's why i'm torn between the Z06 and RS. It would be a no brainer if the RS had a manual. I'm pretty careful before buying a car. I need to get this worked out.
I hear the PDKS in the GT3 is far better. I really hope so. I have a PDK C2S loaner, and it's good, but I would agree, my 6speed turbo is still more fun.

Go to Vegas like the poster above!
Old 07-27-2014, 11:45 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Hate to say it manuals will be a thing of the past as the demand is drifting. My C2S is a manual so going to the PDK will be interesting. My 2013 M5 has the DCT, and it drive like a bat out of hell in auto mode .........not bad I like it.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:01 PM
cingulus
Racer

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Wow - very nice review and concise. Interesting point on the 458 and GT3 my assumption is for the track not a weekend driver?
I will keep my M3 and split time with the GT3. but I will expect the GT3 to be track and about 50% of daily.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:07 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
^^^Thanks for sharing your experience and it appeared very objective. You say that the GT3 has plenty of power yet now where near the 458. Can you elaborate a little on that??- I ask that because on paper to 60 and the quarter mile the GT3 seems to hold its own although you can not argue the HP differences
Jimmy, the 458 is faster on the straights because it has 100 more hp and weighs the same. Otherwise, the GT3 is faster in corners and curves which has a lot to with RWS.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:16 PM
cingulus
Racer

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
There is no question the 458 has more HP and torque. On the video I have from the drives, I was able to exit the last corner before the straightaway 10-15 MPH faster with the GT3, and get to about 110 MPH in the GT3 on the straight. In the 458, I was able to hit 130 over the same distance. When you first start out the 458 will slap you back in the seat, and you feel the pull "harder."

I found that in the 458, I could use to much power and the car traction control would reduce power. I never had that with the GT3, now this might be a comment that is more about the level of the electronic controls vs.absolute power. All I can say is that the way the GT3 applies the power is very usable, but you could see where other cars could out accelerate the GT3 in a straight line.

I was not able to use launch control and I am sure that is where you get the strongest pull with a GT3 and it might be the same as a 458. Those are the only data points I could give you with this drive time experience.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:19 PM
cingulus
Racer

It always amazes me when someone says they always drove manuals, and loved them. Will then accept the PDK so easily on one drive.

Just once i'd love to read someone say PDK sucks, and they won't buy a car with a computer shifting for them.
All I can say is I found the PDK to be a great transmission. It does not mean I would not buy a manual if I could, but the pdk did nothing to reduce fun I had driving the car or my desire to get one.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:24 PM
TrackFan
Banned

You had the speed of the track you keep you busy. Do you think you'll like the PDK as much on the street?

I have 250 miles round trip of beautiful mountain roads to get to the track. I want to be entertained there too.

Quick Reply: First Drive Impressions