Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Drive Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 08:52 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The raw driving experience will be the Brabham. The DD is just a spirited street car.

I've never owned an auto for my whole life. It's hard to start now, but I do like the 991, so maybe.

I haven't given up on the idea of a super clean 997 GT3RS either. I'm going to wait until everything is released, and I can read some feedback.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:42 PM
myphillylawyer
Track Day

I've owned the 458 and when I bought it I was coming from a 6speed 430 and thought I would miss my gated shifter. I didn't. The 458 transmission was entertaining, engaging and gave me all of the control that I wanted. To hear that the Gt3 is just as good or better is really welcome news. Not every paddle shifter is created equal. My M5 DCT is a DD but in no way can I say that the paddle shifting is rewarding. I will say that I still have a manual shifter in my collection...Audi R8 V10 sTasis challenge extreme. 709HP and incredible torque whenever and wherever I might be. My R8 has a metal gated shifter and so when I am in the mood to heel & toe the old fashion way I still have something in my arsenal. However the best paddle shifters are more than just effective they're enjoyable.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:56 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by TrackFan
It always amazes me when someone says they always drove manuals, and loved them. Will then accept the PDK so easily on one drive.

Just once i'd love to read someone say PDK sucks, and they won't buy a car with a computer shifting for them.
Forums are for giving opinions. Do we all have to think like you?
Butt hurt much? Seriously, a fella gives his review of the car, and states that the PDK works great and doesn't miss the manual and you complain that not enough people have hated on the PDK. Right.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:11 AM
TrackFan
Banned

No, I asked him how he could give up on the manual after liking it for so many years.

Don't look for an argument. I'm not interested.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:46 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No, I asked him how he could give up on the manual after liking it for so many years. Don't look for an argument. I'm not interested.
Yes, but you said the PDK-S was boring. You never answered where you drove the 991GT3 ( the only car equipped with the PDKS)
Old 07-28-2014, 01:02 AM
frayed
Race Car

No, I asked him how he could give up on the manual after liking it for so many years.
You obviously didn't read your entire post.

I guess I missed them. I've read some say they miss the manual, but still liked the PDK.
I know. I started some of them a year ago. It doesn't stop me from whining about it.
Wait. You missed all the PDK whining that has polluted this board over the last 10 months, or you started the whining, or both? *confused*
Old 07-28-2014, 03:43 AM
NYCone
Instructor

Originally Posted by cingulus
So I finally got a chance to drive the new GT3 today and on a track to boot

The car was a rental at ExoticsRacing in Las Vegas. I got to drive it back-to-back with a 458. If you have a chance, you should go out and drive the GT3 this way. Here are my impressions:

1. Steering – The steering is so precise the only thing I can compare it to is the 458. It really is point and shoot. Compared to my M3, which I have tracked many times, the steering is so much more capable, I had to re-learn how to steer a car. I had about 20 laps in the car and it took me about 10 to really trust the GT3 and to drive it as hard as I dared. My first laps on the 1.2 mile course were about 1:03 and once I just let the car do what it was designed to, my times dropped to about 55 seconds. The car just feels so good and I sure with time I could shave another 4-5 seconds of that time as I get better at judging break points. You really can just become one with the machine.

2. Power – As you would expect, plenty of power in car and it is readily available. It feels like more power than the numbers would indicate on paper. The PDK gives you so much control over how you apply power, it feels like magic. If you like lots of absolute muscle you will be disappointed in the car. It would not keep up with the 458 on the 1800m long straight, but it really caught up with them in the corners. I also found the low-speed power around the paddock to be “just right.”

3. PDK – I have had the chance to drive the GTR, 997.2 Turbo, 458, Lambo Superleggera, R8 V10 and GT3, all of which have paddles, at Exotics Racing over the past few months and the GT3 PDK is as good as it gets. The 458 is just as fast, but not as smooth. I have always driven manuals, just because I could. I don’t have a big bias either way, and I can tell you I did not miss the manual at all today over my laps. The PDK gave me absolute control over the car and it really became intuitive for me very quickly. The added bonus is my wife can drive the new GT3, of course, I hope does not like it too much.

