Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radar Jammer? Anyone see this with the V1???

Old 07-26-2014, 05:15 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Radar Jammer? Anyone see this with the V1???

I didnt know where to put this but I figured GT3 pilots have V1s on the way to the track and might have seen this before. I am cruising down hwy 395 in California today heading north. I see an audi RS5 coming up quick behind me.
As he gets beside me my Brand new V1 goes NUTS! 2 bogies ahead, then 3 on the side, 4 in front full deflection. 5 Behind. My wife is going SLOW DOWN!!! SLOW DOWN!!! I remind her that we are in Independence and we are going 25mph. She is programmed like Pavlovs dog to start screaming at me when the V1 goes off. We are seeing a counselor about this but nothing so far.
Any way he zips out of town and my V1 is doing the same thing. I am keeping pace about 7 car lengths behind and my V1 Just keeps screaming. We get to Big Pine and he pulls over and I DONT pull in behind and ask him what he has much to my chagrin about 30 seconds later. But I get a mile or so out of town and its STILL going nuts. His power output is not what I would call stealthy.
Finally about 2 minutes away from him everything settles down. Any ideas? Having worked as a GPS scientist in the late 80's and early 90s. I worked with Jamming alot. We tried to show the DOD that GPS can be jammed and we built all kinds for teaching.
Does ANYBODY have an idea what I saw. I am pretty sure he wasnt alien. but who knows with Obamas immigration plans or lack thereof.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:30 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Back in about 1985, I was traveling along I-80 from Warren, Ohio to Detroit with a Passport detector up and running. Suddenly it goes nuts, pegged at max for 3-4 miles. I'm looking around and finally I find the source; a beige pickup truck (a favorite color for Ohio state vehicles) with heavily tinted windows, a wind surfing board in the back and a state vehicle license plate on it. I can barely make out the silhouette of a passenger, who appears to be holding a radar gun! Once I clear the truck everything gets quiet.
Bastards.....
Old 07-26-2014, 11:52 AM
Engeljizzle
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
I didnt know where to put this but I figured GT3 pilots have V1s on the way to the track and might have seen this before. I am cruising down hwy 395 in California today heading north. I see an audi RS5 coming up quick behind me.
As he gets beside me my Brand new V1 goes NUTS! 2 bogies ahead, then 3 on the side, 4 in front full deflection. 5 Behind. My wife is going SLOW DOWN!!! SLOW DOWN!!! I remind her that we are in Independence and we are going 25mph. She is programmed like Pavlovs dog to start screaming at me when the V1 goes off. We are seeing a counselor about this but nothing so far.
Any way he zips out of town and my V1 is doing the same thing. I am keeping pace about 7 car lengths behind and my V1 Just keeps screaming. We get to Big Pine and he pulls over and I DONT pull in behind and ask him what he has much to my chagrin about 30 seconds later. But I get a mile or so out of town and its STILL going nuts. His power output is not what I would call stealthy.
Finally about 2 minutes away from him everything settles down. Any ideas? Having worked as a GPS scientist in the late 80's and early 90s. I worked with Jamming alot. We tried to show the DOD that GPS can be jammed and we built all kinds for teaching.
Does ANYBODY have an idea what I saw. I am pretty sure he wasnt alien. but who knows with Obamas immigration plans or lack thereof.

I used to own an Audi RS5 and I have ALWAYS run a V1 and there is a reason this car in particular does this. The Driver Assist function on the car uses a K Band signal and it made my v1 go insane. I had to get a passport that would allow me to disable all K Band signals. Hope this answers your question.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:09 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

Exactly. Some of the "driver aids" in the new Audis use radar - lane departure thing, adaptive cruise, all the crap that helps the incompetent folks stay alive on the road.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:15 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

Since you have a very new V1, you can make the lane-change warning radars go away by turning on the Traffic Monitor Filter. This option suppresses K-band POP reception as well, so it's not turned on at the factory. Since there are very few K-band POP radars loose in the wild and there are VERY many lane-change warning radars installed in new cars, it makes sense to turn on the TMF option.

Here's how to do it: http://www.valentine1.com/Lab/techreport3.asp

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and look at option "t".
Old 07-26-2014, 05:07 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 40 Posts

IIR, aren't radar jammers illegal....everywhere? Since radio band emissions in the speed detection/counterdetection require an FCC license.

And it could have just been a very poorly shielded detector. I sometimes get false positives from folks with crappy models.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:23 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ajax-Prime
IIR, aren't radar jammers illegal....everywhere? Since radio band emissions in the speed detection/counterdetection require an FCC license.

And it could have just been a very poorly shielded detector. I sometimes get false positives from folks with crappy models.
LASER (fine, LIDAR) jammers are illegal in Texas, a misdemeanor but it is not illegal to sell or install them!! I am always surprised as to how many people have them. They can't be completely hidden either. It is interesting to read about K band usage in new model cars. I haven't noticed an unusual pattern-less increase of signals in the K range. I'll pay more attention.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:36 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^ Thanks Mike! I would say you know a thing or two about that there V1 !
Looks like I need a newer V1, or can my 2+ year old one do that?
Old 07-26-2014, 07:02 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
LASER (fine, LIDAR) jammers are illegal in Texas, a misdemeanor but it is not illegal to sell or install them!! I am always surprised as to how many people have them. They can't be completely hidden either. It is interesting to read about K band usage in new model cars. I haven't noticed an unusual pattern-less increase of signals in the K range. I'll pay more attention.
Light emitters are one thing at the State level, but radio waves are Federal.

Similar to that guy who was rolling with a cell phone jammer.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:40 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Light emitters are one thing at the State level, but radio waves are Federal.

Similar to that guy who was rolling with a cell phone jammer.
Got it, thanks.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:09 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

The original poster's situation had nothing to do with radar jammers. The false alarms on his V1 were caused by the Audi's use of the K band to detect and avoid hitting other vehicles.

Last edited by alpine-al; 07-27-2014 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-26-2014, 11:33 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by alpine-al
The original poster's situation had nothing to do with radar hammers. The false alarms on his V1 were caused by the Audi's of the K band to detect and avoid hitting other vehicles.
Understood and not arguing. I just shared my experience that I haven't noticed it happening to me as I drive by new model Audis, Mercs, BMWs, etc. I use Passport and K band detection is ON.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:33 AM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by rubbaman
^^^ Thanks Mike! I would say you know a thing or two about that there V1 !
Looks like I need a newer V1, or can my 2+ year old one do that?
Hey Rob, just try to program it and see if it has a "t" selection to set.

Easy!
Old 07-27-2014, 06:48 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by W8MM
Hey Rob, just try to program it and see if it has a "t" selection to set.

Easy!
Good idea! Thanks Mike
Old 07-27-2014, 11:53 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 151 Posts

My V-1s can be programmed to ignore x and K bands.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Radar Jammer? Anyone see this with the V1???