4. Brakes – This car had steel brakes which is how mine will come. I am sure the PCCBs are great, but I could not find any faults with the steel brakes. Obviously, with this car being a rental the ride along instructor made sure I braked early enough to not take any real risks. It was clear that the brakes could be pushed much harder. We did 10 laps, took a break for about 5 minutes and then 10 more, I could not feel any fade at all.

5. Overall Ride – It felt about the same as my M3 that has KW3 coil-overs and extra sway bars, stiff but livable for a daily drive. I left OC at 7:30 am, drove 250 miles to Vegas, stopped for lunch ,hit the track at 1 pm and did my laps over 45 minutes and felt fine when I got out of the GT3. It was just like my M3. I then drove home 250 miles and was home by 7:30 pm no worse for the ware.

6. Seats – They felt good to me. I am 5’ 8” and 250, so it passed the “fat-***” factor. After about 20 laps I felt no issues and it was very comfortable. The leg bolsters left plenty of room and side bolsters hugged the ribs very well. I did not slide around at all.

7. Visibility – I did have to lift the seat up to get the right sight lines out of the car so I would guess for the taller guys it would be good.

The GT3 and 458 are the best cars I have ever driven. I must confess I could only afford a GT3, but I think that even if the 458 was an option for me I would still get a GT3.
Any thoughts on GT3 vs GTR?
Old 07-28-2014, 12:16 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Originally Posted by frayed
You obviously didn't read your entire post.

Wait. You missed all the PDK whining that has polluted this board over the last 10 months, or you started the whining, or both? *confused*
I haven't been on this forum for the last 10 months, so I did miss it.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:50 PM
cingulus
Racer

Originally Posted by NYCone
Any thoughts on GT3 vs GTR?
On the GTR vs the GT3, I rented one GTR at Exotics racing and also drove one on the Nurburgring with a rental from RSR, so I will blend some impressions.

1. Steering – The GTR steering wheel feel was about the same as the GT3, the car would begin to respond in same timeline, but the cars weight would cause a delay as the car shifted to respond to the input. You would want to begin to steer the car a bit sooner than with the GT3. Otherwise the steering on the car was rock solid and does seem to defy physics once it decided to go in a direction. I liked the steering and felt that it was engaging, I did not feel that it was like a video game at all.

2. Power – The GTR had a noticeable turbo lag on the short track, but just was a monster when the power hit. On the ring, I did not notice the lag as much. The extended straight-aways and longer turns made it ideal for that road course. Even on the ring there was still power left in the engine before you had to slow down. I never found the top end of the car. If you love to hit the peddle and get slammed back in your seat, you will love this engine. I did get to try the launch on the ring and it is awesome. I did not get to try the launch control on the GT3.

3. PDK/Transmission – The transmission sounds and bangs like it is ready to fall out of the car, but it does not. The shift felt 2x slower than the GT3 PDK. They have work to do to get this in the same league as the PDK. I did not like the paddle shift on this car. A guy at work was trading his 2011 GTR in and made me a very good offer on the car that was very well maintained and I passed after driving them on the track.

4. Brakes – I thought the brakes on the GTR where outstanding. It is one of the best functional parts of the car, however, a few guys that I have spoken with that own GTRs say that the GTR chews up brakes and tires about 3X as fast as other track cars they have had in the past. This was one of the reasons I stayed away from the car.

5. Overall Ride – it is stiff and a bit rough. I have to admit I liked the ride and it had a “hooligan” feel that appealed to me. Most people will probably not like the ride. My wife, who does like sports cars, hated it.

6. Interior – It is a Nissan on the inside…so lower your expectations, but it does have 4 useable seats and a decent trunk it that matters to you.

7. Body/Style – This is one of the polarizing things about the car. Again, I like the transformers angles. Personal choice.

8. Seats – They felt good to me, but I am not that picky on this point. As I said on the GT3, I am 5’ 8” and 250…it passed the “fat-***” factor.

9. Visibility – It has good sight lines in the front, the doors are a bit high and the rear pillars are large so your have to uses your mirrors for side visibility. Rear visibility is good. Rear visibility is the only bad point for the GT3 due to the wing.

At the end of the day I passed on the GTR, because it just felt like Godzilla powerful, but crude, despite the technology. Second, seemed like it would be expensive to own and operate for track days. Third, it just did not feel special for the money.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:58 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,770 Likes on 4,771 Posts

On the GTR vs the GT3, I rented one GTR at Exotics racing and also drove one on the Nurburgring with a rental from RSR, so I will blend some impressions.

1. Steering – The GTR steering wheel feel was about the same as the GT3, the car would begin to respond in same timeline, but the cars weight would cause a delay as the car shifted to respond to the input. You would want to begin to steer the car a bit sooner than with the GT3. Otherwise the steering on the car was rock solid and does seem to defy physics once it decided to go in a direction. I liked the steering and felt that it was engaging, I did not feel that it was like a video game at all.

2. Power – The GTR had a noticeable turbo lag on the short track, but just was a monster when the power hit. On the ring, I did not notice the lag as much. The extended straight-aways and longer turns made it ideal for that road course. Even on the ring there was still power left in the engine before you had to slow down. I never found the top end of the car. If you love to hit the peddle and get slammed back in your seat, you will love this engine. I did get to try the launch on the ring and it is awesome. I did not get to try the launch control on the GT3.

3. PDK/Transmission – The transmission sounds and bangs like it is ready to fall out of the car, but it does not. The shift felt 2x slower than the GT3 PDK. They have work to do to get this in the same league as the PDK. I did not like the paddle shift on this car. A guy at work was trading his 2011 GTR in and made me a very good offer on the car that was very well maintained and I passed after driving them on the track.

4. Brakes – I thought the brakes on the GTR where outstanding. It is one of the best functional parts of the car, however, a few guys that I have spoken with that own GTRs say that the GTR chews up brakes and tires about 3X as fast as other track cars they have had in the past. This was one of the reasons I stayed away from the car.

5. Overall Ride – it is stiff and a bit rough. I have to admit I liked the ride and it had a “hooligan” feel that appealed to me. Most people will probably not like the ride. My wife, who does like sports cars, hated it.

6. Interior – It is a Nissan on the inside…so lower your expectations, but it does have 4 useable seats and a decent trunk it that matters to you.

7. Body/Style – This is one of the polarizing things about the car. Again, I like the transformers angles. Personal choice.

8. Seats – They felt good to me, but I am not that picky on this point. As I said on the GT3, I am 5’ 8” and 250…it passed the “fat-***” factor.

9. Visibility – It has good sight lines in the front, the doors are a bit high and the rear pillars are large so your have to uses your mirrors for side visibility. Rear visibility is good. Rear visibility is the only bad point for the GT3 due to the wing.

At the end of the day I passed on the GTR, because it just felt like Godzilla powerful, but crude, despite the technology. Second, seemed like it would be expensive to own and operate for track days. Third, it just did not feel special for the money.
Nice write-up. Thanks for the comparison.

I think the R35 iteration of the GTR is a bit dated now. Nissan needs a major refresh (or revamp). The competition has definitely caught up to Godzilla, and if you buy the Nismo variant, it's not even that cost-effective vis-a-vis the competition, which was one of Godzilla's major selling points when it first arrived state-side.

Sort of like a JDM version of the 'Vette.

Can't wait to see what the R36 (hybrid?) brings for the GTR.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:19 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Cingulus, did you buy a GT3?
Old 07-28-2014, 03:30 PM
cingulus
Racer

Originally Posted by Nick
Cingulus, did you buy a GT3?
My GT3 is on order

Got my commission number with Dec. Delivery.

The GT3 I drove was a rental at Exotics Racing.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:27 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

My GT3 is on order

Got my commission number with Dec. Delivery.

The GT3 I drove was a rental at Exotics Racing.
The fact you have driven so many "exotics" and you selected the GT3 says a lot.

Quick Reply: First Drive Impressions